Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 07:30 AM

881 posts, read 614,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
I know most of you have said its a stupid/dumb decision but I've retrieved stuff from the tracks countless times in my youth! I know I was able to hop back on the platform when I need to, quickly. I wouldn't do it though if I was unable or unaware of my (lack of) athletic abilities. At my age now....I'd rather let someone else fetch it for me.
I'm not even sure how these "accidents" actually happen -- I mean, you listen for the train (not always easy to tell, I know); you make sure you're not trying to retrieve something right at the bend of a tunnel; oftentimes you could look down the tunnel and see the previous train station...obviously, you've got to be able to very quickly hoist yourself up over a, what, five-foot obstacle (it's actually quite deep, the tracks)...and of course you visually locate your possessions beforehand (not fumbling after it only once on the tracks)....

Again, I'm really curious how all these accidents happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
You know this girl will relive this moment for the rest of her life. She lost both legs over a wallet. That is a whole lot of physical training to adapt to the change. She has a good amount left in her life. I hope she has a strong relationship with her immediate family cause she is going to need someone....
Apparently she's a Caroll Gardens resident so it's quite possible that she's financially okay at least!

Old 12-05-2017, 07:36 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
Apparently she's a Caroll Gardens resident so it's quite possible that she's financially okay at least!
If she has no insurance then she is screwed... Will her job still keep her on the payroll or request that she resigns?? A lot of variables at play, dawg!

Old 12-05-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
If she has no insurance then she is screwed... Will her job still keep her on the payroll or request that she resigns?? A lot of variables at play, dawg!
Well, I'd meant that most Carroll Gardens residents seem to be financially comfortable so if she conforms to type, at least she'd have that...and oh, there's always disability (SSI/SSDI/whatever -- homeless shelters are full of scam-bags waiting on their applications for these programs being resolved on appeal)....

Old 12-05-2017, 07:46 AM

666 posts, read 512,362 times
I agree that what this woman did was foolish but what makes you all think she did this over a "wallet?" People keep house keys and ID in their purses. If her keys were in there, she could've been in a panic, especially coming home that time of night. If her phone was in there, that would've been even worse, as she wouldn't have been able to call anyone to help her out. In any event, I wonder why there aren't any signs posted around the station telling people what to do in a situation like this.

I would never in a million years encourage anyone to do this but if I had any advice, wait until after a train passes to pull a stunt like this, and listen for the station announcements and read the LED signs telling you when the next train is coming. She must have been oblivious (possibly drunk) to not only not hear the announcement but not see the light from the upcoming train in the distance.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:01 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
Well, I'd meant that most Carroll Gardens residents seem to be financially comfortable so if she conforms to type, at least she'd have that...and oh, there's always disability (SSI/SSDI/whatever -- homeless shelters are full of scam-bags waiting on their applications for these programs being resolved on appeal)....
a major death or health incident can wipe out your financial safety net. That is what i am saying.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:07 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
I agree that what this woman did was foolish but what makes you all think she did this over a "wallet?" People keep house keys and ID in their purses. If her keys were in there, she could've been in a panic, especially coming home that time of night. If her phone was in there, that would've been even worse, as she wouldn't have been able to call anyone to help her out. In any event, I wonder why there aren't any signs posted around the station telling people what to do in a situation like this.

I would never in a million years encourage anyone to do this but if I had any advice, wait until after a train passes to pull a stunt like this, and listen for the station announcements and read the LED signs telling you when the next train is coming. She must have been oblivious (possibly drunk) to not only not hear the announcement but not see the light from the upcoming train in the distance.
Why would they need to post a sign about comm on sense? So it should ok to retrieve stuff when there's no train? There are signs that says 3rd rail is electrified. Anyway, who really read signs in NYC?

So your wisdom suggest maybe it's better to wait for an announcement to know if a train is coming or not and then take the chance to retrieve the item?

Walking on train tracks is illegal.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:43 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Why would they need to post a sign about comm on sense? So it should ok to retrieve stuff when there's no train? There are signs that says 3rd rail is electrified. Anyway, who really read signs in NYC?

So your wisdom suggest maybe it's better to wait for an announcement to know if a train is coming or not and then take the chance to retrieve the item?

Walking on train tracks is illegal.
In any case, there already ARE signs about this, and also announcements telling people if they drop something on the tracks, they should not retrieve it themselves, but instead find an MTA employee to assist them.

So your assessment is correct -- no one reads signs in NYC, except me, apparently.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:01 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Years ago, while on my way to work, I dropped a 14K gold bracelet on the tracks. It was on 14th Street - where the A and C trains run. I just left it there, didn't even call an MTA worker. I still think about it today, although I'm grateful that I have all of my limbs, health, and life!

Old 12-05-2017, 09:22 AM

666 posts, read 512,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Go back and read what I said, next time counting slowly to 10 to calm yourself down. Not every person you meet is The Enemy and not every discussion has to be an argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City