Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 08:49 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
After being raised in NYC as a little kid, then growing up on Long island, now back in Queens.... i'm starting to realize that the real local NYers are in the suburbs, like LI. It seems they grow up in the city, then move to the suburbs to start a family. The real NY seems to be in the suburbs these days. So many people I encounter in the city now are the 20-something wannabes who want the s*x and the city lifestyle and just want to live in NY for the sake of saying they live in NY.
Plenty of NY'ers in the city still, in the outer boroughs. But yeah Manhattan is pretty much the way you described it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 09:06 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
Quote:
After being raised in NYC as a little kid, then growing up on Long island, now back in Queens.... i'm starting to realize that the real local NYers are in the suburbs, like LI. It seems they grow up in the city, then move to the suburbs to start a family. The real NY seems to be in the suburbs these days. So many people I encounter in the city now are the 20-something wannabes who want the s*x and the city lifestyle and just want to live in NY for the sake of saying they live in NY.
Yep. I agree with NY 81 though that the outer boros, at least the non-gentrified parts, are the "real" New Yorkers too. The funny part is how many of the Manhattanites fawn about "New York" but the parts that actually resemble what New York was are areas they thumb their noses at. What they really want is an open air mall with expensive shoes.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 6,612 times
Quote:
Yeah your right. I grew up in Queens and my whole family on both sides were born in either Bushwick and East NY Brooklyn and moved to Queens and western LI to get away from the city. Back then Ozone Park was like moving to the country. People like this girl are the reason the real NY is disappearing from NYC, trendy wannabe's making my home turn into just another boring watered down suburb like the rest of the country. Its pretty disgusting honestly. Manhattan at this point is nothing but rich people, even the LES which was my teenage playground with the punk and hardcore scene, a place these people wouldnt dare step foot in back in the day, is filled with transplant yuppie scum who think their "cool" for hanging out in that neighborhood, cause it used to be cool, too bad they dont realize they are the reason it sucks now. God save NYC from this horrible invasion of sex and the city/friends/etc. minded people, go back to whereever you came from your killing our culture and the city we love...

Old 03-21-2008, 11:32 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
I know parts of Queens still have true NYers. These areas aren't exactly the "hip" areas and are lesser known parts. I have family in Maspeth, which is where my dad grew up. It's western Queens, but not too good of a commute to Manhattan, so that's probably why. I moved to Maspeth last June and stayed there for 6 months. I mostly saw people who have had their houses passed down through generations (just like how that one side of my family is). Now I moved to Astoria in queens and it's totally different. It's all 20-something professionals, and I can just tell by the way they talk they aren't local. I see them all over the N/W too. It's all the same types of people who come from nowheresville and move to NY because it's cool. I see some real NYers here, just the older couples who are pushing 80. At least there's some real NYers lol

Old 03-21-2008, 11:51 AM

471 posts, read 1,475,552 times
Haha. What about people like me (living in the suburbs of NY, westchester, putnam/dutchess) who want to move to the city?

Technically, We /are/ NYers. But, would we be classified as "yuppie scum"? Hah

Old 03-21-2008, 12:00 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolistraffic View Post
Haha. What about people like me (living in the suburbs of NY, westchester, putnam/dutchess) who want to move to the city?

Technically, We /are/ NYers. But, would we be classified as "yuppie scum"? Hah
Obviously you can move wherever you want, subject to financial restraints and such. Whether you'd be viewed as "yuppie scum" totally depends on your attitude. There are people from Westchester who have always embraced the whole area and respect it. Then there are the ones, many of whose parents grew up in the city and then fled it, who are not really distinguishable from yuppies moving in from Ohio. They're excessively scared of crime and have no clue about life in the city or the different neighborhoods because they rely on outdated stereotypes they heard from people back home.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:25 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,552 times
Haha. Interesting.

My mom is from the Bronx but moved up to Westchester where she had me. She didn't want us to have the childhood she had. You know, the typical bronx italian family life style.

Personally, I love diversity, social and ethnic. And, crime really doesn't bother me. I mean, haha. I was born and raised in White Plains (sure, not as bad as the city, but, eh, white plains /is/ a city), so, my skin is a tad "thicker" then, say, a kid from Ohio who lived in an all white neighborhood.

My biggest fear is not being able to adapt to the city lifestyle. ha

Old 03-21-2008, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,772,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc View Post
Since u sound like u don't like in nyc...let me tell u. Everyone...- mean everyone take the subway! Doesn't matter if u rich or poor. Haven u heard....majority of the ppl here don't own a car. She is single and don't have kids. So family of 4 is irrevelant. And if u make $150k/yr and can't live a comfortable life in manhattan...then u have budget issue and need to seek conseling.
There is a whole completely different world out of your outer-borough that you obviously have no clue about. I know many spoiled trust-funders, wealthy eurotrashy transplants, WASPy Upper East Siders and downright vain people people who would never ever ride the subway - ever. They either use car service, drive their own personal car or use cabs.

Most people do have cars in New York City. Statistics put it at about 45+% cars registered in New York City. And in Manhattan there are 25+% registered. Key word "registered." I know many people who live in Manhattan who have their cars registered back in their home state of Texas, California, Florida and even New Jersey, Pennsylvania or Connecticut (because it's much cheaper). Still, most people don't have cars in Manhattan (but it's larger than 25%), but most people do have cars as a whole in New York City.

And $150,000 a year isn't a lot in Manhattan.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,772,513 times
Also, there are people living the Sex and the City lifestyle, but they make much more than $150,000.

You will live comfortably, but you will not be living in luxury condos, riding/driving luxury cars, sipping wine and flipping through look-books with your shopper at Barney's, buying Christian Louboutin's or Jimy Choo's on a regular basis or going out to MASA twice a week.

The lifestyle portrayed on Sex and the City is reality in some circles, but not on your current salary.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:21 PM

857 posts, read 2,002,220 times
This thread is a real gem!

Disclaimer - i moved out of the city years ago and am now a B&T-er, but i still work here every day.

OP needs a reality check. Why do you want to move to new york so bad? Have you ever even been here? Just like the others said - you are basing your judgements on a TV SHOW!
A lot of new york living is running through the rain cause your umbrella got blown out onto an overcrowded subway, hold your breath while you stand next to some wierdo who sh*t himself, to your job where you work 12 hours a day, cause if you don't, you will be replaced by some wannabe from baltimore just dying to get to ny. Watch the sun set on your luch hour (cause that's the first free minute you get all day) Leave the office long after the elevator guy has gone home for the night, walk up the 5 flights to your studio or one bd share with a partition, heat up some ramen noodles and off to bed at about 1am.

Sure, there are some great restaurants, nightlife, and culture, but life is mundane and redundant here, just like everywhere else. Hate to burst your bubble.

Is it me, or is manhattan made of of only two types of people - phenomenally wealthy execs and post-college wannabe transplants that spend their savings on clothes and VIP tables? I got news for ya - if you're gonna buy yourself a seat at a club - they only way you can pull it off is if that is just F-you money to you. And making 150k in NYC - it certainly won't be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City