Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 02:01 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No! wrong and wrong!

Not one chef is saying, I like (insert now trendy ethnic food here) so much that I am dedicated to perfecting the craft of making it. They are doing it to capitalize!

If they really respected food as art, their vision would be totally different.

Why do you think you haven't seen any replica gourmet Caribbean places for hipsters in Crown Heights yet? Because they're not immersed in the culture! But maybe you will see one soon.
There was a huge run on baos a few years back.

Grilled and salted shisito peppers seem to pop up on random menus for some reason.

Chopped cheese is funny because it's such a small variation on sandwiches and it's probably compelling, commercially or for fun, for some because it's supposed to have been invented in some part of the city rather than simply taking a dish from another cuisine entirely.

I think a more arguable comparison to fancy chopped cheese than some ethnic cuisine dish from another part of the world is someone making fancy bagels (exists), pastrami sandwiches (also exists), fancy General Tso's Chicken (fancy ones do exist sometimes tongue-in-cheek, though this dish is so ubiquitous that I doubt many know it's from NYC), or a fancy halal combo (probably exists).

As an aside, does Glady's count as replica gourmet Caribbean place for hipsters in Crown Heights? It's good and all, but I've had better Caribbean in the neighborhood for something like 20 to 30% lower costs though I guess those places aren't much good for a date.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:11 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
]Please address the should could crystal ball that you believe people should have had, before you and I were both born?

Huh? How about going to community board meetings? How about running for city council? How about participating in activist groups? That's what I meant by showing up. (as opposed to complacancy... that's how it is, I can't do anything to change anything, I won't try. Or if I do, I will do so by screaming and shouting and pointing fingers and not offering constructive alteratives solutions, not backing up ideas with data. )
Quote:
I think their understanding of gentrification is misguided, but lobbying for what they want is what they should be doing. We should all lobby for what we want. You don't get what you don't ask for. And in the lobbying, even if you lose, you might at least win concesssions. Sometimes influence is like a slow drip. Think about OWS, followed by the Bernie Sander's movement. The status quo is changing... thankfully.
You don't need a crystal ball, you need to know the history of the city. None of what is happening now is some big accident and none of these areas have gentrified through attrition. This is the plan for the city and how's it working out for you?

I've been to community board meetings, tenants' association meetings, jury duty, I worked the census and the polls on election day and I fought like an animal to stop my Mitchell-Lama complex from going private. I marched with the 99% and OWS and I'd have voted for Bernie Sanders if I'd had the opportunity and all of it, all the activism and effort and years and years and years of trying to wake people the F up to what was going on around them in housing, in labor - it stopped nothing. People are convinced to vote against their own best interests, people work three jobs and don't have time to go to meetings and marches, and people are stupid.

Why we need to keep talking about 50 yrs ago is that people, and mostly people of color, got the message from Robert Moses about their place in the future of the city and here we are, with his wildest dreams coming true.

Quote:
Agreed! I've been looking for authentic bimbibop for years, and have not yet found a place that matched the first time I had it.
Try Flushing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
I think, as usual, people's egos are too wrapped up in things...the racial resentments are too deeply ingrained but we live in a capitalist system and much as anyone may moan and ache, gentrification is going to happen simply because it needs to happen.

No other way to get money into those neighborhoods.
Nobody wants to get money into those neighborhoods; they want to get money out of them.

In fact, today's news had the big "news" that DiBlasio says the city is going to purchase buildings - cluster buildings - where they've been housing the homeless and paying the landlords exorbitant rents. But you know why this is going to hurt regular people even more? These were rent stabilized buildings and rather than rent to working people at a reasonable rate, they stuck homeless people in there and the landlords got market rate from the city (out of your tax dollars). What do you think will happen to the stabilized tenants when the city buys the buildings to use for the homeless? How much do you think DiBlasio will pay his developer cronies for these run-down old buildings? Do you think that any of that was an accident from the first minute they moved a homeless person in?

Old 12-14-2017, 05:40 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
They already are defining it when they explicitly talk about black and brown people being pushed it. Just read between the lines. I said it before, but you have some people of color that want the area to stay that way and they get to say it (or at least imply) because all of the power is in the "white man's hands" so they can want to essentially segregated if you will, but others would be called out for such behavior.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:43 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
The tidday man has spoken.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:53 PM

652 posts, read 340,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Let's face it: gentrified upper/middle class white culture is boring and bland. These people from this culture would agree as well.
Just proves that racists come in all shapes, sizes and colors.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:40 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
I think, as usual, people's egos are too wrapped up in things...the racial resentments are too deeply ingrained but we live in a capitalist system and much as anyone may moan and ache, gentrification is going to happen simply because it needs to happen.

No other way to get money into those neighborhoods.
That and the city needs the tax base in order to pay for services. If the city were using the real estate taxes g
to properly maintain the subway I think people would complain less. The other thing that screws the market up is no enforcing of occupancy laws. Too many people for the housing that exists.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:27 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Honestly, , big parts of the city are for tourists, business people who need to be in the city for short periods of time, and students.

Paying massive amounts of money for rent long term is unsustainable. People who are paying half or more of their salary to rent a room are going to end up homeless old people if they stubbornly stick to this.

There are plenty of cheaper places to live in the US, and even in the Northeast. Move over to Jersey. Or upstate. Or leave the region altogether. Don't stay in situations that ruin your future.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:19 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
They already are defining it when they explicitly talk about black and brown people being pushed it. Just read between the lines. I said it before, but you have some people of color that want the area to stay that way and they get to say it (or at least imply) because all of the power is in the "white man's hands" so they can want to essentially segregated if you will, but others would be called out for such behavior.
No it’s moreso they are getting kicked out due to affordability

It’s not the reverse racism you are trying to play which doesn’t exist. Gentrification has huge consequences because the changes are not being made for the long time residents but for the new ones in mind. Which pushes and alienate locals. Nothing to due with race because even black people can push gentrification as long as their income bracket is much larger than the locals

If there was a balance people wouldn’t care but with gentrification it isn’t and unfortunately low income minorities don’t have the upper hand in this scenario. Developers raising rents triple the price, kicking out long term residents and businesses.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENSNY1975 View Post
Ok so I have been watching this tread and I have to ask, if you had to predict with current population trends going on with gentrification and people who want to stay (Ethnic Whites) and all what do you think the city will look like in 2020, by the time the census is taken once again. Will there be a gain the White population or a continue slow decline in it? In 2010 whites accounted for 33.3% down from 35% in 2000.
It’s no doubt going to be an increase. Minorities can’t afford the city anymore

Too bad the census don’t take account all of the white foreigners living here temporarily. That number would be higher

Old 12-15-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Holding on to property for 40 years, through red-lining in the 70's and the housing bubble in both the 80s and 2000's.... I think they earned the right to capitalize off of property.
Half of them did not have the properties for 40 years and if they did all the corporate welfare and tax breaks they received made up for the inconvenience of graffiti. Most small time landlords are screwed by the system while the big time developers trick the small guys by buying up property for a huge price cut.

What are you smoking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City