Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 03:01 PM

881 posts, read 615,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topman View Post
Another question is white does it take an influx of white people moving in Bed Stuy Fort Greene Harlem etc to make facilities get better? garbage was never pick up on time and in Morris park they played African Drums for 40 years and now they cant because of the new inhabitants.
Good riddance -- though there's still the subways for multicultural mayhem.

And please stop complaining about trash in the hood; ghetto garbage is 100% caused by the inhabitants. Anyone who doubts this needs to go live in the ghetto themselves (and not just at its peripheries, perhaps)...this is the same reason why it takes gentrification to make things better -- any time minority morons don't like something, they riot...then complain about how there's nothing in their nabes!

Quote:
When Michael Jackson died they wanted to have a celebration in Fort Greene Park but the white folks put the breaks on it and it was held in Prospect Park . You cant just come into neighborhoods and Bogart them. Then they change the name of the neighborhoods.
Excellent: gentrification now, gentrification forever!

Quote:
What the heck is Stuyvesant heights ?
The part where no homeless homies are trying to smoke crack from a banana as if it were a pipe, unwashed urchins try crowdfunding on literally every corner and at almost every store entrance, nor deranged denizens scream about Jesus or UFOs (all things I've seen).

Old 12-21-2017, 04:47 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
Now that's just too facile.

While I believe context predominates, it's just not true that society is "guilty"...people are born into a society through absolutely no fault of their own, so it really dilutes the meaning of words (and minorities seem to really like doing this for some reason, like how blacks can't be racist because blacks have no power) to just toss 'em around like bombs....

I'm really against this idea of assigning guilt -- not only is it unhelpful and thus impractical, it's not even true philosophically (morally)!

Again just not true...leaving aside the argument that complaining constitutes its own "doing," this is an impractical attitude because it compels you to feel like you have to "do something" -- which often winds up being just anything -- because doing "nothing" then becomes the ultimate sin (so hey, "at least I tried")....

I believe the Abrahamic religions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam constitute the world's Greatest Curse of Curses by far -- it so infects our language and thought-processes that we cannot see reality without recourse to its distorted lens of guilt and damnation.

As the Chinese would advise, better to do nothing than to be busy doing nothing.

Or to paraphrase Krishnamurti's more pointed observations, a lot of great mischief comes from simply wanting to do something.

Who cares if it's "defeatist" if what you care for is the truth of a matter?

Maybe they are indeed unsolvable...why would you draw a conclusion before you've investigated the matter?

And if you've investigated the matter, present your findings -- simply challenging another without evidence is bad form.

Actually, almost everybody would -- it's just that no one actually knows what they're dealing with and understandably wouldn't want to take the chance.

It's why I come down so hard on my fellow homeless -- they really do smoke/drink/sleep all day!!! Not every one, and maybe not even a majority, but an incredibly high number of them do...and they blame racism, blah blah blah...but these people are literally walking stereotypes!!! Every conversation devolves into "racism" and their schlongs -- they themselves perpetuate stereotypes but blame others for "racism"....

What a ridiculous challenge -- it's her contention that she has no responsibility towards them.

I might as well ask you what you've done for West Point football lately....

And again, I'm such a leftist that I think public nudity should be okay (and "eff" "the children!") so yeah I support a minimum living wage in theory...but I think that's ultimately just a case of a dog/cat chasing its own tail -- better would be to explore automation and Universal Basic Income.

Otherwise, I suspect it will just be arguing over, and then merely changing, the color of the curtains on our prison cell window (to use Krishnamurti's great analogy).

A thinking human being.

Which is, unfortunately, a rarity still.
This is not a conversation I was having with you, and save your typing telling me it's an open forum. But before you accuse me of being a troll, go and find a mirror. BTW, you're right: you say you're white, you're smart, and if it's true you have no qualifications to back you up, you're the perfect person to game the welfare system.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Oh you mean the area which is still majority black. I didnt know all those wealthy blacks who still own there brownstones in that area smoked crack?
No, I should hope not -- but you're evidently stating that they are noisy, etc. Did you mean this or have you misspoken?

Quote:
NYC will continue to be whitewashed and bland forever I guess. This is why I like places like New Orleans who are able to gentrify but still maintain its rich culture. NYC not so much anymore it’s becoming super commercialized
And I say again: we need realistic and practical urban planning so that folks who prefer "color" or "edge" or "spice" can get it up the wazoo in their own clearly delineated (and maybe even walled-off -- certainly heavily guarded at the borders) neighborhoods.

That's a win-win as far as I can see.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
This is not a conversation I was having with you, and save your typing telling me it's an open forum.
Ah, so on an open internet forum I have to "know my place" whereas when Black Lives Matter rioters get ants in the their pants, it's okay for them to hold up traffic, scream into loudspeakers, and burn down non-black businesses.

Quote:
But before you accuse me of being a troll, go and find a mirror.
Just as an FYI, "troll" doesn't mean "someone who won't agree with me no matter how much I whine."

You are either not intellectually honest or mentally competent for an extended discussion so I shan't be saying anything anymore to you after this, either.

Quote:
BTW, you're right: you say you're white, you're smart, and if it's true you have no qualifications to back you up, you're the perfect person to game the welfare system.
Why are black and brown people who lay around in bed all day smoking weed while waiting years on their disability applications not "gaming the system" but I who work every day and save prodigiously somehow am?

Aw, never mind -- save your hissy fit for the next forum post you see.

Last edited by HomelessLoser; 12-21-2017 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: Bolding and underlining of text.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Block Parties used to be big but now since all the white people with kids have taken over they barely have them. Calling police because of noise was never the norm until gentrification started happening. Look at Fort Greene park. House music events have to shut down early because the people don't like the noise. Also the gentrifiers have been trying to get Afropunk shut down for a while etc. Gentrification sucked the life out of the gay village. I remember watching Paris is burning and how the pier was a huge gathering spot for LGBT now you cant gather there.

Another question is white does it take an influx of white people moving in Bed Stuy Fort Greene Harlem etc to make facilities get better? garbage was never pick up on time and in Morris park they played African Drums for 40 years and now they cant because of the new inhabitants. When Michael Jackson died they wanted to have a celebration in Fort Greene Park but the white folks put the breaks on it and it was held in Prospect Park . You cant just come into neighborhoods and Bogart them. Then they change the name of the neighborhoods. What the heck is Stuyvesant heights ?
Great example of the fact that gentrification doesn't just bring new people, or new money. In the end, it will wipe out everything old and do it with the attitude that the new way is better and "no one" misses the old.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I shan't be saying anything anymore to you after this, either.

Do you promise?

Old 12-21-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
People I haven't met and whose situations and attitudes I know nothing about... please don't get me going. I was far more compassionate until I started meeting the welfare population en masse in the course of my work. After I was able to observe their situations and attitudes, I became dismayed, appalled, and disgusted - because I was very much in their situations, but I never had their attitudes.
I understand what you say about attitude. My only answer is that you didn't have the backgrounds and influences those people did and they didn't have yours. You couldn't possibly have come out of the same experience the same way.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:58 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
Yes, I do actually read posts, which in your case might be easier if you worked on your written English. I did not anywhere say that you called Afroamericans morons - you and your buddy HomelessLoser called a large swath of the population other than yourselves morons. No race was indicated. Several people writing to me here keep saying I favor minorities but I find they insert the minorities into the conversation where I have not. I do stand by the fact that minorities are treated separate and unequal in the US.

Thank you for the heads up on white people. What color am I in your imagination?

If you are going to make judgments, you should first learn to spell the word correctly, you being so superior and all. And I do find in reading your writing that you have a very superior attitude - in fact, you're a better American than I am because you worked for it while I was just born to it. How lazy am I? I guess citizens like you deserve more rights. I may judge you based on the things you write, but I don't judge, en masse, or in particular, people I haven't met and whose situations and attitudes I know nothing about. I don't condemn them as morons who deserve to flip burgers.

You and your solutions are starting to remind me of other historical figures who had solutions.
Actually I previously read this post in very cursory fashion (I have been posting throughout the day while doing other things, so couldn't read or write too carefully), and I only now notice that you, being such a superior speller, are telling me that if I am going to make judgments, I should first learn to spell the the word correctly, namely the word judgment. But if you are such a superior speller, how come you are not aware that the word is most commonly spelled as judgement in Britain? The variant of English that I learned originally was the British variant, so I still occasionally spell some words the way I originally learned them, particularly when writing in a hurry (sorry, but this Forum does not occupy such a high place in my life that I would dignify my contributions with the use of spelling checker(.

Hmm, and you tell me I am acting "superior" :-). If you insist upon correcting people's grammar and spelling, I suggest you may first want to learn what spelling variants are actually acceptable (and in fact more common in certain parts of English-speaking world).

Old 12-21-2017, 06:28 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
I would recommend it, frankly -- even if only as a "civic exercise" of sorts to acquaint yourself with "how the other half lives"....

Personally (since you'd asked before and such details seem most pertinent now to divulge, given the topic), I was living paycheck-to-paycheck like many, on a financial treadmill, and I realized, hey, wait a minute, what about that fabled all-inclusive welfare of the most feverish Republican fantasies?? Why don't I get some of that??

After all, I was newly divorced again, out of a job again, and had officially entered middle age without formal credentials or any really marketable qualifications...sounds like a moron who needs welfare, no??

Been working since 14, paying taxes, had served in Army infantry, stayed out of trouble, helped a lost old man home once without compensation among other very good deeds...so why don't I get me some of that storied welfare, too??

Of course not -- so much encouragement of "expressing yourself" but none of listening to the other side.

Indeed, we have much to learn from Singapore's experiments in this!

Yeah, I'm not sure which study you have in mind but so far nothing looks good for Universal Basic Income's financial prospects -- though I do believe these few investigations only look at things as-is, whereas Universal Basic Income will obviously require wholesale tinkering (for example, Bernie Sanders' proposed penny-tax on every Wall Street transaction; a penny on the average eight to twelve billion trades a day in NYC...think about it: a hundred million dollars a day [yes, yes, there may very well be economic consequences to such a levy and I'm most interested in exploring them])....

LOL

When the intellectually weak (morons) have no arguments, they resort to "who are you to judge" and "did a black guy schtumpf your girl"....

H.Loser, you are very verbal, which trait I normally greatly enjoy in people, but I do not have time at the moment to read all you wrote (will do it eventually, though). Just a computational comment: the monthly figure of $750 that I gave for the UBI is from my own "study" which consisted of taking about 60% of the next year's projected IRS revenue of $3.654 trillion (keeping the remaining 40% or so aside for the national defense), then dividing this $2 trillion of available tax revenue by 12 (to get the monthly figure for the entire country), then dividing this figure by 3/4 of 310 million (since, according to the last census, the population of the US was about 310 million, and 3/4 of that were the people over 21) to get the monthly figure for each US adult. That figure is approximately $750.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:14 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,758,430 times
Quote:
Block Parties used to be big but now since all the white people with kids have taken over they barely have them. Calling police because of noise was never the norm until gentrification started happening. Look at Fort Greene park. House music events have to shut down early because the people don't like the noise. Also the gentrifiers have been trying to get Afropunk shut down for a while etc. Gentrification sucked the life out of the gay village. I remember watching Paris is burning and how the pier was a huge gathering spot for LGBT now you cant gather there.
Block parties were very common in the 70s and 80s. It was an era where people hung outdoors, spent time on the stoops etc. There have been a lot of factors that contributed to a cultural shift where people spend more time indoors and do not know their neighbors. So my question to you. Are you attributing it to (white) gentrification rather than changing times? The area I lived in just before my move to the Bronx still had block parties. But that area was one of the few areas that had an old school NY feel. It was not an area known for poc btw.

Quote:
Another question is white does it take an influx of white people moving in Bed Stuy Fort Greene Harlem etc to make facilities get better? garbage was never pick up on time and in Morris park they played African Drums for 40 years and now they cant because of the new inhabitants. When Michael Jackson died they wanted to have a celebration in Fort Greene Park but the white folks put the breaks on it and it was held in Prospect Park . You cant just come into neighborhoods and Bogart them. Then they change the name of the neighborhoods. What the heck is Stuyvesant heights ?
Facilities get better when people vote, call their officials and make noise. Since I moved to the Bronx there is a culture of ‘well that is how it is’ vs. ‘this is unfair and I am going to do something about it.’ I have had more than a few conversations urging people to speak up for themselves.

Fort greene park? It’s pretty obvious. Michael Jackson is one of the most well known figures in music. Fort Greene park is wayyyyy too small.

Real estate developers change the name of neighborhoods. That’s a different discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City