Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 11:21 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times

Advertisements

Q1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
I hope they do, too, so that five years from now we can watch you cry when developers start pushing you and other gentrification apologists out of your neighborhoods to make way for real estate speculators and 1%ers. Or whine about the explosion in homelessness and vagrancy when the people who get pushed out of the South Bronx wind up setting up encampments in your neck of the woods.
Your thinking seems to be that the evil 1%ers (aka hipsters, aka white folks) live off of stealing everything from subsidized minorities, and now wish to steal the Bronx from the subsidized minorities as well.

The reality is that 1%ers pay about one half of public funds to subsidize welfare-dependent people (not necessarily only minorities), and couldn't care less about living in the Bronx (they live in large guarded homes, where they worry about running their businesses, not about stealing from the poor). Hipsters tend to be ****-poor 20-somethings with sophisticated mind and temporary minimum-wage job at Starbucks, who have nothing to do with 1%ers (except that they try to emulate some of the 1%er sophistication, on minimum-wage budget). About 99% of whites are not 1%ers.

The reality is also that middle-income people of any race pay the other half of public funds to subsidize welfare-dependent people. These middle-income people are priced out of most areas in NYC, and they would rather subsidize the roof over their own head than somebody else's. If the Bronx ever gentrifies, these middle-income people will be its rightful and deserving gentrifiers. The stuff about 1%ers is the stuff of your fantasy.

Last edited by elnrgby; 12-26-2017 at 12:10 PM..

Old 12-26-2017, 12:14 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,758,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
So, the Christmas is over - anyone interested in continuing this thread?

H.Loser has argued that a moronic welfare-dependent behavior is bred into certain people's DNA, while Roseba has argued that almost irreversible patterns of behavior are copied from immediate family into a child's brain by a very early age. But what about people who try very hard (and succeed) to escape negative ancestral patterns of behavior/growing up in negative environment, what is different about those people? Strength of motivating factors, maybe?
Please don't mischaracterize my words. Mental health treatment can do a lot for people in breaking cycles. But almost no demographic recognizes therapy as the tool it is. People want to get into shape, they hire a personal trainer. People want to achieve goals or break habits, they go to therapy. It's a good tool and it isn't used as it could be used because of stigma and expense.

Quote:
but it does not change a destructive behavior, either of a group or a person.
You are misinformed. Cognitive behavioral therapy is one of many modalities that can change people. There is also mindfulness, dbt and a whole slew of therapies. However, it takes hard work, it takes a good therapist, and the right therapist, and it takes time. Finally, we all have different personalities that react and adapt to different things.

Quote:
I think the only things that can change a hardwired brain habit are the factors that increase motivation to change (which can be helped with certain medications actually, although I am not proposing yet to medicate groups of people out of welfare :-)
That's a broad prescriptive that is not necessarily effective depending on what it is. It can help people with Bi-polar but it less effective for people who have borderline personality disorder (or any mood disorder.) Many people with one diagnosis on the DSM may have multiple. Each are unique. Medication therapy is almost always ineffective without talk therapy to help people see and reframe things in their heads.

Quote:
if you work with a speech therapist, practice relentlessly, and listen to your own taped voice). But if having a foreign accent were illegal in the US, I would surely have made an effort to erase it.
What if you were told you entire life that the effort you made wouldn't matter? What if you were told the accent is a part of your heritage and to try to erase that would be an insult to your family and your people. There are countless things that are programmed into people that undermine their conscious efforts. Most self-sabatoge is not conscious self-sabatoge. People are also born with a certain innate comfort with change. That's why people from the same family can be very different, one very open to new ideas, and the other very conservative. No level of rational discussion turns someone from liberal to conservative or the other way. This is how they were born. See the books, lectures, and videos by Paul Bloom, professor at Yale. They are also formed by the culture they lived in. For all the self-congratulations you do about your efforts, your ideology is a neon-sign to where you were raised. It's very former and typical soviet block point of view.

Quote:
But a brain habit of generational welfare dependence, having numerous kids one cannot support, abandoning education, and pursuing crime
Why does an intelligent lady like yourself have so much cognitive dissonance here. Do you think the kids at 8 years old say, "i want to be a dependent of the state?" Dig deeper. Do you think there might be something to despair, hopelessness, pointlessness? Do you think growing up and struggling and struggling and never see the fruit of that labor manifest might contribute to complacency and a sense of the situation being "fixed" and immovable? (I've been there; not with finances, but other parts of my life where all I did is try and try, and try and watch others who were less accomplished but more connected get a leg up where I did not. It is pretty soul crushing.) So what's with your cognitive dissonance here... or more like your shallow take on this?

Quote:
- these generational brain habits are very harmful. If one withdrew financial support for these habits, I think there would be a very strong motivation for these habits to disappear, no matter how hard-wired they might be.
Nope, you would be wrong. Conditions would get worse, not better. I suggest you take the time and learn a little bit more about the human brain.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
H.Loser, I still have to get through the rest of your voluminous contribution to this thread, but just want to point out that the easiest and most natural cognitive therapy, ie, the ordinary school curriculum, grades K-12, has already been given to the entire US population, at a reasonably low cost to the taxpayers. Every child dependent on welfare is offered a free alternative and the solution to all his/her social problems already. And despite all the totally unreasonable outcry against quality of public schools, the fact is that public school teachers are some of the most dedicated people in this country, almost like religious missionaries. They have already tried all they could. It is now time to withdraw welfare support (and, on the contrary, to institute financial penalties) for dysfunctional behaviors, including dropping out of school, having unsupportable kids, or comitting crimes (including as a juvenile). The carrot has failed, so don't be surprised if you see the whip soon (judging from Paul Ryan's website, they will probably first go very hard against disability recipients, tightening control over who gets disability payments).
OK... now I know you have no idea what therapy is. Teacher's do valiant work, but that's no substitute for actual therapy. Which btw, I think everyone, including you and I could benefit from.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
They demolished Penn Station because it was a gigantic boondoggle that even the Pennsylvania Railroad couldn't afford to maintain or keep (made worse when cars and air travel replaced rail in the 1950s) and because no one else was willing to buy it for that same reason.

That's not the history I read where the demolition was pushed through very fast. It prompted a lot of conservationists to come out of the woodwork. It's not like Grand Central or Carnegie were in great shape or did not require substantial cash to fix.

Quote:
And what's going on with millennials is more acute because they have the luxury of rejecting the past without push back. If they decide that the past is worthless, they can just run to their little internet echo chambers and agree with each other about it. It's not like in the old days when teens still had to answer to some authority. If you had rambled 20 years ago that vaccines were evil, a parent, teacher, etc. would've corrected you. Now millennials just bypass authority and think and feel whatever they want on Reddit and other echo chambers of the internet.
Actually, I have seen more ignorant baby boomers do that. At least millennials can tell the difference between a real news site that can back up their data (even if it's alternative) and some idiot in his basement pontificating slogans that would make the KKK blush.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
OK... now I know you have no idea what therapy is. Teacher's do valiant work, but that's no substitute for actual therapy. Which btw, I think everyone, including you and I could benefit from.
Oh I won't go into my own training in human health (okay, I am on the opposite end of medicine from psychiatry, but it's still medicine), but I have psychiatrists among extended family and acquaintainces, and they all seem to agree that you can talk about a hardwired habit until you are blue in face, but you will not break that habit without Wellbutrin (or whatever better meds they have by now; I admit I am not up to date on that field).

Also, I couldn't tell1 you how many times my own mother told me I was good for nothing, or how many times I have heard from the ethnic group dominant in the area where I lived that my ethnic group is simply genetically inferior and incapable of higher functioning... not to even speak of the fact that the career I made in the US is objectively very difficult to attain even for American-born people. But somehow I always looked at what can be done about anything in principle, not necessarily by myself but by some abstract person, and then I tried to do what that abstract person could do in principle. I failed a lot, but then I tried again until it became straight forward. One of the first such efforts was the multiplication table - I still remember that it was very very difficult to memorize it when I was 7, but I tried until I succeeded, and then it was easy and normal. English language was very hard too. Actually, everything was always hard. Most things in my life happened the same way as 7x8, nothing was smooth and automatic. I do know what it means to be told that you are born a failure, and I do know what it means to fail. I also know that there is no reason whatsoever to dwell on that, except as an indulgence and excuse for not trying, or not trying repeatedly if you fail.

Last edited by elnrgby; 12-26-2017 at 01:06 PM..

Old 12-26-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Oh I won't go into my own training in human health (okay, I am on the opposite end of medicine from psychiatry, but it's still medicine), but I have psychiatrists among extended family and acquaintainces, and they all seem to agree that you can talk about a hardwired habit until you are blue in face, but you will not break that habit without Wellbutrin (or whatever better meds they have by now; I admit I am not up to date on that field).
Depends on the DSM. Some cognitive issues are chemical, and some are personality based. . You're not going to help someone who is a borderline with Bupropion. Therapy IS effective with or without medication.

https://www.verywell.com/borderline-...cations-425450

Quote:
Also, I couldn't tell1 you how many times my own mother told me I was good for nothing, or how many times
So basically you are saying, "i don't have mental health issues, so no one else should have them. everyone should be and think like me." Does everyone have the same skill set? capacity? interest? cognition?

Quote:
English language was very hard too.
Linguist believer rudimentary English is amongst the easiest to start, and hardest to master.

Quote:
I also know that there is no reason whatsoever to dwell on that, except as an indulgence and excuse for not trying, or not trying repeatedly if you fail.
And where did you learn the lesson? Parents, friends? Were there role models around you (close role models) that showed you the way. Is it possible that your point of view is a product of your environment and that others did not have the same environment?

And why on earth would you buy property in an area you are afraid to live. It's misguided because the more I live here, the more I think it's a terrific place to be... but I can't wrap my head around moving somewhere that I believe is questionable for my retirement when I would be the most frail in my entire life. but then again, there is my fixed belief that if I never saw another snow flake or sheet of ice, life would be great, especially when retired.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:29 PM

Congnition and personality are all chemIcal. Some parts of the brain that importantly determine behavior (eg, areas of caudate nucleus involved with obsessive behavior, n. accumbens involved with addiction)may not have connections with the center for comprehension of speech in the dominant-side temporal cortex. You can't talk to these brain areas, and neither can the "therapist". That basically accounts for relative inefectiveness of psychotherapy, or at least that is how it was explained to me by a psychiatrist friend.

I grew up in a dysfunctional country and dysfunctional family. I grew up in a zoo. There were no role models, only the models of what not to do. I just knew that I needed to do it all alone, to get into some form of life situation where 2 plus 2 make 4, and not an unpredictable random number. I had a strong revulsion from the dysfunctionality that surrounded me, that's all.

I bought a condo in Parkchester because I liked the architecture, the easy access to Manhattan, and the price. The ice and solo urban living in the old age is not my concern. At 58, I am still all muscle and total independence, and if genetics predicts anything, I will be like that for a long time, if I do not die suddenly. The only thing that could detail me is a stroke or neurodegenerative disease. If that should happen, the family (I don't have kids, but do have other famiky) has precise instructions to ship me to a nursing home in a tropical country much cheaper than the US. So, all possibilities are taken care of. So, I would like to live in Parchester, am not sure whether that is feasible, whether it is safe or unsafe (the info is still mixed), and we'll see what happens.

Last edited by elnrgby; 12-26-2017 at 06:49 PM..

Old 12-26-2017, 07:15 PM

666 posts, read 513,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
That's not the history I read where the demolition was pushed through very fast. It prompted a lot of conservationists to come out of the woodwork. It's not like Grand Central or Carnegie were in great shape or did not require substantial cash to fix.
The history you read was wrong. I've owned and read several books on the topic. Romantics who are all angry and bitter about the station being lost paint a picture of this gleaming, white, marble station that was cruelly torn down in the name of progress, but that's not what happened. The situation was more complex.

Penn Station was a classic boondoggle. Someone warned Penn Railroad right from the start that if it wanted to build this station, it would be better to put a hotel over it so that the company could pay for the upkeep. The architect actually refused, arrogantly arguing that the hotel would "compromise" the station's design. It was a stupid mistake because the adviser turned out to be right. The station then fell into complete disrepair after just a few short decades of use (because of how expensive it was to maintain) and by the early 1960s, it had become a dirty, dingy, soot-covered building with leaking roofs and boarded up windows:

Given all this, there was absolutely no way in hell, when Penn R. put that building up for sale, that anyone would've been able to both buy and rehabilitate it. At all. That's why it eventually got torn down. Penn R. couldn't afford to maintain it and no one wanted to buy it.

Of course, if Penn Station had been in peak condition when it was torn down and if there had been a very viable way of saving it, then its destruction would've been an obvious case of "evil progress" winning out over the past. But that's not what happened in the case of this building. It could not be saved in 1963.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:18 PM

I mean cognition, not congnition. This tablet is killing me. First it came out as cogmition, now congnition. I think it is inserting typos on its own. I can't correct them any more, sorry. Also, I didn't mean to say that a stroke could detail me in the old age, but derail me. Etc. Sorry, can't post anything any more until I get something normal to type on.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Congnition and personality are all chemIcal. Some parts of the brain that importantly determine behavior (eg, areas of caudate nucleus involved with obsessive behavior, n. accumbens involved with addiction)may not have connections with the center for comprehension of speech in the dominant-side temporal cortex. You can't talk to these brain areas, and neither can the "therapist". That basically accounts for relative inefectiveness of psychotherapy, or at least that is how it was explained to me by a psychiatrist friend.
Chemical perhaps, but not always curable by the drug that's going to cause you so many side effects that you may not recognize the human being before taking it.

Psychiatrist have a vested interest in the pharmaceutical industry, more so than psychologist and social workers. Many don't even do talk therapy. New synapses can be formed but it takes time and a lot of work. https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1010205325.htm

A lot of studies have confirmed the effectiveness of CBT, DBT and mindfulness. Drugs can be an aid, but performed by itself, it has a lot of limitations. Most people have some form of mental disability. It may not effect them in their work life, but it can effect them in the personal life. Therapy does wonders to fix those things.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-verdict-is-in
A huge benefit of talk therapy is that its effects are long-lasting. This is because you’re not only working through stuff, but you’re also developing the tools to help you deal with future stuff

Self-medicating to “deal” with psychological stuff is incredibly common. But it doesn’t do anything to actually address what’s going on – it just masks it. It also creates an addictive cycle, which may exacerbate the real problem. Getting to the root of your past stuff in therapy will, with time, obviate the need to self-medicate. When you’re no longer living by the negative things in your past, the need to avoid them – and yourself – will disappear
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegw.../#13a8949d4ebb
Quote:
I grew up in a dysfunctional country and dysfunctional family. I grew up in a zoo. There were no role models, only the models of what not to do. I just knew that I needed to do it all alone, to get into some form of life situation where 2 plus 2 make 4, and not an unpredictable random number. I had a strong revulsion from the dysfunctionality that surrounded me, that's all.
Yes, and some of your statements broadcast that, abundantly. Especially the distorted point of view and disdain you have for motherhood and all people who have children. It seems like some form unresolved childhood trauma related to poverty and children. It's not the choices made, but the choice of language used to express those reasons behind those choices that clued me in.

Quote:
I bought a condo in Parkchester because I liked the architecture, the easy access to Manhattan, and the price. The ice and solo urban living in the old age is not my concern. At 58, I am still all muscle and total independence, and if genetics predicts anything, I will be like that for a long time, if I do not die suddenly. The only thing that could detail me is a stroke or neurodegenerative disease. If that should happen, the family (I don't have kids, but do have other famiky) has precise instructions to ship me to a nursing home in a tropical country much cheaper than the US. So, all possibilities are taken care of. So, I would like to live in Parchester, am not sure whether that is feasible, whether it is safe or unsafe (the info is still mixed), and we'll see what happens.
The info you have is mostly from people who don't live there and have unacknowledged allergies to brown people. I live here. It's safe, down to earth and friendly. If you walked down the street at 8am, the number of people out walking their kids too school is astounding. It's very quiet, in a good way. The streets around Castle Hill Road; there is new business development everywhere with the Bengalis the predominate culture.

The train however, is a disaster due to overcrowding. Foodtown behind Macy's has all the telltale signs of gentrification. Nearly half the store is organic. It's only a recent discovery for me because my neighbor told me where to go. (It's a bit hidden and not obvious.) Areas nearby are building more and more housing. (Not sure what they are going to do with all the people in terms of transit.) This is a cached map of what's happening all around. https://www.yimbynews.com/wp-content...Y-map/map.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City