Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2017, 07:31 PM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
To keep Black people from accessing Riverside Park
But Moses has been dead for a long time and nobody is keeping Black people from accessing Riverside Park, or accessing anything else, in the year 2017. So how is tilting of that street, or Roert Moses, relevant to the discussion about gentrification trends in 2017?

Old 12-13-2017, 07:33 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
But Moses has been dead for a long time and nobody is keeping Black people from accessing Riverside Park, or accessing anything else, in the year 2017. So how is tilting of that street, or Roert Moses, relevant to the discussion about gentrification trends in 2017?
Because nowadays its just done differently. Robert Moses would have did different **** if the Internet was out when he was around.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-13-2017, 07:34 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
Quote:
Not sure why 125th 1st tilts, but I do know who Robert Moses was. He died almost 40 years ago, was almost 100 years old when he died, his urban planning ideas are tremendously outdated and completely irrelevant for anything that is happening in the 21st century.
That probably the least interesting part of the book. The book outlines the intersection of class, race, backdoor politics, corruption, and ideology in America. In addition to a biography of one of the most influential people that made NYC what it is today.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Because nowadays its just done differently. Robert Moses would have did different **** if the Internet was out when he was around.
Please explain what is "it" in your statement that nowadays "it" is just done differently.

Btw, Seventh Floor, dude, you are usually a voice of reason on this forum - what, did somebody else hack your logon info and write these few last messages???

Last edited by elnrgby; 12-13-2017 at 07:53 PM..

Old 12-13-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
That probably the least interesting part of the book. The book outlines the intersection of class, race, backdoor politics, corruption, and ideology in America. In addition to a biography of one of the most influential people that made NYC what it is today.
I did not read any books about Robert Moses, just know what is generally known about him. He was influential for some time, but that time is long gone, and NYC of today bears no similarity to what it was in his time. Specifically, there are no buildings in the city, or areas of the city, where any ethnic/racial group is prohibited by official rules from renting or buying a property.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Please explain what is "it" in your statement that nowadays "it" is just done differently.

Btw, Seventh Floor, dude, you are usually a voice of reason on this forum - what, did somebody else hack your logon info and write these few last messages???
I don't feel like explaining it. You would have to be disenfranchised to understand. Your resume clearly shows that you're not.

You're right, I've always been a voice of reason, that's why I'm the realest MoD on here

#nycnative

Old 12-13-2017, 07:56 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
I did not read any books about Robert Moses, just know what is generally known about him. He was influential for some time, but that time is long gone, and NYC of today bears no similarity to what it was in his time. Specifically, there are no buildings in the city, or areas of the city, where any ethnic/racial group is prohibited by official rules from renting or buying a property.
While that may be true, his policies helped to shape the people that live in certain areas today. You think it's a coincidence that some of the most expensive neighborhoods are isolated and difficult to reach? They have no subway, are cut off by an expressway or parkway with water on the other side and so on. We can even use your neighborhood as an example. While Parkchester may seen very integrated today, it wasn't like that originally. Parkchester was off limits for people of color, period. Only whites were allowed there.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:57 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,005,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
In many threads about gentrification someone will eventually make a remark that newcomers have no respect for the neighborhoods that they move into and that they should embrace and preserve the culture of the area.

Noe to be indelicate but In areas that have seen poverty, decay and redlining, what exactly does that mean? And to be clear, yes, I am a middle class white girl, but I grew up in Alphabet City when it was burning and a scary place, went to the local schools for some time, and I went to a very rough HS school where most of other students were rough from the rough parts of upper Manhattan, the Bronx, and Brooklyn. (For old timers, that would be Julia Richman in the late 80’s.)

Is divestment from quality or a variety of retail a culture one would try or want to protect? I get no one wants to buy $4 coffee. What’s wrong with a taco truck, or any other kind of food truck? That’s how Shake Shack got started. It’s a low investment and low risk into a new area. Bring it on. As one thread pointed out, some of these neighborhoods only have bodegas, hair salons and auto parts. Who would want to preserve that lack of diversity? Does one support loud music or other disturbances late at night? People put up with lack of consideration, but do they like putting up with it? I doubt it.

Wouldn’t it be better to define what you want to preserve?
Are you observing this in Parkchester?

Old 12-13-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Are you observing this in Parkchester?
She will in a few!

Old 12-13-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
While that may be true, his policies helped to shape the people that live in certain areas today. You think it's a coincidence that some of the most expensive neighborhoods are isolated and difficult to reach? They have no subway, are cut off by an expressway or parkway with water on the other side and so on. We can even use your neighborhood as an example. While Parkchester may seen very integrated today, it wasn't like that originally. Parkchester was off limits for people of color, period. Only whites were allowed there.
You keep talking that talk

Don't change, I respect ur style

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to pierrepont7731 again."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City