Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 01:13 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times

Advertisements

I feel like this is more of a game to those people who hold a seat in office. One side said, let's get in a fight, so I can make you look good by you suing me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 05:24 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,756,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You are paying the ISP for "shared" consumer internet access line, you do not have a dedicated internet service. Businesses pay for dedicated service and they cost hundreds and even thousands a month for guaranteed no filtering internet service. Next time you go to your office, go ask your IT dept head how much do they pay a month for internet. Most workplaces only have 300-500Mb/s business lines NOT 1Gb/s. High speed business lines are VERY expensive.

So get that straight, it's a shared tiered internet service with avg advertised speeds with no guarantees.

Content providers are paying a rate for higher packet prioritization if their service uses higher bandwidth and utilization than other services. Netflix, video conference, peer-peer file sharing are very in high network utilization.

If a content provider saturates a network, it has to be capped so that other content won't be delayed. If netflix is capped it will likely have delays and buffering due to network caps.

You do not have un-capped 1000Gb of internet bandwidth. You are paying for 1000Gb of service to the ISP not to the Internet. They are delivering shared internet service to you.

If you have a problem with that, go get yourself a business line. People with no technology experience should not be commenting on technical issues.
Why are you telling me something I already know? I make my living in building sites on the internet. Your argument does not negate the point I made.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:08 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
People like you with zero technical knowledge should not be even allowed to comment on a technical issue.

This is just like how many inept IT depts that hires IT consultants like me to tell them that their clueless non-technical managers do not understand their own work.

You have zero clues what the real issue of this case is all about, it shouldn't even make it to front page.

The main reason is that MSM today is digital, it used to be all paper and analog but all mass media are owned by the internet companies today and they do not want the government to tell them what to do.

People like you who are brainwashed by the media, should just stay out and mind matters that you do understand. None of these laws affects you. Why haven't people complain how the AT&T, Verizon, Tmobile, etc can continue to charge people hundreds a month for service while their costs are much lower than hard wire line internet service.

I gave Reps.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-20-2017, 09:51 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Why are you telling me something I already know? I make my living in building sites on the internet. Your argument does not negate the point I made.
Sure, it does impact people who build content even with N-N rules, the ISPs still dictate a lot that goes on their pipes.

Sure, if this means anything. Making spammers and robot callers pay for all this hoax calls is a good thing. With net-neutrality laws in place, it prevents ISPs from filtering services that are deemed malicious.

People don't realize that so much crap on the internet today is attributed to the ISPs being too laxed with content providers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City