Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 05:40 PM

5 posts, read 4,714 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

My current employer is transferring me from Annapolis, MD to the NYC area in late winter. My company's office is at 1 Penn Plaza. I will likely spend 1/2/3 days a week in the office; 1/2/3 days a week calling in clients in primarily North/Central NJ, a few in midtown, or perhaps PA. I'll have an option to work from home one or two days a week. It's an IT consulting gig and I'll be managing a team. Most of those direct reports live in NJ.

I'll be making a comfortable base and commission package and my budget for a place is around $3500/month, give or take. I'll be downsizing from a 3 bedroom, 1300 sq foot home that own to an apartment. My plan is to rent the first year, than perhaps purchase. I'd prefer a 2-bedroom. I've got a ton a crap (even after needing to downsize), and I'd like to have the 2nd bedroom as a home office.

I'm used to suburban living here in the metro-DC area, although I did grow up in NY (Dutchess County). I'm divorced, no kids, early 40s, actually looking forward to the change. I enjoy an active night life, but I also enjoy being outdoors, chilling be a pool, running, biking, kayaking, etc. I'm also looking for a good professional's single scene for the late 30 - mid 40s crowd.

Dealing with the tunnels to call on clients is exactly "appealing" to me. Also, is it possible to live in Manhattan but stash a car in a garage on the NJ side?

My colleagues in the NY office are suggesting Hoboken or Jersey City, although the idea of living in Manhattan is appealing. I do plan to make a few trips to scope out apartments, and I'll be doing the "Amtrak commute" for January and February. I've committed to moving up there on or about March 1.

Thoughts and comments? Fire away and ask me more questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 06:14 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
You will probably have to give up some of the outdoor stuff if you plan on living anywhere in Manhattan or Jersey that is an easy commute to Penn Plaza. We are way more urban and dense than metro DC. But in Manhattan there is, believe it or not, kayaking on the West Side in the Hudson, along with a great bicycle and jogging trail along the Hudson (where there was a recent terrorist truck attack), and numerous gyms of all types.

Caveat about Hoboken and Jersey City: A lot of the social activity there, like the bars along Washington in Hoboken, are geared to 20-somethings. It's frat bro row from what I've seen. Obviously there is a more mature crowd in these parts of Jersey too, but I think that they are probably just less visible.

You'll definitely, however, save money in NJ, with cheaper rents and no NYC income tax. Parts of the Jersey Gold Coast are now quite urban, dense, and high-rise. Many of the buildings are newer that what you'd find in NYC at the same price. (https://www.apartments.com/the-water...ms-under-3500/) They're not Manhattan but can feel like it physically. And if you're near a PATH train station the commute is a snap.

Your rental budget is generous enough for a small two-bedroom in some parts of lower Manhattan and certainly for a nice one bedroom. (https://streeteasy.com/for-rent/nyc/statuspen%7Cprice:-3500%7Carea:115,103,104,116,107,105,157,146%7Cbeds :2) If that's they way you're leaning, look along the PATH line-- West Village, Chelsea, Tribeca, Financial District, up to Midtown West. Garages downtown are exhorbitant, and I'd look for a place to keep it in Jersey nearby, though I don't know the area well enough to say where.

Bottom line is that if you have to have your car for work, I'd say go to Jersey, live near the PATH, and come into the city for fun and work.

Good luck, and welcome to New York

Old 12-01-2017, 09:41 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
1 Penn Plaza? Ideal suburban NJ commute from towns which have trains direct into Penn Station, if you end up preferring that to the urban life. Otherwise, downtown Jersey City is less of a fratboy atmosphere than Hoboken.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:33 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Check out Newport in Jersey City. It is a Lefrak complex on the Hudson River sitting atop a PATH train station. (PATH train goes to within a block to 1 Penn Plaza.) A nice place to live with a plethora of food and shopping choices within walking distance.

Ride to the Newport/Pavonia Station and visit their showroom/office and see if anything appeals to you.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:45 AM

75 posts, read 65,441 times
Instead of paying for a two bedroom apt consider renting a storage unit for less than $100 per month. Better option than paying $1k more just because. Use that money for yor mortgage

I dont lik Hoboken, roads are bad. If u can afford $3k rent a studio in yhe city. Commute stress free

Old 12-03-2017, 11:36 AM

Thank you everyone. I'm planning a trip to Hoboken and JC in mid-December to look at apartments, including Newport and Avalon Cove in JC. I also plan to visit the 1000 Jefferson St complex in Hoboken. Does anyone have any experience with these units?

Old 12-03-2017, 04:34 PM

Additionally, I am still considering midtown. As my targeted March move date gets closer, I'll look at some apartments in midtown. I'd like to thank citylove101 for his comments and links - much appreciated!

Old 12-03-2017, 08:12 PM

75 posts, read 65,441 times
Hoboken and Jersey city are getting expensive as NYC plus annoying as NyC as well. Ill save that commute. So besides these what is that looking for in terms of saving money? Safer?

Old 12-03-2017, 09:00 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
I would probably go midtown but wait until housing bubble pops again. Prices are too high to buy. Hoboken is OP and floods. All it has a Vito's deli and fiori deli and a nice view of NYC. Its fine if you are going to steven's for undergrad. JC is up and coming and you would probably get more space. Also, if you are going to have a car, I would go with JC. Parts of JC still feel shady late at night though.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:41 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reybread View Post
Thank you everyone. I'm planning a trip to Hoboken and JC in mid-December to look at apartments, including Newport and Avalon Cove in JC. I also plan to visit the 1000 Jefferson St complex in Hoboken. Does anyone have any experience with these units?

10th and Jefferson is across the Street from Hoboken's best supermarket, Shop-Rite, but you will quickly get sick of the long trek to the PATH station more than a mile away.

Both Newport and Avalon Cove are very nice but Newport is closer to PATH. Newport's apartments are a lot larger than AC's.
I spent 20 years in Newport...I have nothing bad to say about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City