Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:23 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,301,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlie89 View Post
Thank you, ANAPA!
Question: The New School is on 12th ST in NYC. I see commute times to midtown, but isn't New School further south? What kind of commute would that be from South Brooklyn, like Bay Ridge compared to, say, coming from Astoria?

Thank you!!
It would probably be a bit quicker from Astoria but not by all that much in the daytime. I lived in Bay Ridge for years (my family is from there). From Bay Ridge, you take the R to 59 St in Brooklyn and then change to the N, which runs express. You could take the R to 14th St, but it's a local train and very slow. On the N, during the day, Union Square is the 4th stop from 59th St. The whole thing is about 35 mins if you don't have any hitches. From Astoria you take the N, which is local for a few stops in Astoria, then express in Manhattan. It's probably 30 minutes or so.

The one pain with Bay Ridge is getting back from Manhattan later at night. The cab ride will be expensive and the train, since you need two, can take a very long time. After a certain point, the R only runs as a shuttle near Bay Ridge and the N runs local, making all stops and going though lower Manhattan instead of over the bridge. Then you have to transfer to the R shuttle. This has gotten much better than in years past, but if you are unlucky and wait 20 mins for an N train, then the ride on the N itself is 45 mins, then wait again for the R, then a couple more stops until you're home. So it's taking you an hour and a half of subways home just because you wanted to have a few drinks with friends in the city. Ultimately you're going to just hail a cab unless totally broke, and it's still cheaper than paying Manhattan rent, but it is a pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 01:22 PM

215 posts, read 771,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlie89 View Post
Thank you, ANAPA!
Question: The New School is on 12th ST in NYC. I see commute times to midtown, but isn't New School further south? What kind of commute would that be from South Brooklyn, like Bay Ridge compared to, say, coming from Astoria?

Thank you!!
You would take the R train to 86th street where you would transfer to the N, or you would take the R train to 36th street where you would transfer to the B (which goes over the manhattan bridge).

The train ride will take a total of an hour and that includes your walking time to the train station.

I lived in Bay Ridge for 10 years and the only time it took me an hour and a half to get into the city was when there was a major delay, which can happen, but not often enough to make living in Bay Ridge any less enjoyable.

Astoria might be a faster ride, but Bay Ridge is filled with side walk cafe's and some of the best food in the city. Astoria is over crowded and it's quickly losing whatever flavor it once possessed. You'll spend more time living and less traveling so where you live is more important than saving 20 minutes on your traveling.

If you visit or liv in Bay Ridge go the Cafe Caffee on 3rd avenue and 82nd street. Their French Pressed coffee is to die for.
Cafe Cafe in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mpatrizio/375702352/in/set-373492/ - broken link)

Old 03-22-2008, 01:43 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,719 times
I honestly can't see a Southerner living in Bay Ridge. Just doesn't jive in my mind.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:47 PM

215 posts, read 771,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I honestly can't see a Southerner living in Bay Ridge. Just doesn't jive in my mind.

A woman I know who never lived in the US moved from Puerto Rico straight to Bay Ridge and loved it. Another woman I knew did the same thing after moving from California and she too loved Bay Ridge. Where do you see a Southerner living NYC?

Old 03-22-2008, 04:16 PM

11 posts, read 34,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAPA View Post
Where do you see a Southerner living NYC?
I've been wondering that myself
I know I won't fit in anywhere at first and that my accent will be my Achilles heel, but hopefully I'll manage and won't be eaten alive.
Someone mentioned Forest Hills. In your opinion, what are the pros/cons of FH compared to places like Astoria or Bay Ridge?
I know this question may be too detailed, but what neighborhoods/streets in FH/Astoria/Bay Ridge are nicer, quieter, more desirable, etc (even if over my budget)?

Thanks again. You guys are great.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:11 AM

757 posts, read 3,362,604 times
I think people will love your accent! You'll get a lot of teasing, of course, but they'll love it.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:27 AM

415 posts, read 1,395,048 times
The commutes from bay ridge and astoria will both be about 45 minutes. Late nite it can turn into 1 hour plus. If you are going to school in the village, go to williamsburg and have a direct shot to 14th and 6th ave which you will be able to walk to 12th in 2 minutes easy. Its the easiest/fastest commute and best area you will get with your money.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:01 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,301,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAPA View Post
I lived in Bay Ridge for 10 years and the only time it took me an hour and a half to get into the city was when there was a major delay, which can happen, but not often enough to make living in Bay Ridge any less enjoyable.

Astoria might be a faster ride, but Bay Ridge is filled with side walk cafe's and some of the best food in the city. Astoria is over crowded and it's quickly losing whatever flavor it once possessed. You'll spend more time living and less traveling so where you live is more important than saving 20 minutes on your traveling.

If you visit or liv in Bay Ridge go the Cafe Caffee on 3rd avenue and 82nd street. Their French Pressed coffee is to die for.
Cafe Cafe in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mpatrizio/375702352/in/set-373492/ - broken link)
I lived in Bay Ridge on and off for 10 years or a bit more myself, and my family's been there since 1915. I never said it took an hour and a half to get to the city on the subway. I said that if you're out in Manhattan at midnight on a Friday or Saturday night it definitely could take an hour to get back to Bay Ridge by subway. It has happened to me many times, and to many people I know. That could, and did, make living in Bay Ridge a lot less enjoyable for me since most of the people I knew were in Manhattan, or going out there since they had to get home to the Bronx, NJ, whatever.

That said I do prefer Bay Ridge to Astoria, as a general matter, and particularly for someone trying to get to Union Square as opposed to midtown. But Astoria would generally be the one train home late at night, while it's longer to get home to Bay Ridge because of the R shuttle issue. Otherwise the cab is $25-30.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:08 AM

6 posts, read 13,106 times
Red face Living in Broolyn Heights

My best friend lives on Montague Street and is so close to all of the stations, has access to her roof (great for views of the city and reading, etc), and is just two blocks from the famous Promenade where one can jog, hang out, and just oggle the Manhattan skyline and Statue of Liberty.

There is also everything you need on Montague St, huge grocery, wine shop, book store, near B&N, two movie theathers, clothing stores, banks, restaurants, etc. She does pay $1,500 though for a studio and rents are getting even hight.

So don't expect the best in your price range. But search Craigslist.com for a good deal.

Remember, in NYC you will also have to pay 1st and last months' security deposit, but on CL, you might be able to find a good deal

Best hunting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City