Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many continuous generations of natives are you?
0 9 24.32%
1 5 13.51%
2 9 24.32%
3 10 27.03%
4 1 2.70%
5 2 5.41%
6 0 0%
7 0 0%
8 0 0%
9 or more (please state how many) 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 01:20 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I can trace myself back 5 generations with all sorts of immigrants mixing in since. I'm a mutt. It all started with the German immigration wave of the 19th century.
Guten tag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 06:48 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Thankyou for this graphic representation.
It confirms the point I have always made amongst my fellow peers.
New York discriminates against the middle class elderly. It is not a Retiree friendly state.

New York is only a temporary stop for young people who wish to make
a better life for themselves but at a very heavy cost .
NY only wants young blood to keep this NY complex growing......
NY only provides jobs. Period.. Anything else you are on your own. Never forget that...

You break your bones in this city for 20 ,30, 40 years for a meager paycheck. Pay loads of taxes or high rents.
You eventually retire and after a short time forced out of state because you can no longer afford to stay.
Inflation catches up with your fixed pension or social security. NY does not help the working or retired middle class.
The ones who made this city what it is today.
NY can help the retired middle class living here but it doesn't. Florida,Deleware,Carolinas,Georgia do a better job.
We the middle class are all but gone by the second generation.

The larger percentage 4 and 5 generation families are either extremely wealthy or severely impoverished.
You have a better chance of being a 4th or 5th generation in NY if you are super wealthy ( They create the jobs. )
You have a better chance of being a 4th or 5th generation if you are a single parent or disabled.
NY provides a roof ,clothes and food to the needy basically for free.

NY does a great service in helping the very wealthy and the truly needy. Thumbs up for that but at the expense of displacing the
middle class and middle class retiree with higher taxes and prices which end up supplementing the needy.
In the end NY sucks the taxes out of young people,feeds the needy with this money and kicks the retiree( once young bloods ) to the curb.

I dare anybody prove me wrong...

Old 12-18-2017, 06:53 AM

Thankyou for this graphic representation.
It confirms the point I have always made amongst my fellow peers.
New York discriminates against the middle class elderly. It is not a Retiree friendly state.

New York is only a temporary stop for young people who wish to make
a better life for themselves but at a very heavy cost .
NY only wants young blood to keep this NY complex growing......
NY only provides jobs. Period.. Anything else you are on your own. Never forget that...

You break your bones in this city for 20 ,30, 40 years for a meager paycheck. Pay loads of taxes or high rents.
You eventually retire and after a short time forced out of state because you can no longer afford to stay.
Inflation catches up with your fixed pension or social security. NY does not help the working or retired middle class.
The ones who made this city what it is today.
NY can help the retired middle class living here but it doesn't. Florida,Deleware,Carolinas,Georgia do a better job.
We the middle class are all but gone by the second generation.

The larger percentage 4 and 5 generation families are either extremely wealthy or severely impoverished.
You have a better chance of being a 4th or 5th generation in NY if you are super wealthy ( They create the jobs. )
You have a better chance of being a 4th or 5th generation if you are a single parent or disabled.
NY provides a roof ,clothes and food to the needy basically for free.

NY does a great service in helping the very wealthy and the truly needy. Thumbs up for that but at the expense of displacing the
middle class and middle class retiree with higher taxes and prices which end up supplementing the needy.
In the end NY sucks the taxes out of young people,feeds the needy with this money and kicks the retiree( once young bloods ) to the curb.

I dare anybody prove me wrong...

Old 12-18-2017, 08:50 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
Between 4 and 5. I believe all of my great grandparents emigrated here, but one set may have been born here, which would be where it's 5th generation. Otherwise, the other 3 sets of greats came here from their respective countries. We've been in NYC since.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:36 AM

The graph as far as I understand it is based on input from an unbroken chain of family immigration.
Example. If your great grandparents were born here in NY but then went back to their country of origin
and had children (your parents) who later immigrated and lived in NY and had kids (you) then
it only counts as 2 generations. If your great grandparents born and stayed here including you and your children
then that's 3 generations.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:52 AM

4,195 posts, read 4,077,595 times
If you are second generation, does that make you a slip kid?

Old 12-18-2017, 12:01 PM

881 posts, read 1,369,473 times
1st generation for me! My family are from the south (Alabama and Florida on my mom's side and South Carolina on my dad's side) so my brother and I were the first ones born in NYC. Our children are the 2nd generation New Yorkers

Old 12-18-2017, 12:23 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,927,870 times
My paternal grandmother migrated here from Baltimore in the 1950's. She first lived on Avenue C in Lower East Side. Then moved on Houston St. I think where the beer store used to be. She moved to further down in the Chinatown area in 1960s.
She always told me a story on how in Balitmore, you wash your steps. When she moved to NYC, people would ask her why in tarnations are you washing the steps, and she had to explain to them, that was how its done in Bmore..
My maternal grandmother migrated from South Carolina. She was a teen when she migrated to the Brooklyn. I'm not sure how she ended up in the Bronx, where my mother was born.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:53 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,448,766 times
I'm 5th generation Brooklynite.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:51 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
I'm 5th generation Brooklynite.
Same here, but I technically live in Queens. I don't think my ancestors ever lived in Manhattan. Bushwick and ENY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: