Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2017, 05:40 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Okay, if you say so.

Is the fact that Europeans were capable of something so horrible as the Holocaust enough data points for you.
You make a good point...

Old 12-24-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
So nowhere is more racist than the Latin American or Arab countries themselves. .
Arab countries are notoriously racist toward black people.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:42 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Huh?

In a way yes, they were via the Casta system:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casta

As Spanish men began to breed of Indian, African, and other non-European women a system was needed (or felt should be in place) for various reasons to distinguish blood lines. That is *pure* European from 1/2, 1/4 and so forth black or whatever blood.

Lingering traces of this ties into what myself and others have been discussing about racism among various Hispanics/Latinos.

Some of you can wail, moan and whatever denying such things exist, but racism has and still does in various Latino/Hispanic cultures just as it does in United States. Anyone who believes otherwise either just does not know or doesn't care to bother.

There is a great old film starring Gregory Peck called "Gentlemen's Agreement" where a 1940's white WASP journalist pretends to be Jewish in order to understand the discrimination those persons faced. He has his eyes opened as how suddenly people who treated him one way reversed themselves because he was " a Jew".

Same goes for racism. No, you rarely have today the outspoken Archie Bunker in your face sort; but there are other ways of making the point known. That applies in Buenos Aires as it does South Beach, Miami as it does in New York City.

Is it everyone? Obviously not, but OTOH again it still does exist. Besides what people say or do when in public versus in private and or when they think they are among friends is two different things. People are conscious of the necessity of being politically correct. Just because however they keep their comments to themselves does not mean acceptance of conditions on ground.

As have said, watch Spanish programming such as telenovelas which are filmed everywhere from Florida to Argentina, to Brazil and so forth. It is like watching American television or seeing films made in the 1950's or so; you rarely see "dark" people or anyone that has those features. When you do they are maids, servants, ranch hands, buffons and so forth. La Senora, and Don Pepe are always European looking white/Hispanic.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...isogyny-lended

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0428c7f1261e0

Brazilian Soap Operas Black Middle Class | Al Jazeera America

Eva Peron wasn't the first nor last "darker" Latina to bleach her hair blonde and otherwise try and make themselves look more "European" white. Indeed all over South America hair dye/bleaching, straightening, weaves, skin lightening creams, and of course plastic surgery to enhance or acquire so called "European" features is just as common as the USA.

The poison that was exported from Europe that "white is right" or at least "better" went to every single part of the globe those countries colonized and or invaded. You only have to read some of the nasty comments in UK and other European press over Prince Harry's fiancée (Meghan Markle" to know not everyone is holding hands and singing kumbaya.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:48 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Arabs are considered white in Latin America.

And yes, you will find plenty of Arabs and Japanese people in the upper classes in Latin America (in Peru, Brazil, etc.), but you won't find many of them, or that many white people, in the lower classes.
The upper classes are disproportionately white, Arab, Japanese vs. the lower classes which are disproportionately black, mixed race, mestizo, etc.
The upper classes are still mestizo dominated in my experience. A lot of my distant family in Ecuador is mestizo and wealthy.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Problems between Russians and Mexicans in Brighton Beach?

Can someone who actually lives there talk about this? Because I'm very familiar with Kensington, which also has many Mexicans and people from the former Soviet Union, and I've never heard of that.

And just because there was one incident 5 years ago doesn't mean it's still a thing.
I live on the border of Kensington, and there are not SO many Russians here . There are some, but they don't predominate.

In Brighton Beach, the Russians/ex-Soviets are the vast majority of the population so if they wanted to they could bully Mexicans or others if they wanted to.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I live on the border of Kensington, and there are not SO many Russians here . There are some, but they don't predominate.

In Brighton Beach, the Russians/ex-Soviets are the vast majority of the population so if they wanted to they could bully Mexicans or others if they wanted to.
Maybe not so many Russians but a lot of Eastern Europeans and Central Asians overall.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Your friend claimed to have always gotten around, yet she didn’t know Bedstuy had gentrified until 2017.
I am not his FRIEND.
Second, AGAIN (how dense are you?), I didn't say Bed Stuy hasn't gentrified, I said it STILL has a high crime rate.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
You make a good point...
Most of Europe was very much against Hitler and many people gave their lives fighting the Axis powers

Also, World War II ended 72 years ago

Old 12-24-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Well yeah, I figured that.

It seems ridiculously arrogant that there are bydlo Russian immigrants who think like that, though.
I know.
Are they not aware that a lot of New Yorkers don't like Russians?!
They are not exactly the model immigrant group...

Old 12-24-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No Black person can look at another Black person for sure and know if he is African, Caribbean, Latino, or AA. I get asked by people from a multitude of African, Caribbean, or Latin American nations. So by sight an immigrant Black cab driver does know my ethnic background. I have an American accent, but that just means I was born here.

There’s nowhere near the vast divid between immigrant Blacks and Natives as you try to make up. Many Black people go vacation in the Caribbean or Africa or Latin America. I’ve never had a problem with immigrant Blacks, and both immigrants and Native Blacks are found in the Ivy League. Bugsy wouldn’t know as he didn’t attend one.
Touche
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City