Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2017, 06:28 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=lead...w=1280&bih=669

The leader of the Dominican Republic looks pretty white as well.
In particular considering that most Dominicans have noticeable African descent.
He does not.
That guy doesn't look unusually white for DR standards.

For instance, I worked with a Dominican woman who has pale skin and straight hair but is very obviously not a white woman, like that guy.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
If you google her, the picture of her looks positively Anglo-Saxon!

What exactly looks non-white about her to you?
Her facial features

Old 12-24-2017, 06:32 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times
I will say that in some ways the places I am familiar with in Latin America are more racist (or at least more openly racist) than the U.S. (or at least the East Coast of the U.S.).

When a (black) friend and I traveled to Puerto Rico, we were surprised by the racism we encountered there.

For a time in NYC, I had a close group of Brazilian friends who I hung out with often. There were about 10 of them, and they were all graduate students here in NYC (so...the elite of Brazil). I met them because I was in grad school with a Brazilian woman and she introduced me to all her Brazilian friends in NYC. All of them were white, except one was Japanese-Brazilian. One was blonde and Germanic -looking. Two were Ashkenazi/European Jews. None were black, except there was one woman in the circle who was clearly mixed (with indigenous or black, not sure.). My friends, including the mixed woman, often made comments about black people - they are violent, they smell (sorry), etc. It was to the point where I felt I couldn't introduce any African-American friends to them. Even the mixed woman told me that she believed that black people "smell", and in fact she told me that since she is "darker" than her friends, she feels she has a "stronger odor" than them. (Yes, these were Ph.D. students). Needless to say that I was appalled.
But I have no reason to believe that that they were NOT representative of elite/educated/middle-upper class Brazilians.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Woman needs a better hair colorist, that and or more frequent root touch ups!
Right, like most of the white women shopping in Kmart!

Old 12-24-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That guy doesn't look unusually white for DR standards.

For instance, I worked with a Dominican woman who has pale skin and straight hair but is very obviously not a white woman, like that guy.
But most Dominicans are black.
He doesn't look black at all.

He is whiter than 90% of Dominicans.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:36 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
I will say that in some ways the places I am familiar with in Latin America are more racist (or at least more openly racist) than the U.S. (or at least the East Coast of the U.S.).

When a (black) friend and I traveled to Puerto Rico, we were surprised by the racism we encountered there.

For a time in NYC, I had a close group of Brazilian friends who I hung out with often. There were about 10 of them, and they were all graduate students here in NYC (so...the elite of Brazil). I met them because I was in grad school with a Brazilian woman and she introduced me to all her Brazilian friends in NYC. All of them were white, except one was Japanese-Brazilian. One was blonde and Germanic -looking. Two were Ashkenazi/European Jews. None were black, except there was one woman in the circle who was clearly mixed (with indigenous or black, not sure.). My friends, including the mixed woman, often made comments about black people - they are violent, they smell (sorry), etc. It was to the point where I felt I couldn't introduce any African-American friends to them. Even the mixed woman told me that she believed that black people "smell", and in fact she told me that since she is "darker" than her friends, she feels she has a "stronger odor" than them. (Yes, these were Ph.D. students). Needless to say that I was appalled.
But I have no reason to believe that that they were NOT representative of elite/educated/middle-upper class Brazilians.
So you see... These were comments your friends made that I'm sure they would not make in public for fear of not being politically correct, and this is what happens today. Very few people are overtly racist.

Why were you surprised by how racist Puerto Ricans are in Puerto Rico? The ones there actually look down on Nuyoricans because they are disgusted by how they are more likely to mix with blacks here. It's something I've heard regularly. Aside from that you have some of the Puerto Ricans here that are clearly mixed with black that will make all sorts of racist comments about blacks in Spanish to distance themselves as if they are superior despite them having black in them. I witnessed this on a few occasions and just chuckled to myself.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:

That's interesting since Puerto Ricans in the states are pretty close with AAs.

That's a shame about the Brazilians, though.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
So you see... These were comments your friends made that I'm sure they would not make in public for fear of not being politically correct, and this is what happens today. Very few people are overtly racist.
No, my friends spoke like this VERY openly.
It seems in Brazil it is normal to talk like this, as opposed to in the U.S., where most people would not speak openly like this.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
But most Dominicans are black.
He doesn't look black at all.

He is whiter than 90% of Dominicans.
Dominicans aren't thay much blacker than Puerto Ricans on average, there's a huge overlap in their appearance

Old 12-24-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That's interesting since Puerto Ricans in the states are pretty close with AAs.
Yes, maybe so.
But in Puerto Rico, people are not close with African Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City