Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 01:25 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,233,524 times

Advertisements

When is her lease up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 06:00 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quite an assumption on her part.

I share a 2-family house with my landlord - I live upstairs, he and his wife live downstairs - but when I need to do laundry I go to the laundromat instead of using the w/d in the basement, and when I want to sit outside I sit on the stoop. I don't assume access to anything other than my own flat.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:39 PM

8 posts, read 16,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Lindsay,
What is the status of her tenancy? Rent controlled, rent-stabilized, market rent by lease, or month to month market rate?
It's a rent stabilized building (it has 6 apartments/built before 1974) ...shes on a two year lease that expires 11/18/2018. Shes been here for 15 or so years but has REALLY become a problem over the last few years. Its getting really bad.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
I was just going to ask that. If she's not rent stabilized, you're under no obligation to renew the lease. You might be able to get her evicted sooner on public health grounds, but that would be arduous. Try to hang on until the lease is up, and give her 60 days advance notice before the lease's expiration (I hope she only has a year lease) that you're not renewing her lease. If you want, send the certified cease-and-desist letter, but don't count on that working. That should be your last attempt to work things out. She's a nut job. And you do need to look into the rent laws, which isn't too hard. Most of the info is online.
Unfortunately the building has 6 units so it's rent stabilized. Her lease expires in November of 2018. Not sure how easy it'll be to get her out once the lease is up, if at all??? I honestly dont know too much about this, I'm just trying to help my parents out without having to ask them a million questions.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I'd tell her you will trap and euthanize any cats on the property if she continues to feed feral cats as they pose a health threat for others in the building. Cut down her bird feeders, she will eventually run out of money replacing them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliya47 View Post
The most crazy advise ever! Animal cruelty is a felony , if you do it, you will go to jail. Do everything by law.
We've threatened to trap them but as an animal lover I would never euthanize them, I would try to relocate them at the very least. I know it sounds contradictory to be an animal lover and want her to stop feeding/keeping these animals around but it's causing so many issues, the other tenants arent happy, theres animal droppings everywhere, it smells, its destructive, attracts vermin etc, all of those issues outweigh my love for animals unfortunately.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:08 PM

15,824 posts, read 14,463,105 times
That's easy. Rent stabilized units are gold. Likely the barest threat of an eviction will scare her into behaving. Alternately, if she continues, you could likely use her behavior as a lease violation, and ground for an eviction. This would be a long, expensive process, but likely worthwhile if you could then claw the unit out of stabilization.

I think you should talk to a landlord lawyer. If you're a landlord, you should have one handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaydb View Post
Unfortunately the building has 6 units so it's rent stabilized. Her lease expires in November of 2018. Not sure how easy it'll be to get her out once the lease is up, if at all??? I honestly dont know too much about this, I'm just trying to help my parents out without having to ask them a million questions.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:32 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,370 times
Sorry OP, you’re screwed. Getting her out will be expensive, and take years at best. Unless you’re a big time landlord, I doubt you have the savings for a protracted court battle. 98% of judges in this city are pro tenant. My neighbor was assaulted by her tenant, but not even the police report was enough for eviction. Judge had the audacity to say that the assault was a separate issue and had no bearing in her court (a matter for another court to resolve, she said.)

This city will bend over backwards to “protect” tenants. Especially if they are in rent stabilized apartments. Unless you have the money for a good lawyer, your best bet is either to grin and bear it or sell the building. Your only hope is that she starts failing to pay rent. That will make it slightly easier to evict. The only other recourse you have is to offer her money to leave. As ridiculous and unfair as it sounds, offering her money to leave would probably be the cheapest and fastest way to get her to leave.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:13 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
When is the lease up?

Old 12-31-2017, 02:15 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,233,524 times
You may just have to live with it until it comes time for her lease renewal, and then just dont renew it. Be sure and check your laws and see when you need to advise her of non renewal, it might be 60 days. I dont think you need to give any reason for non renewal.

In the meantime, you can trap the cats and take them to the humane society.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:20 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
You may just have to live with it until it comes time for her lease renewal, and then just dont renew it. Be sure and check your laws and see when you need to advise her of non renewal, it might be 60 days. I dont think you need to give any reason for non renewal.
The building has six units, built before 1974. The tenant is rent stabilized and her lease is automatically renewed if the tenant wants to stay. The OP can’t just wait for the lease to expire, unless the OP is willing to wait for the tenant herself to expire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City