Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 12:58 PM

252 posts, read 306,641 times

Advertisements

I'm at the verification stage of the lottery process. They have already asked for updated pay stubs but since I recently got hired, I got paid for only 1 week of work. I technically still qualify with these paystubs but I do worry that if they ask for updated paystubs again, then I'll be disqualified. This is my first salaried job and yes I should expect overtime pay but whenever I stayed a little later in past jobs it was a favor. Now I'm actually getting paid for the little extra hours and I think I can disqualified on that basis. It's too the point if I need to stay later that I will clock out at my correct time and just do the extra time for free if that'll make my paystubs look better to them. I have yet to be called out on my overtime pay but if I am, how do I go about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 01:00 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
Overtime is calculated as part of your income, no way to dispute it. Even if you appeal to HPD, no one can help you with the extra money you make from over time. They will use the overtime against you to disqualify you. No explanation will make them change their mind.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:10 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,461,784 times
On the other hand you shouldn't deny yourself money to qualify for one of these lottery apartments. Getting paid less has long-range consequences that are much greater than losing a lottery apartment, and you might not get the apartment anyway. It's possible your job won't even let you "work for free" when it comes to overtime, because that could put it in violation of labor laws, depending on how you're classified. Obviously, you're classified as someone eligible for OT (you're either union or non-exempt). This is a perfect example of how dumb these guidelines are--in that they penalize people for occasional OT even if that little bit of OT wouldn't disqualify them on income. The guidelines need an overhaul.

Last edited by Moving415; 12-29-2017 at 02:22 PM..

Old 12-29-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
On the other hand you shouldn't deny yourself money to qualify for one of these lottery apartments. Getting paid less has long-range consequences that are much greater than losing a lottery apartment, and you might not get the apartment anyway. It's possible your job won't even let you "work for free" when it comes to overtime, because that could put it in violation of labor laws, depending on how you're classified. Obviously, you're classified as someone eligible for OT (you're either union or non-exempt). This is a perfect example of how dumb these guidelines are--in that they penalize people for occasional OT even if that little bit of OT wouldn't disqualify them on income. The guidelines need an overhaul.
I totally agree because I honestly then would be over by maybe 300. I'm just going to have to leave when I'm supposed to. I really just need the apartment. I've tried getting something at market rate on my own but sadly with my income only thing I can afford is a hole in the wall studio (if I'm lucky to find it) or to be someone's roommate.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:36 PM

But don't deny yourself the opportunity to make more money, or to advance in your job, because you're trying to qualify for these lotteries. It's self-destructive to do that.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:17 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
I'm not sure why people think OT = job advancement. It does equal more money. OT is tricky business because it's not guaranteed income. if you worked there longer, say over a year, it would be something more quantifiable.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
But don't deny yourself the opportunity to make more money, or to advance in your job, because you're trying to qualify for these lotteries. It's self-destructive to do that.
I just started a month ago so I doubt I'm advancing anytime soon. Also I don't want to risk affordable housing for $217 more a month that won't help pay market rate housing. I am looking for another job though. This job is honestly just a filler until I find somewhere I'm truly happy at and the pay is right

Old 12-29-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I'm not sure why people think OT = job advancement. It does equal more money. OT is tricky business because it's not guaranteed income. if you worked there longer, say over a year, it would be something more quantifiable.
I've only been there for a month and only reason why I went into overtime was because I helped out with afterschool before the holidays. We're talking about 2 hours a week. I won't be getting that overtime anymore however because the holiday season has passed and afterschool won't need as much help. It's just not fair

Old 12-29-2017, 05:45 PM

I know. But they'll prorate your pay as if the OT continues for the year, even if your boss writes a letter (as some have done) saying the OT was a one-shot deal and will never happen again. It's completely crazy.

Last edited by Moving415; 12-29-2017 at 05:58 PM..

Old 12-29-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I know. But they'll prorate your pay as if the OT continues for theyear, even if your boss writes a letter (as some have done) saying the OT was a one-shot deal and will never happen again. It's completely crazy.
Well at least there's that. I know you're saying that the letter won't sway them but it's the least I can do. All I can honestly hope for to avoid this is that they're satisfied with the paystubs they already have and my application moves along like it seems it is. Or they ask for updated stubs in 3 months when my pay is back to normal. I think I'll go to HR and ask for that letter sooner than later
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: