Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 01:23 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
You seem insecure about your identity as being part Hispanic and feel the need to defend it. You have trouble assimilating in both america and with your Hispanic heritage. Most people tend to defend the country of their ancestors instead of a made up genre.
There's nothing wrong about defending your ethnicity, if I insulted Italian people I'm sure I would get flack for it.

And what the hell do you mean trouble assimilating? First of all I'm barely Latino (1/4), and most people in real life refer to me as white so I consider myself to be white. Second, nothing about my behavior indicates lack of assimilation to the country I was born in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 01:25 PM

782 posts, read 527,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Well that number is arbitrary of course, but it was just an example. There's a big difference between 1% and 20% though, the latter is very much a significant chunk of a neighborhood.

I saw that "whatever, gotta represent the Latinos" dig before you deleted it. The real reason I do that is because some posters, like maybe you, seem to think that Latinos are beneath them, and I want to point out that plenty of good neighborhoods have a significant Latino population.
fyi, the reason why I deleted that comment is because I gave it a second thought and you actually get overly defensive about other things too. Like transplants, New York, the word suburban, etc. I didn't really want to get into it. But since you wanted to bring it up.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:29 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
This^^^^

Also Latinos are a large group that span multiple racial features, just like how a Japanese person can look distinct from someone of Indonesian descent. Of that 10% I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of them just look white.
This.

Lots of Latinos that I've met here in NYC, I assumed they were Italian when I first met them, or some other white ethnic group..

Old 01-01-2018, 01:31 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,887 times
I found Windsor Terrace to be quite expensive for what you get. You have to love living in Brooklyn and near prospect park to deal with the inconveniences of finding better public schools, living in smaller space, and commuting to anywhere outside of Brooklyn and Downtown Manhattan. I would northwestern queens and Harlem to be better deals. I personally wouldn't want to overpay for the sake of being able to say I live in Brooklyn.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
fyi, the reason why I deleted that comment is because I gave it a second thought and you actually get overly defensive about other things too. Like transplants, New York, the word suburban, etc. I didn't really want to get into it. But since you wanted to bring it up.
You have a strange perception of my posts

Old 01-01-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Well that number is arbitrary of course, but it was just an example. There's a big difference between 1% and 20% though, the latter is very much a significant chunk of a neighborhood.

I saw that "whatever, gotta represent the Latinos" dig before you deleted it. The real reason I do that is because some posters, like maybe you, seem to think that Latinos are beneath them, and I want to point out that plenty of good neighborhoods have a significant Latino population.
Don't listen to the racists on the board.

Plenty of nice neighborhoods have Latinos living there for sure!

Old 01-01-2018, 01:37 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,887 times
Quote:
There's nothing wrong about defending your ethnicity, if I insulted Italian people I'm sure I would get flack for it.

And what the hell do you mean trouble assimilating? First of all I'm barely Latino (1/4), and most people in real life refer to me as white so I consider myself to be white. Second, nothing about my behavior indicates lack of assimilation to the country I was born in.
An Italian person defending Italy's heritage is one thing, an Italian person defending all Mediterranean people is another. It wouldn't be common for an East Asian person to identify themselves as someone from India, but per the census data they are all categories together as Asian. As I mentioned your position to defend all Hispanic as a category is a bit strange and it comes off as someone who is trying to validate who they are.

Race is a social construct so some people identifying you as white in modern times despite you not being considered white based on history, which was common for people of mediterranean background. Irish and Italians experienced a lot of racism before being accepted as white in modern times.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:41 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
I1995 associates Italians with the Klan.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
It is known as more of a Latino neighborhood, but still also a black one. The Southern portion of the neighborhood likely has more black people. I toured my coworker's block the other day, who lives near Bushwick Ave, and I saw many black people.

Only a small percentage of Latinos in NYC would be considered white, not counting the ones who have a white parent. Most are mestizo or mulatto.
Is that really true?

I think most of the Mexicans in NYC are mestizo, and most of the Dominicans are mulatto, or black-white biracial.
But many if not most of the Puerto Ricans in NYC (and also in PR of course) are racially white.
At least 50%.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
An Italian person defending Italy's heritage is one thing, an Italian person defending all Mediterranean people is another. It wouldn't be common for an East Asian person to identify themselves as someone from India, but per the census data they are all categories together as Asian. As I mentioned your position to defend all Hispanic as a category is a bit strange and it comes off as someone who is trying to validate who they are.
People generally use the term "Latino" as a racial group the way they would "white" or "black". Even though Latinos can be of any race, Latino is treated as a racial group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I1995 associates Italians with the Klan.
No I do not. I said that the Klan accepts Italians these days, I did not imply that the Klan is filled with Italians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City