U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 12:42 PM

9,115 posts, read 22,745,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Seriously. Every time I watch the news and there is breaking news about a fire, it is in the Bronx. There was another one last night. 7 alarms, 12 people injured.

What is it with fires and the Bronx?
Really, it just seems that way but there were other deadly fires in other boroughs between the 2 Bronx fires. And did you miss the Brooklyn menorah Fire and the Manhattan high rise fire ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 12:43 PM

11,787 posts, read 6,445,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This particular fire started in a ground floor furniture store at 5:30 am so who knows.Probably had nothing to do with residential tenants,kids ,ignorant immigrants or space heaters. Furniture store was probably closed yesterday too.
Speaking of Bronx residents, you're in "Beautiful Pelham Parkway". How many fires have you had in your neighborhood recently? Funny that I don't hear about fires in Woodlawn, Country Club, Morris Park, City Island, Pelham Gardens Pelham Bay or parts of Throggs Neck.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Speaking of Bronx residents, you're in "Beautiful Pelham Parkway". How many fires have you had in your neighborhood recently? Funny that I don't hear about fires in Woodlawn, Country Club, Morris Park, City Island, Pelham Gardens Pelham Bay or parts of Throggs Neck.
We had one fire about a month ago and like this one it started in a commercial space.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:50 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,706,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Its difficult to believe you have somehow never encountered a fire safety drill at the office, at school or anywhere else during your life. I'm not saying you are lying - I'm just incredulous that you never have been told this. (Even accounting for the common sense that a closed door will slow a fire even if its not a fire-door, even if only by 10 seconds which can be the difference between life and death)
At work the Fire Marshall would never cover that as the office environment is open space. They usually only cover emergency exits and exiting procedures. At school, I only learned that be careful if door handle is hot and stay low to the ground to avoid breathing smoke. Strategically closing door as you leave is not something that gets discussed.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
At work the Fire Marshall would never cover that as the office environment is open space. They usually only cover emergency exits and exiting procedures. At school, I only covered that be careful if door handle is hot and stay low to the ground to avoid breathing smoke. Strategically closing door as you leave is not something that gets discussed.
We have fire drills in my office building, and they ALWAYS talk about closing the door and keeping the fire out. What's "strategic" about closing the door behind you?

Old 01-02-2018, 01:08 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,706,922 times
Quote:
We have fire drills in my office building, and they ALWAYS talk about closing the door and keeping the fire out. What's "strategic" about closing the door behind you?
All the emergency doors automatically close and the fire is trapped within the floor as a strategy. It is not something discussed nor is it asked of anyone in the office to close the door behind them. You are expected to be courteous as you leave as to not create a stampede and certain people are appointed as the leaders who are responsible for making sure no one gets left behind.

Your comment says more about you working in a old building if you have to close your own doors.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:15 PM

Looks like the furniture store where the fire started was very large and it took up almost the entire first floor of the building. No wonder the fire engulfed the whole building in a matter of minutes. Big open space filled with wood,upholstery,mattresses ,etc. Couldn’t ask for a better conflagration scenario.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
All the emergency doors automatically close and the fire is trapped within the floor as a strategy. It is not something discussed nor is it asked of anyone in the office to close the door behind them. You are expected to be courteous as you leave as to not create a stampede and certain people are appointed as the leaders who are responsible for making sure no one gets left behind.

Your comment says more about you working in a old building if you have to close your own doors.
Most office buildings are old. I work in a historical building, so yes it is old, and of course only small modifications are allowed to it for obvious reasons.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:38 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,083,277 times
Again with the “these people don’t know any better” commentary.

Honestly, the close the door thing is something that I do not recall and I have sat through fire safety “training” meetings at work. People, even when told, don’t listen and let’s not forget that when you are in a panic situation, thinking may be clouded. The woman’s gut reaction to grab her kid and run is a natural one. Don’t act like everyone would be in hero mode especially when the safely of family comes first. They are not thinking: save the building and my neighbors! They are thinking: save me and my family! Human instinct is for self preservation, which includes family. To think otherwise means you’re not being honest. I remember a friend telling me that on 9-11 she was evacuating her office building downtown and was on crutches hobbling down the stairs and people were pushig her out of the way to get by!

Anyway, the heavy stairwell doors in my office slam shut as do the doors in my apartment building. And the reason the stairwell doors in my apt building are so heavy (you have pull hard to open) is because they *are* fire doors designed to keep fires from spreading. Also, it’s almost impossible to not shut the doors behind you since it takes extra effort to keep them open. This includes apartment doors. I learned this the hard way when I accidentally locked myself out once because my door slammed shut on my butt nearly knocking me over LOL! Both my office and apartment are new/modernized.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:42 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,083,277 times
Quote:
Most office buildings are old. I work in a historical building, so yes it is old, and of course only small modifications are allowed to it for obvious reasons.
Things like heavy self closing doors would be easy modifications for an old office building. It’s not a structural change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City