Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 10:42 AM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
this storm is a bust in NYC so far, DeBlasio hysterical as usual
I wouldn't even call this a storm. Same old perps yanking our chain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 10:49 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proroc View Post
Winter just started a few weeks ago and its already brutal.
Yeah. And it's never ending. After this bomb cyclone passes, the temps will dip to single digits (8 degrees overnight to -3 Sat night), it'll remain windy, the snow will stay frozen but...things will improve Monday! When temps will be a balmy 34 degrees and conditions reduced to a "wintry mix".

Old 01-04-2018, 11:22 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,859,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Yeah. And it's never ending. After this bomb cyclone passes, the temps will dip to single digits (8 degrees overnight to -3 Sat night), it'll remain windy, the snow will stay frozen but...things will improve Monday! When temps will be a balmy 34 degrees and conditions reduced to a "wintry mix".
Thanks for that breakdown, I now see the light at the the of the tunnel

Old 01-04-2018, 11:25 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,611,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I wouldn't even call this a storm. Same old perps yanking our chain.
Roads are a mess and wind gusts make it difficult to walk.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:28 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I have two residences... One in Manhattan and one in the outer boroughs from which I came from this morning, and yes the conditions are bad, but let's not over exaggerate. It's NYC. We've had much worse conditions. The City has gone soft, and with all of these damn transplants here, we have to now close everything when there's an inch of snow and a little wind. Give me a break. I've a native New Yorker with big balls. The rest of you complaining need to grow a pair.
Isn’t it the belief that most transplants are from the mid west where they have far worse snow conditions?

My boyfriend who, by the way, is a transplant but from Sweden, considers this weather as bad. He pointed out that it’s the wind and visibility that’s the problem, not the snow accumulations. It will be an even bigger problem when the temperature drops and it freezes. He also emphasized that New Yorkers are not accustomed to driving in snowy conditions and that is the real danger. He said, “do you really think that Senegalese cab driver is use to driving in this type of weather?” Swedish driving tests involve learning how to skid and navigate snowy and icy road conditions as well as how to avoid moose (seriously, moose statues pop up and and you have to swerve to avoid them LOL).

Old 01-04-2018, 11:31 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Isn’t it the belief that most transplants are from the mid west where they have far worse snow conditions?
All the transplants should have been at work today on time then

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-04-2018, 11:33 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
yes the conditions are bad, but let's not over exaggerate. It's NYC. We've had much worse conditions. The City has gone soft
I agree with you on all points. But... I have to say this storm turned out to be much worse than I originally had thought. I really thought it would only be a light dusting of 1 -2 inches of snow and maybe a tad bit windy. I think DeBlasio got it right by closing the schools.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:45 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
I bet all of the lives that were saved today will disagree. Good Job Mayor.

I am concerned about the deep freeze that is coming.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:48 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
The wind is what kills me. I'd rather two or three feet of snow than the nonsense outside of my window.

We'll see how the commute is going to and from work now...

Old 01-04-2018, 11:49 AM

954 posts, read 938,650 times
Damn you Deblasio for giving me a day off from work!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City