Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 07:59 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,033,538 times

Advertisements

Anybody who says "bad guys" is operating with a 10 year old mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 09:11 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,942,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If the cops didn't crush it, it would still be happening.

To be successful in the drug delivery business, you have to develop a clientele. People have to know to call you, and trust you (and you have to trust them.)

If you can just stand on a corner and sling crack (or whatever), its a much easier start up.
Even after Giuliani's crackdown people still sold drugs or sex on the street. In those days there weren't social networks, and it wasn't like everyone had a smartphone. Now with smartphones and social media you don't see this stuff in public so much. In short it was a combination of both the police crackdown AND the fact social media became a well developed alternative.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:00 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,671,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
The common rhetoric is that Giuiliani's policies were racist and I am well aware of Stop and Frisk.

However remember when NYC before Giuliani had a much heavier mob presence? He really cracked down on them as well.

Is it safe to say that when it came to crime, he was "tough on all races"?
So it must be racists that certain race commits most of the crime. Must be racist too when certain race and religion commits all the terrorist related crime.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:24 AM

15,818 posts, read 14,453,901 times
There were pagers back then, and the drug dealing industry used them heavily. Some of the bottom feeding dealers probably tried to sell on the street, but, given the aggressiveness NYPD developed, it didn't take very long for them to end up in Rikers.

Like I said, there was a time where it wasn't uncommon that I was random solicited for drug sales ("Smoke, smoke"). But at a point, after G did his thing. It just stopped. Of course, I wan't looking for it. I'm sure I could have found it if I made a minimal effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Even after Giuliani's crackdown people still sold drugs or sex on the street. In those days there weren't social networks, and it wasn't like everyone had a smartphone. Now with smartphones and social media you don't see this stuff in public so much. In short it was a combination of both the police crackdown AND the fact social media became a well developed alternative.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:47 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,942,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
There were pagers back then, and the drug dealing industry used them heavily. Some of the bottom feeding dealers probably tried to sell on the street, but, given the aggressiveness NYPD developed, it didn't take very long for them to end up in Rikers.

Like I said, there was a time where it wasn't uncommon that I was random solicited for drug sales ("Smoke, smoke"). But at a point, after G did his thing. It just stopped. Of course, I wan't looking for it. I'm sure I could have found it if I made a minimal effort.
There are still people who go smoke, smoke around the Village and Washington Square Park. Street dealing has not disappeared. Diminished, yes. But gone, no.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:39 PM

15,818 posts, read 14,453,901 times
I've walked through the Village and WSP, have been propositioned for drugs in the past, but not in a long time. Maybe I don't look like a customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There are still people who go smoke, smoke around the Village and Washington Square Park. Street dealing has not disappeared. Diminished, yes. But gone, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: