Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 10:50 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,014 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who tells me stories about his building where he works in Williamsburg. He works as a doorman/concierge in the lobby or front desk. The building is not unionized. His stories make me think WTF, never heard of such a sloppy and terrible place in such a popular environment.

Management and the Superintendent are very slow to respond to tenants, sometimes weeks later or even a month or so. Sometimes never. Issues with the building occurs such as terrible apartment flooding. The tenants do not receive any information about the issue from Management or the superintendent, so tenants then go to him or front desk staff for answers.

The building has a parking lot and a booth. No one works in the parking lot booth, vacant position. Front desk (doorman) staff are constantly called to open the gate which is far from the desk. Nothing in their contract states they have to operate the parking lot. The management/superintendent puts pressure on their doormen to monitor the parking lot, sometimes aggressively. Tenants and guest tend to sneak into the lot for free parking.

The building has 1 porter who works 2 days out of the week. Causing problematic sanitation issues.

When maintenance issues occur and it is very often. Management puts pressure on their doormen to take a look at the problem. Asking them to operate building utilities, such as boilers, water valves, electric boards. Meanwhile the superintendent rarely or ever responds or handles the issue.

Management/Superintendent at times calls desk asking the doormen to send out emails to every tenant about issues. This happens when management/superintendent do respond to issues. Isn't that their job ? Nothing in contracts states they have to do that.

The building does not have 24/7. If an emergency occurs late night and if management/superintendent responds. They ask the doormen to spend extra hours monitoring the issue and the contractors. Superintendent never shows up at those times, at all. Nor management puts pressure on the super to handle the situation.

Some of the doormen are being harassed by tenants. It's usually issues that don't relate with the front desk doormen position. Maintenance issues which management/superintendent does not respond on time (if they respond at all) and in return tenants go to the doormen about the issue. Sometimes its personal tenant vs tenant issues and the tenants tend to nag the doormen to handle it for them. Not in their contract to handle any personal issue in a face to face manner. Some of the issues with uncontrolled tenants gets close to being psychical. Management doesn't seem this is an issue.

Management/Superintendent sends contractors to the building without notifying the front desk, super is not available. Contractors arrive asking for access into certain apartments. No memos or access granted from tenants or management to front desk. Doormen would then have to be on top of it calling management about the access.

The staff manager who is in charge of the doormen asked the doormen not to speak to 32BJ when they arrive to the building asking questions about their job, isn't that illegal ? One of the doormen (probably a personal friend) has been absent over 30 to 40 times in 2017, he still has his job for some odd reason, they have no other coverage if someone calls out. Management also terminates staff with short notice after a year bringing in new inexperience staff which baffles and angers tenants.

This has to be the worst case in such a popular neighborhood. Tenant and front desk staff abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 10:56 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Is the building run by Hasidic Jews?

Old 01-06-2018, 11:00 AM

Not too sure. But it is located near Broadway, which is the southside.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:15 AM

954 posts, read 938,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Holy **** that was fast!

Old 01-06-2018, 11:22 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Is it a rental or condo? Someone's asleep at the switch. I would think this has to be pissing off the residents.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:25 AM

I believe it's a rental building.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:05 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
Not too sure. But it is located near Broadway, which is the southside.
Somethin in the challah bread ain’t clean

Old 01-06-2018, 03:47 PM

34,015 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
I have a friend who tells me stories about his building where he works in Williamsburg. He works as a doorman/concierge in the lobby or front desk. The building is not unionized. His stories make me think WTF, never heard of such a sloppy and terrible place in such a popular environment.

Management and the Superintendent are very slow to respond to tenants, sometimes weeks later or even a month or so. Sometimes never. Issues with the building occurs such as terrible apartment flooding. The tenants do not receive any information about the issue from Management or the superintendent, so tenants then go to him or front desk staff for answers.

The building has a parking lot and a booth. No one works in the parking lot booth, vacant position. Front desk (doorman) staff are constantly called to open the gate which is far from the desk. Nothing in their contract states they have to operate the parking lot. The management/superintendent puts pressure on their doormen to monitor the parking lot, sometimes aggressively. Tenants and guest tend to sneak into the lot for free parking.

The building has 1 porter who works 2 days out of the week. Causing problematic sanitation issues.

When maintenance issues occur and it is very often. Management puts pressure on their doormen to take a look at the problem. Asking them to operate building utilities, such as boilers, water valves, electric boards. Meanwhile the superintendent rarely or ever responds or handles the issue.

Management/Superintendent at times calls desk asking the doormen to send out emails to every tenant about issues. This happens when management/superintendent do respond to issues. Isn't that their job ? Nothing in contracts states they have to do that.

The building does not have 24/7. If an emergency occurs late night and if management/superintendent responds. They ask the doormen to spend extra hours monitoring the issue and the contractors. Superintendent never shows up at those times, at all. Nor management puts pressure on the super to handle the situation.

Some of the doormen are being harassed by tenants. It's usually issues that don't relate with the front desk doormen position. Maintenance issues which management/superintendent does not respond on time (if they respond at all) and in return tenants go to the doormen about the issue. Sometimes its personal tenant vs tenant issues and the tenants tend to nag the doormen to handle it for them. Not in their contract to handle any personal issue in a face to face manner. Some of the issues with uncontrolled tenants gets close to being psychical. Management doesn't seem this is an issue.

Management/Superintendent sends contractors to the building without notifying the front desk, super is not available. Contractors arrive asking for access into certain apartments. No memos or access granted from tenants or management to front desk. Doormen would then have to be on top of it calling management about the access.

The staff manager who is in charge of the doormen asked the doormen not to speak to 32BJ when they arrive to the building asking questions about their job, isn't that illegal ? One of the doormen (probably a personal friend) has been absent over 30 to 40 times in 2017, he still has his job for some odd reason, they have no other coverage if someone calls out. Management also terminates staff with short notice after a year bringing in new inexperience staff which baffles and angers tenants.

This has to be the worst case in such a popular neighborhood. Tenant and front desk staff abuse.
Address?

Otherwise why did you start the thread

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-06-2018, 09:36 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
I want to say something. But I'm being watched for anti Semitism and sexism on blogs and chats now. I want to make a comment. But I don't want pruzhany to magically show up. Anything with Jews he will show up.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:36 PM

34,015 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I want to say something. But I'm being watched for anti Semitism and sexism on blogs and chats now. I want to make a comment. But I don't want pruzhany to magically show up. Anything with Jews he will show up.
Relax fam

Happy New Year

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: