Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 11:24 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Pretty much this^^^^ and the biggest private employer in LIC citibank is gonna move out of LIC over the next few years to lower Manhattan. All non core functions that don't fit into their lower Manhattan office or jersey city will be moved to other cities or off shored. So besides giving big developers everything for free what is the local govt gonna do in terms of lowering taxes to attract more talent and companies to NYC?
Well, JetBlue moved there. So that’s something. So is Silvercup, Troma, and Jim Henson. However, that’s still pretty minimal compared to the massive amount of residential construction and the easy access to transit the area has. It boggles the mind to believe that Red Hook would somehow become an employment center with a scant single train line coming in from Manhattan and just tidbit of Riverdale. Like, what does this plan call for? Is the 1 train going to cut an east-west arc across Brooklyn connecting to the many other lines? Sure doesn’t sound like it.

The 7 train extension was built to serve some of the most expensive real estate in the world and to expand the largest commercial business district in the US. The Q train extension serves the densest residential neighborhood of the US, was a reliever for the busiest subway line in the US, allowed for the return of an additional Broadway line local and express trains, an easy switch to the F, and is a prerequisite for further expansion down the east side of Manhattan, a crosstown service uptown and into the Bronx. This 1 train extension thus far has little additional upside so why is this a priority?

The separate consolidation of maritime operations makes some sense though.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-07-2018 at 11:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 11:28 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Cuomo is so out of touch with what’s happening in the city. There are very few people in Red Hook.

Meanwhile, you’ve got places in eastern Queens that have explosive growth like Flushing, College Point, Bayside, Pomonok, Murray Hills, Fresh Meadows but very little subway service. Just look at all the bus stops in and around the 7 train terminal in downtown Flushing. The lines are block long, all the time.

Those are the places the subways need to be extended, where there is great demand.
The areas East of Flushing are often suburbanish, I'm not sure if the NIMBYs would want that.

I agree that Red Hook doesn't need a subway.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:39 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The areas East of Flushing are often suburbanish, I'm not sure if the NIMBYs would want that.

Fair point. I think it would certainly be the case 20, 15 or even 10 years ago when there was a sizable white population. That has changed tremendously since then as you know. It is now very Asian and Asians are not afraid of higher density and mass transit.

In other words, it would be more palatable in that area now than in the past and even moreso in the future.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:42 AM

15,843 posts, read 14,476,031 times
There's a lot of truth to this. Until they replace the signal system, they shouldn't be looking at new lines and/or extensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
What is wrong with people in office these day? If they cant even fix that damn subway system with constant delay, why bother with extension. This is just stupid.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:52 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post

Quote:
Fair point. I think it would certainly be the case 20, 15 or even 10 years ago when there was a sizable white population. That has changed tremendously since then as you know. It is now very Asian and Asians are not afraid of higher density and mass transit.

In other words, it would be more palatable in that area now than in the past and even moreso in the future.
Agreed on this. High density would have been a hard sell a decade or two back, but the demographics have changed as have housing prices. Turning commuter rail, including the Port Washington branch, into something like a Regional Express Rail or S-Bahn kind of system makes sense now as does a 7 train extension. If Robert Moses hadn’t deliberately designed the bridge to exclude rail, it’d be a smart opportunity to extend at least one of these over to the Bronx and serve as a cross-bronx line. Now it’d take an expensive retrofit or underground tunnel to do so.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:08 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, JetBlue moved there. So that’s something. So is Silvercup, Troma, and Jim Henson. However, that’s still pretty minimal compared to the massive amount of residential construction and the easy access to transit the area has. It boggles the mind to believe that Red Hook would somehow become an employment center with a scant single train line coming in from Manhattan and just tidbit of Riverdale. Like, what does this plan call for? Is the 1 train going to cut an east-west arc across Brooklyn connecting to the many other lines? Sure doesn’t sound like it.

The 7 train extension was built to serve some of the most expensive real estate in the world and to expand the largest commercial business district in the US. The Q train extension serves the densest residential neighborhood of the US, was a reliever for the busiest subway line in the US, allowed for the return of an additional Broadway line local and express trains, an easy switch to the F, and is a prerequisite for further expansion down the east side of Manhattan, a crosstown service uptown and into the Bronx. This 1 train extension thus far has little additional upside so why is this a priority?

The separate consolidation of maritime operations makes some sense though.
JetBlue moved there only because the majority of employees refused to move to Florida and they out grew their office in Forest Hills. So it wasn't that they wanted to go there ,but faced with a choice of most of your core employees quiting it was the correct choice to stay in Queens.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:12 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:

I definitely agree. However realistically I don't see the 7 train being extended much further East than its current terminus, if at all.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:17 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,394 times
Quote:

I think you're right. I live and own in Northeast Queens and I wouldn't mind a subway line going along say Northern Blvd. That said I would only want it if they rezoned everything for higher density. That way it would make sense for both me as a home owner and the city so that we both can benefit financially. It also gives home owners a more easy out since their property would increase in value. If they're not going to upzoned then no thanks it makes no difference to me since i can just take the LIRR and pay to transfer to the subway at a higher cost and keep the peace and quiet.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:06 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
this thread is a duplicate of an existing thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...yn-subway.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City