Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 10:17 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times

Advertisements

not everyone has a smart phone, or a phone for that matter.

I still say tokens.

tokens, tokens, tokens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 11:48 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Still amazes me that in Shanghai China, they have an affordable subway system that anyone can afford and ride. Less delays and no signal problems.

Americans pay an outrageous sum for commuter transit including the subways even though all of them get government subsidies they just can't get anything done right.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:10 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
or make sure there's always >=$2.75 on the card

Looking for 2.75 $ is no different than looking for 1 ride on the machine readout

Or $1.35.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my wife wanted to change her senior metrocard from manually adding money to auto fill from a credit card . they had to issue a new card and it took 5 weeks . they can not just take your card and link a credit card .

I tried to do the same but it was SO convoluted I gave up. I had to even re-apply for the senior card and go to Stone Street and have a new picture taken.
So whenever I go below $10, I just put $40 more on.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:06 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
OKay here is a really big idea. Why not change the MTA card system to count the amount of rides instead of money?

This way when a person purchases any of there cards they do not have to be concerned with the lack of cash. It would be just like the forever stamp. One ride, one price. Nothing would change at all. We would not change at all. People can double swipe or even triple swipe a ride. The 30-day cards would still work the same way.

Right now in many tourist areas I can see a push for a new card ( simular to the citibank offer ) where they hook up the card directly to a bank account. I just want the knowledge if there was an emergency a person could use there card without having to consult a token booth. Sometimes people are not presented and changing money to rides would create a safer environment. Besides. Your money is in there banking system already collecting interest in other markets. Why not keep your ride for when you need it. Just like a ticket.
I suspect that would lead to something similar as with the post office - sneaking up the price more often, with people being less aware of it.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:42 AM

I just want the knowledge if there was an emergency a person could use there card without having to consult a token booth.

Nope. Scenario is "Swipe again at theis turnstile" (10 times). THen "See token booth agent" who says "Your card isn't working, you have to go down to Stone Street but I will buzz you in now." "Here's an envelope."

Has anyone escaped this scenario?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: