Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2018, 03:57 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,568,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Hi Yodel. Civilized is complimentary, yes. .
No!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post

Highly educated people in hard-working, result-oriented professions do NOT tend to be liberal. .
Have you been hiding under a rock in NYC?

Most of the highly educated professionals in NYC ARE liberal. Look at the high-income neighborhoods in NYC:
Most of Manhattan
Brooklyn Heights
Williamsburg
Park Slope
Riverdale
Forest Hills

All politically liberal!

Old 01-14-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Hi elnrgby. Fair enough. I hope it works out for you. I don't know maybe it's the language - civilized. It pricks my ears up. I think you mean it as a complement, but I'm sure it wouldn't be taken that way.

I'm in Bedford Park since 2004, and couldn't help noticing that of all the people I've met over the years of higher than average income and education (compared to the rest of the neighborhood) have seemed to be very liberal. I'm sure there's people who aren't, but overall, that has been my experience. Not that there aren't conservatives in the Bronx, but they tend to concentrate in other neighborhoods. I don't think itit's a conscious decision, but that tends to be what happens.
Is Bedford Park the Mosholu Parkway (subway stop) area?
Or is that considered Norwood?
Just curious.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Hi elnrgby. Fair enough. I hope it works out for you. I don't know maybe it's the language - civilized. It pricks my ears up. I think you mean it as a complement, but I'm sure it wouldn't be taken that way.

It pricks your ears up because it's racist.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Ok but again I'd bet that the overwhelming majority of your Parkchester neighbors will interpret "civilized" as an insult (meaning people like you normally aren't). It's like "well spoken" but exponentially worse.

Do you have any statistics about educational attainment and political orientation relating to NYC? The highest income areas tend to be some of the most liberal in New York. In the Bronx anyway, the more conservative areas were historically white working class/middle class.
Exactly. The only even slightly conservative areas of the Bronx are the white working/middle class (NOT the wealthy areas), i.e., Woodlawn, Throgg's Neck, etc.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Sure but in that case, it was a lot of talk about what's wrong with poor people or minorities and how to get them civilized and to accept more personal resoonsibility...She sees a lot of her potential neighbors as takers-I'm not sayingthat's correct but it's obviously her view. Even if she keeps her views to herself (which I was doubting that she could) how can she be happy in that environment?
Also, they will pick up on her condescending attitude.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Well I'm pretty liberal and I don't want to live in a neighborhood that leans conservative. I obviously have some conservative friends and that's enough for me.
Me too. It's uncomfortable being around Trumpets.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:40 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,389,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
No, sorry, an Eastern European accent is NOT equally stigmatized in the U.S./NYC as non-white skin color.
What planet are you living on?
The truth is that a black or Hispanic person born in the US is more likely to be stigmatized than an Eastern European immigrant

Old 01-14-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The truth is that a black or Hispanic person born in the US is more likely to be stigmatized than an Eastern European immigrant
Of course! Clearly.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:43 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,389,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Of course! Clearly.
The far right actually loves Eastern Europeans because they view them as less accepting of multiculturalism. And they love Vladimir Putin too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City