Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 12:26 PM

6,219 posts, read 3,547,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Statistically the place listed on your profile is heavily Bangladeshi. South Asians vote mixed Democrat and Republican in my experience, like Latinos, Africans, Chinese and Russians.

Republicans are mostly against illegal, not legal, immigration (I'm not Republican, just giving their perspective). Many Republicans organize on Chinese and Russian language social media in fact. Illegal immigration, in their perspective gives legal immigrants a bad name. Conservatives are not anti Islam either, ISIS is NOT related to Bangladesh or India but to bad eggs in Iraq and Syria.
The only reason this part of Brooklyn isn't overwhelmingly liberal is because of the Orthodox Jewish population. They have a lot of political clout in some areas, hence Simcha Felder being our state senator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Yeah, in the Bronx anyway the more conservative neighborhoods are on the outskirts - I guess former white flight destinations. I'd think that the south shore of Staten Island has a lot in common with these areas.
It's like that in all 5 boroughs, really. Manhattan has zero conservative neighborhoods, The Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens have conservative neighborhoods only on the outskirts (the only real exception being the Orthodox enclaves like Borough Park).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 12:39 PM

1,199 posts, read 715,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
The only reason this part of Brooklyn isn't overwhelmingly liberal is because of the Orthodox Jewish population. They have a lot of political clout in some areas, hence Simcha Felder being our state senator.

It's like that in all 5 boroughs, really. Manhattan has zero conservative neighborhoods, The Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens have conservative neighborhoods only on the outskirts (the only real exception being the Orthodox enclaves like Borough Park).
I don't see Hasids in Throgs Neck

Old 03-20-2019, 01:19 PM

6,219 posts, read 3,547,135 times
Quote:
I don't see Hasids in Throgs Neck
Throgs Neck is an outskirt neighborhood. It is mostly suburban and has no subway access.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:56 PM

12,742 posts, read 8,183,730 times
Quote:
Thanks. The Riverdale / Country Club breakdown is so strange but the map does prove areas concentrated with Asians and Latinos (Flushing, South Brooklyn) are politically mixed. Why is Riverdale voting against their economic interests. Sound very odd.

I think that in my area (10460/ 10472) people are simply not voting. There are a lot of FOBs in the mid-Bronx area who may not have US citizenship. The ones that are voting are probably SJW gentrifiers so having 2 voters in an area probably pushes up the Democrat number unnaturally.
Riverdale consists of lots of liberal types. Lots of Manhattanites move up there for starters. You also have some Jews but the more liberal ones, and some directly from Israel. They are some conservatives, primarily in Fieldston (subsection of Riverdale and the richest part of Riverdale outside of Central Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil). They are what you could call moderate Democrats, but there are definitely some that are fiscally conservative, versus say Morris Park or Country Club which tends to be conservative overall and Republican, given the Italian-American population in both areas. The same is true of Pelham Bay and parts of Throggs Neck.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 03-20-2019 at 02:05 PM..

Old 03-20-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Throgs Neck is an outskirt neighborhood. It is mostly suburban and has no subway access.
A lot of people live there for bus access to Flushing, I think, if they work there.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Riverdale consists of lots of liberal types. Lots of Manhattanites move up there for starters. You also have some Jews but the more liberal ones, and some directly from Israel. They are some conservatives, primarily in Fieldston (subsection of Riverdale and the richest part of Riverdale outside of Central Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil). They are what you could call moderate Democrats, but there are definitely some that are fiscally conservative, versus say Morris Park or Country Club which tends to be conservative overall and Republican given the Italian-American population in both areas. The same is true of Pelham Bay and Country Club.
Through reading many NYC history books, I always thought that the prior generation of immigrants within the white and Latino communities had integrated with mainstream American culture in many ways while maintaining symbolic ethnicity. TIL that they vote differently to this day. Wheels within wheels...

Old 03-21-2019, 08:31 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,611,656 times
Quote:
Thanks. The Riverdale / Country Club breakdown is so strange but the map does prove areas concentrated with Asians and Latinos (Flushing, South Brooklyn) are politically mixed. Why is Riverdale voting against their economic interests. Sound very odd.

I think that in my area (10460/ 10472) people are simply not voting. There are a lot of FOBs in the mid-Bronx area who may not have US citizenship. The ones that are voting are probably SJW gentrifiers so having 2 voters in an area probably pushes up the Democrat number unnaturally.
It's pretty common here for people to vote against their self interest, and there's lots of reasons for it. I think a lot of times people get their ideology from their parents or from where they live, so if they grow up in a conservative area, they are more likely to be conservative as adults. Or sometimes, people's financial interest may line up better with one party, but socially with another. So you get wealthy people who vote Democrat, people who rely on the safety net or are union members voting Republican. That happens all the time. Socially conservative immigrants would probably naturally gravitate to the Republican party but may feel unwelcome there now.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
It's pretty common here for people to vote against their self interest, and there's lots of reasons for it. I think a lot of times people get their ideology from their parents or from where they live, so if they grow up in a conservative area, they are more likely to be conservative as adults. Or sometimes, people's financial interest may line up better with one party, but socially with another. So you get wealthy people who vote Democrat, people who rely on the safety net or are union members voting Republican. That happens all the time. Socially conservative immigrants would probably naturally gravitate to the Republican party but may feel unwelcome there now.
It could also be purely stochastic. Like, my dad was fairly moderate until the police shooting incident in Brooklyn and its subsequent discussion on WeChat, an East Asian social network, drove him to the right. Before 2001 I remember noticing that a lot of my Bangladeshi friends parents voted Republican. But after that because the school based bullying started they moved left.

I wonder if any random incidents happened to the Italian, Jewish, and Puerto Rican communities before 1965, that may have driven them to the right or left.

Last edited by fatsquirrel; 03-21-2019 at 09:04 AM..

Old 03-21-2019, 09:16 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,611,656 times
Quote:
It could also be purely stochastic. Like, my dad was fairly moderate until the police shooting incident in Brooklyn and its subsequent discussion on WeChat, an East Asian social network, drove him to the right. Before 2001 I remember noticing that a lot of my Bangladeshi friends parents voted Republican. But after that because the school based bullying started they moved left.
You mean the guy from Baltimore shooting 2 officers a few years ago? People on WeChat were blaming the Black Lives Matter movement?

2001 school bullying related to 9/11?

Quote:
I wonder if any random incidents happened to the Italian, Jewish, and Puerto Rican communities before 1965, that may have driven them to the right or left.
Like I said before, in general the white flight destinations are still more conservative than the rest of the city after all these years. I don't know if the people who white flighted were just more conservative than average NYers at the time, or if they became that way. Long Island was a common destination too and it still leans conservative.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
You mean the guy from Baltimore shooting 2 officers a few years ago? People on WeChat were blaming the Black Lives Matter movement?

2001 school bullying related to 9/11?

Like I said before, in general the white flight destinations are still more conservative than the rest of the city after all these years. I don't know if the people who white flighted were just more conservative than average NYers at the time, or if they became that way. Long Island was a common destination too and it still leans conservative.
No, a lot of us were galvanized because the Chinese guy got locked up (I think?) for shooting a black suspect, despite it being an accident. I don't think he was from Baltimore. Now I am pro-BLM but it was an entryway for a lot of people who use Chinese language social media, into politics. Also a lot of my South Asian friends got static after 9/11 due to Islamophobia... scared to go to school and stuff.

To corroborate this, I found out after college that one of my other ex-friends and his group of boys, went out of their way to rob South Asian and Arab people as revenge for 9/11.

Last edited by fatsquirrel; 03-21-2019 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City