Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 03:50 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,196,527 times

Advertisements

Wow I can’t believe The right-wing extremists on this board would stoop so low as use this one guy as an opportunity to bash... firefighters? Like TF? They fight fire for a living and you are claiming they are entitled? Jesus Christ I will never understand the insanity of rightists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 04:01 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You go out to parts of Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens and even Bronx; many FDNY, DSNY, NYPD, Corrections and other "civil servants" own their homes. Have one or two *very* nice vehicles, take regular vacations, often own one or more vacation/rental properties, their kids are in private/parochial schools then onto college.... In short very solid middle to upper middle class lifestyle.
Only waiting to achieve the last two steps. Should have my vacation home in a few years, but definitely in retirement.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:18 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Wow I can’t believe The right-wing extremists on this board would stoop so low as use this one guy as an opportunity to bash... firefighters? Like TF? They fight fire for a living and you are claiming they are entitled? Jesus Christ I will never understand the insanity of rightists

Happens all the time.

You should read some of the comments over on SILive (Staten Island Advance) about this or any other time a "civil servant" (but mainly FDNY, DSNY, NYPD, etc...) is in trouble. Lots of sour grapes from a bunch of sore or otherwise losers.

You ask "did you take or pass the test"? No and no comes back the reply, but yet they feel free to pass judgment on those that did, and got hired.

People just can't handle the fact guys did the right thing; put their names down soon as the finished high school. Went to college or whatever until called, got in and did their time now are out or getting ready to leave with a nice pension and great bennies including healthcare. On and many will still be young enough to have a whole other life ahead of them to take on maybe a second career or just enjoy life.

Meanwhile many of the high falutin guys who went to Saint John's or whatever now find themselves in their 50's or so having been "downsized" if not outright fired. So they are out there trying to "reinvent" themselves while trying to find ways to keep meat on the table and a roof over their heads.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:27 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Happens all the time.

You should read some of the comments over on SILive (Staten Island Advance) about this or any other time a "civil servant" (but mainly FDNY, DSNY, NYPD, etc...) is in trouble. Lots of sour grapes from a bunch of sore or otherwise losers.

You ask "did you take or pass the test"? No and no comes back the reply, but yet they feel free to pass judgment on those that did, and got hired.

People just can't handle the fact guys did the right thing; put their names down soon as the finished high school. Went to college or whatever until called, got in and did their time now are out or getting ready to leave with a nice pension and great bennies including healthcare. On and many will still be young enough to have a whole other life ahead of them to take on maybe a second career or just enjoy life.

Meanwhile many of the high falutin guys who went to Saint John's or whatever now find themselves in their 50's or so having been "downsized" if not outright fired. So they are out there trying to "reinvent" themselves while trying to find ways to keep meat on the table and a roof over their heads.
Those people vote for people like Trump, whose budget cuts government services. Mind you the erosion of government services and the attacks on pensions have been going on for quite some time. New Jersey's pension is underfunded.

Trump will cut public education and academia. With various discretional spending cut to the states, other civil servants have their jobs in danger as well. If medicaid is cut, then there goes a number of medical jobs.

You may call those people losers or so, but collectively they are taking action and the middle to upper middle class will be further eroded.

One construction nutjob I know was claiming the NYPD or NYFD pensions were like welfare. Now as I as I may criticize certain things about the laws and how the police force is used, the bottom line is NYPD and NYFD put their lives on the line and deserve their salaries and pension. This fool was hating on cops, firemen, nurses, and others because they had pensions and time off.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:49 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Those people vote for people like Trump, whose budget cuts government services. Mind you the erosion of government services and the attacks on pensions have been going on for quite some time. New Jersey's pension is underfunded.

Trump will cut public education and academia. With various discretional spending cut to the states, other civil servants have their jobs in danger as well. If medicaid is cut, then there goes a number of medical jobs.

You may call those people losers or so, but collectively they are taking action and the middle to upper middle class will be further eroded.

One construction nutjob I know was claiming the NYPD or NYFD pensions were like welfare. Now as I as I may criticize certain things about the laws and how the police force is used, the bottom line is NYPD and NYFD put their lives on the line and deserve their salaries and pension. This fool was hating on cops, firemen, nurses, and others because they had pensions and time off.
Budgets can't just keep getting larger and larger at the pace it has been under Obama. Either way, you can cut this and cut that, but nevertheless in the real-world, unemployment is as low as it has been in a long time, and manufacturing at its highest.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:55 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Ok, the pair of ya; this thread is veering widely from original intent. If you two have a beef.... *LOL*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City