Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2018, 02:38 PM

99 posts, read 82,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Thanks for the above replies.

I actually know my neighbor doesn't like me and I was told "Better get use to it" Thats when the emails to management and calls to 311 started. I use the calls to 311 for document purposes as well. Which is why I now only email management for proof. I've sent them video's of the noise and have copied what the quiet hours in our lease states, this just don't reply.
I also complain about other unsafe issues in the building frequently, management know I'm not one to sit quiet. I pay my rent...I'd like a safe and civil place to live.

I'm by no means a an old cranky lady I go out and have fun but I don't bring the party home. If I'm getting home at 3-4am from a night out I expect to be able to go to bed now be up till 6-7am when the neighbors get-together ends. I should not have to plan my sleeping schedule around the one person.
I live in NNJ, 20 min from lower Manhattan, and the people are predictably rude as well with noise. Predictably, management is unresponsive, even when you have proof. I managed to get my neighbor fined, but he bullied them until they reversed it. Their argument? It's my word against his. I had proof from other incidents, just not the one that got him fined, so apparently, he's allowed to get off on a technicality. Since then, he's been confrontational and not any better with the noise, so you'll unfortuanatly be facing that if you persist.
I'm not one to sit quietly either by the way. Even today, after 5 hours of non-stop thumping bass, I went down and asked if he would be much longer with the music. He got in my face about how he has a right to hear music. I spat right back and I have a right to not hear and feel thumping bass for 5 hours. His rights don't trump mine at any point, ever. But I have endless drama with this a**hole, so I can't even say it's worth it. People like what you've got next door are usually sociopaths with no ability to be courteous, so doing something tends to make things worse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 05:15 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokwhite View Post
People like what you've got next door are usually sociopaths with no ability to be courteous, so doing something tends to make things worse
Yeah. They can't be shamed or made to feel guilty like normal people. Course if they were normal, they wouldn't be so loud 24/7 in the first place.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Yeah. They can't be shamed or made to feel guilty like normal people. Course if they were normal, they wouldn't be so loud 24/7 in the first place.
Indeed, it's the same vicious circle. Me: I have a right not to have hear your music, video games, movies, closet slamming, etc, each and every day. Him: I pay rent so I have a right to do things in my apartment. See -- that's a sociopath. He also quotes city laws and lease technicalities, meaning like a good defense lawyer, he knows he's guilty but technicalities make him "not guilty". Whereas a normal human would be like "Oh, that must be awful for you. I'll just turn down my bass". It's really a lose/lose.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:21 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
You're up crap creek living in NYCHA 2.0 buildings. sorry to say

Old 01-27-2018, 06:23 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
I actually think the new affordable 60% and below buildings are WORSE than the projects cuz people won the luxury lottery. of COURSE all their scrubby friends are gonna come around like dirty pigeons. duh

Old 01-27-2018, 08:51 PM

593 posts, read 470,724 times
I would pay extra rent to live in a building where the rules were enforced. Unfortunately, I don't know of such a place.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
I would pay extra rent to live in a building where the rules were enforced. Unfortunately, I don't know of such a place.
Haha, this is so true. I've yet to find a building where management actually had a spine!

Old 01-27-2018, 09:00 PM

593 posts, read 470,724 times
Quote:
Haha, this is so true. I've yet to find a building where management actually had a spine!
The path of least resistance is to not enforce the rules, and it is a landlord's market, so they can always find another tenant who will pay the same or more if someone leaves the building. Our current culture also eschews any sort of standards or norms, so anything goes, and if you complain, then you are just being intolerant.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
The path of least resistance is to not enforce the rules, and it is a landlord's market, so they can always find another tenant who will pay the same or more if someone leaves the building. Our current culture also eschews any sort of standards or norms, so anything goes, and if you complain, then you are just being intolerant.
Agree w/ you 100%! It's a apathetic, greedy culture where no one has values, common sense or morals. In this building for ex, it's no wonder there's been so much turnover right on my side of the building- the a**hole who lives right in the middle apt on our end defends his right to floor rumbling bass, since it's technically below the city ordinance decibel level (not always true, but cops never get here on time). So management refuses to step in, knowing we'll eventually move. I will too, once I can find something comparable. We always lose, don't we

Old 01-27-2018, 11:50 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Yeah. It doesn't only occur in NYCHA. My friend had problems with "loud 3 AM TV people" in her co-op on the UES. Everybody in the whole bldg hated them but no one could do anything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City