Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 07:36 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc-transplant-150988 View Post
Because some New Yorkers want high taxes, they want millions of immigrants from poor countries, they see diversity as a great thing and they are willing to reduce their own living standards to accommodate everyone and their cousins to come here.

Also go to any park Saturday or Sunday morning in the summer with BBQ's, trash is everywhere and you'll see NYC cleanup crews cleaning it all up. They are all paid for with your taxes!!

The solution is to move to LI, Westchester or NJ where you at least aren't paying for this ridiculousness.
I don't know who told you such a lie but I vote for Republicans and fiscally conservative Independents. The Democrats do nothing but tax and spend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 07:37 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Thanks Oy,

If you could forward me the link ....
I have followed Chicago economic trend and see different especially in the real estate market.
It does matter if they work and sleep in the same place. Doesn't count if they work here and
fly home elsewhere.

Either way thanks for the input...

Old 07-25-2018, 07:39 AM

1,183 posts, read 707,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
But they have high property taxes...
And well-funded schools and sports facilities to match.
A lot of NYC income tax goes into a hole - people in the burbs generally see exactly where their taxes are going and vote on the budgets.

6 of one and half a dozen of the other...

Old 07-25-2018, 07:41 AM

1,183 posts, read 707,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
You nailed it Pal.

The Governor is nothing like his father. I am sickened watching him move left
and more left in his discussions while gravitating his focus on the presidency.
Be more like your father Mario and less like Bernie.....
He's currently competing with loopy Cynthia Nixon for the primary - he'll center again at a more sensible place after she dissolves.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:41 AM

4 posts, read 2,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
But they have high property taxes...
I think my NYC property taxes are high. I have no property. Friends with houses and land in nj pay less taxes, some do pay more for very big homes in very nice towns but most pay a comparable amount if not less than I do and then we have the city income tax on top of it, not in lieu of.

Also NYC has a lot of renters that claim to live outside the city to avoid the city tax...

Last edited by Nycuws123; 07-25-2018 at 08:02 AM..

Old 07-25-2018, 08:09 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Thanks Oy,

If you could forward me the link ....
I have followed Chicago economic trend and see different especially in the real estate market.
It does matter if they work and sleep in the same place. Doesn't count if they work here and
fly home elsewhere.

Either way thanks for the input...
This is one of several articles on this and they generally draw from US census and ACS data.

Quote:
You nailed it Pal.

The Governor is nothing like his father. I am sickened watching him move left
and more left in his discussions while gravitating his focus on the presidency.
Be more like your father Mario and less like Bernie.....
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...cated-big-city

The generalization of left and right in actual policy is pretty unhelpful since there is functionally a grand total of two parties and both internally run a gamut of policies with different overlaps among different constituencies. I’d much prefer a Bernie to an Andy Cuomo as at least there is some attempt at accountability for taxes and spending and he hasn’t mysteriously awarded a massive number of contracts through associates in rigged biddings while then having these projects just go completely to **** with no accountability afterwards.

Tax and spending isn’t by itself the issue. It’s just part of being in organized society—it’s what is being taxed, how it’s being taxed, and where and how it’s being spent. Cuomo on these accounts can go suck a nut.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-25-2018 at 08:32 AM..

Old 07-25-2018, 09:03 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Sucks that in order to live in a city environment, we have to deal with such BS. Ah well, still beats sitting in traffic every day living a monotonous life. I'd rather have an audit on the federal government, that's where I feel like I lose most of my money. The state at least gives me a subway, commuter rail to go to the arcade in Hicksville, and rent stabilization as flawed as it is. Can't say much about the city income taxes, that's a bit of a mystery and I need to look more into what the city taxes actually pay for vs the state. Federal taxes though? Yuck, legal extortion. I'm not sure what my 33% gets me from the Feds anymore outside of outrageous ideological BS.

I'd rather leave the country rather than the city, but that's just where I stand. American by birth, not by choice.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:25 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Sucks that in order to live in a city environment, we have to deal with such BS. Ah well, still beats sitting in traffic every day living a monotonous life. I'd rather have an audit on the federal government, that's where I feel like I lose most of my money. The state at least gives me a subway, commuter rail to go to the arcade in Hicksville, and rent stabilization as flawed as it is. Can't say much about the city income taxes, that's a bit of a mystery and I need to look more into what the city taxes actually pay for vs the state. Federal taxes though? Yuck, legal extortion. I'm not sure what my 33% gets me from the Feds anymore outside of outrageous ideological BS.

I'd rather leave the country rather than the city, but that's just where I stand. American by birth, not by choice.
Well, we need a lot defense spending and our last several military actions were pretty costly without markedly good results.

NYS also gets a terrible federal net spending to federal tax receipt. Almost abysmally bad, and considering that NYC net donates to upstate, probably especially bad for the city and its metropolitan area.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-25-2018 at 09:36 AM..

Old 07-25-2018, 07:22 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Oy Crumbler:

Please check this: As of May 2018
Chicago region gains high earners but loses population overall as outmigration increases and immigration stagnates.
This is an anomaly. Population increase usually follow high earners. I think this is going to be a wait and see. Thanks for your input.

Chicago region gains high earners but loses population overall as outmigration increases and immigration stagnates - CMAP

Old 07-25-2018, 07:33 PM

26 posts, read 15,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post

I wish the city would do a better job regulating rent stabilized properties. I’ve lived in 3 such properties in Brooklyn (all you had to know someone to get in, never advertised or through a broker) and all 3 were pretty gross in common areas, had to kick scream and beg to get things like an exterminator or new appliances even when old ones were falling apart. I lived in a rent stabilized place in jersey one year (in Hoboken) and it was beautiful and well maintained. DC has a ton of well maintained stabilized places too.

The new affordable housing luxury buildings are obviously a different thing. Maybe others have had different experiences from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: