Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 06:34 AM

30 posts, read 21,719 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone - Please correct me if wrong, but does NYC not have the highest tax rates on income in the world?

The media loves to point the the dysfunction in California, but what about NYC?

For self-employed people, doesn't the UBT and self-employment tax add up to 70% marginal tax rates at the top? Once "you make it here," you can pay 70% of what you make so it'll be next to impossible to accumulate wealth?

I haven't heard this being talked about very much. Why are some New Yorkers paying 70% income tax while people in London pay no more than 50% AND get free health insurance?

To be clear, I am not in this top bracket but I hope to be one day by working hard. The prospect of 70% in combined income taxes seems so demoralizing and unfair though.

Figured this injustice should be discussed, as tax season is upon us.

Source study: https://www.hauseit.com/things-to-co...rtment-in-nyc/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 06:35 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyhoward255 View Post
Hi Everyone - Please correct me if wrong, but does NYC not have the highest tax rates on income in the world?

The media loves to point the the dysfunction in California, but what about NYC?

For self-employed people, doesn't the UBT and self-employment tax add up to 70% marginal tax rates at the top? Once "you make it here," you can pay 70% of what you make so it'll be next to impossible to accumulate wealth?

I haven't heard this being talked about very much. Why are some New Yorkers paying 70% income tax while people in London pay no more than 50% AND get free health insurance?

To be clear, I am not in this top bracket but I hope to be one day by working hard. The prospect of 70% in combined income taxes seems so demoralizing and unfair though.

Figured this injustice should be discussed, as tax season is upon us.

Source study: https://www.hauseit.com/things-to-co...rtment-in-nyc/
I think tax rate is so high because of the amount of spending that is required for the state. Part of it has to do with people who are in welfare system. This is simply the cost of living to live in NYC.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:45 AM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Another thing is that this city is a massive piggybank for the rest of the state and the country. If there was anything even close to commensurate state and federal spending to tax receipt in the city, then the services rendered here probably could be well funded and then some which would lessen gripes about the heavy taxes for some.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:49 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Someone has to take care of the millions of slugs we have living here.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:50 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
you mean our extended families ha ha ha

Old 01-18-2018, 07:06 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
actually it is because compared to long island and westchester real estate taxes are a fraction of other areas . nyc has an income tax instead . which is better is an individual situation .

Old 01-18-2018, 08:23 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
1. NYC has income tax to offset relatively low property taxes.
2. NYC doesn't even have the highest local taxes in the country, let alone the world... Chicago has higher local taxes (sales tax, income, and all other fees that they charge).
3. Those tax calculations on the website are completely wrong. For one, if you are making enough money to be in the top federal/local tax brackets, you ain't paying 7.65% FICA taxes on all your income....

Old 07-23-2018, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,304 times
Lived in NYC many years. Paid ~55% Income Taxes. NYC income Tax + State income tax + Federal + FICA. Paid through the Nose 4 many years. <<<But when I needed help.>>> It was "Go pound salt Buddy !" I guess I was the wrong color. Sorry, I have 2 call it as I see it.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:24 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times
I for one cant wait for NYC to cut municipal employee salaries and overly generous retirement plans.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
NY is for tax slaves. Cuomo offers tax free for companies to open for business here and hire people. That's how they get you to pay for it all. Pre-K, food stamps, affordable housing, HMO for the poor, school free lunch program, etc. You name it. All this paid for by your taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: