Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2018, 10:01 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,035,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And so it goes to show you NOBODY cares if you have the highest test scores or not.

Oprah is now being pushed for President. I don't think she designed rockets.

Bush, Trump, and Oprah are people who used money and business/political connections to get what they want.

I know you have a revenge of the supernerds going on due to your being bullied growing up, but the society doesn't care at all if you were the top scoring student in your high school, or what high school you went to.
Well we'll just have to see how long the competitive advantages built up after WWII will last with these people. For the most part I think they are doing alright since most just listen to their advisers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 10:02 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,811,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
But it is. The ability to campaign and get people to listen to you is the primary hurdle to getting elected. Even in the corporate world those same skills are the primary skills up the corporate ladder. Most people in upper management spend the bulk of their time figuring out how to interact with people and what to say and how to say it. And a lot of people work really hard at it so it's not like they don't do work. Just shuffling a deck that someone else created for them can take a whole day.
Though Bush was helped by his father's name, and his father's people. Mind you, Bush the father was helped by his father as he launched his political career. Just as our current President had a lot of help from his father, Fred Trump. I do think Trump is brilliant at branding, and he has certainly did a fantastic job in licensing out his name/brand.

But none of these men were ever considered to be the best students and none of them were said to be "smart". One of Trump's professors called him the dumbest student he had. And yet all that man was a professor, when Trump became a famous billionaire and then the President.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Maybe it's a sign that the US isn't completely a meritocracy based on the ability to excel at their job. It's a wild concept though, so I think we'll need to do some serious studies on this.
A number of serious studies have been done on this.

Look them up.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:05 PM

36,899 posts, read 38,810,969 times
Quote:
A number of serious studies have been done on this.

Look them up.
Yes, that's the joke, Ted.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Though Bush was helped by his father's name, and his father's people. Mind you, Bush the father was helped by his father as he launched his political career. Just as our current President had a lot of help from his father, Fred Trump. I do think Trump is brilliant at branding, and he has certainly did a fantastic job in licensing out his name/brand.

But none of these men were ever considered to be the best students and none of them were said to be "smart". One of Trump's professors called him the dumbest student he had. And yet all that man was a professor, when Trump became a famous billionaire and then the President.
I recall reading an article critiquing a restaurant that he owns or rents space to. It has one of the funnies quotes that pretty much summaries what his branding is, that he's a poor man's idea of what a rich man should be.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I know people that are at least average that took at least 8 years to get their bachelors degree. I mean what do I have to say about someone like that and are you gonna listen to any excuses from them? He/she certainly didn't find a good job afterwards, but he/she is doing alright money wise considering how f'ed up he/she always went about doing things. And again you're picking from the exceptions. I also remember seeing in a video how this guy has a 200+ IQ working as a bouncer. In his spare time he likes to read physics and is working on a theory of everything.

As for test prep did you know that when they switched to the common core the first year there was no prep from either the teachers since they didn't teach the material yet, as well as no tutoring classes available. Lots of people were hoping that a certain ethnic group that you're alluding to would be exposed as nothing, but test prepers. And it turns out that the number one school in the entire NYS besides only the top two G&T school in Manhattan was a school in Bayside. Not Scaresdale, not Great Neck, but Bayside by a long mile. Also the top 5 non-exam based elementary schools that year were all in NYC. Two in Bayside, one on upper west side, one in park slope and one in Chinatown. Those were the best of the best schools without test prep. Of course after two or three years of materials being around and test boycotting from wealthy suburbs they caught up. So next time you talk about test prep you can point your finger at the wealthy suburbs with so called well rounded kids because it shows in the dramatic drop in scores with a new test and the dramatic rise a few years after. So don't tell me about test prep and district 26 cause I don't buy that as the only reason we do well. Just more sour grape racial BS. And we'd all be thrilled if the busing to the High schools here stop. Why even get bused here for test prep.
Mark Zuckerberg never got his bachelor's degree. He doesn't need one. Puff Daddy never got his bachelor's degree. He doesn't need one. There are a number of very wealthy people in the tech sector, in film/tv, music, sports, real estate, etc who end up doing pretty well, and in some cases are fantastically successful WITHOUT degrees.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I recall reading an article critiquing a restaurant that he owns or rents space to. It has one of the funnies quotes that pretty much summaries what his branding is, that he's a poor man's idea of what a rich man should be.
What are you referring to?

Any of those hes are much better off than a nerdy NYC public school student is ever going to be.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
What are you referring to?

Any of those hes are much better off than a nerdy NYC public school student is ever going to be.
He's better off than 99.9% of the people that have graduated from and will ever graduate from any of the schools you went to and will go to or will ever be friends with.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:14 PM

36,899 posts, read 38,810,969 times
Quote:
Mark Zuckerberg never got his bachelor's degree. He doesn't need one. Puff Daddy never got his bachelor's degree. He doesn't need one. There are a number of very wealthy people in the tech sector, in film/tv, music, sports, real estate, etc who end up doing pretty well, and in some cases are fantastically successful WITHOUT degrees.
The vast majority of those fabulously wealthy now in the tech sector had degrees and those who didn't finish and get degrees did extremely well in getting into good schools without the backing of enormously wealthy parents. Among well paying jobs, tech has been, though will not necessarily remain, the domain of people with concrete skills at the job they set out on.

I argue that because it's so concentrated on results on a hard skill with a prerequisite of some level of logical reasoning built into the field, it's one of the more meritocratic fields someone can launch into.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The vast majority of those fabulously wealthy now in the tech sector had degrees and those who didn't got degrees did extremely well in getting into good schools without the backing of enormously wealthy parents. Tech has been, though will not necessarily remain, the domain of people with actual skills at the job they set out on.
The dude likes to just cherry pick data. Especially went we discuss things having to education. I know why he's so sensitive and try to avoid going there. But I'll say this unlike my kids he doesn't need to get high scores so of course it doesn't matter. And if we're cherry picking data there's like what one lottery winner every few weeks. Better off being one of thousands that struck it rich with a dollar than a handful of examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City