Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 01:34 PM

8,689 posts, read 11,078,805 times

Advertisements

where would the revenue go? The black hole of the MTA? DeBlasio's building an infinite amount of affordable & homeless housing? At the end of the day, little will change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 01:38 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
By 2020. I'll be out of NYC. I hope.
Where you going ?

Old 01-19-2018, 01:39 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemsone View Post
What about manhattan residents ?
no exception to toll

Old 01-19-2018, 01:54 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
where would the revenue go? The black hole of the MTA? DeBlasio's building an infinite amount of affordable & homeless housing? At the end of the day, little will change.
I wouldn’t bet on it. If they’re going to charge $11.52 to every car that enters lower Manhattan you could be talking about annual revenue into the billions of dollars a year after a quick back of the envelope calculation. You can buy a lot of subway improvements for that kind of money.

Naturally Deblasio hates the idea because...I don’t actually know why. He’s just an idiot I guess who is more concerned with his own re-election. He wants to fund it through a millionaire tax. I’m not saying that’s necessarily a bad idea either but if I had to choose one it wouldn’t be that.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:04 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I wouldn’t bet on it. If they’re going to charge $11.52 to every car that enters lower Manhattan you could be talking about annual revenue into the billions of dollars a year after a quick back of the envelope calculation. You can buy a lot of subway improvements for that kind of money.

Naturally Deblasio hates the idea because...I don’t actually know why. He’s just an idiot I guess who is more concerned with his own re-election. He wants to fund it through a millionaire tax. I’m not saying that’s necessarily a bad idea either but if I had to choose one it wouldn’t be that.
DeBlasio was already reelected. He's term limited now.

It's a pipe dream idea, but may eventually go through because the mass majority of poor disgusting disenfranchised people who live in New York can't believe how third world the place is.
Your terrible governor wants to look proactive but not recognize infinite taxing and spending isn't fixing anything over the long term.

The MTA as an agency will literally be the death knell of the city and the state.

I left New York of what I thought was how terrible their mismanagement was- but in reality, the fact that New York has been steering in the wrong direction for 20 years, and will never become the city of the future it looked to become in my early childhood.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:06 PM

8,689 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Every time MTA raises fares, the union wants a raise saying they can afford it. Don't forget the scam capital improvements which cost triple what it should be. See the thread with the NYT link for that.

I agree the roads are congested. Vehicles that pay to the MTA black hole is just out of hand. Vehicles already pay sky high tolls, vehicle registrations, gas tax, etc all the MTA. Few here comment, who cares...just a few rich jerks who will pay more. This bites back to cost of living as deliveries will cost more. Cab rides will cost more. May impact tourism as well for those who drive in.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:16 PM

453 posts, read 345,036 times
$11.52? What a weird number.

If there are not also improvements made to regional transportation, I can see this having a negative effect on local visitors. Will New Jerseyans/upstate NYers, etc go to less Broadway shows, museums, concerts and overall visit the city less on weekends? Speaking only for NJ, our regional transportation (NJ Transit, not PATH) is horrible, overpriced and has an extremely limited schedule on weekends. Will more people have to drive and park at PATH stations? How much more crowding will there be? Or will people just say screw it, it's not worth the hassle?

Let's see what comes of this proposal..

Old 01-19-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Every time MTA raises fares, the union wants a raise saying they can afford it. Don't forget the scam capital improvements which cost triple what it should be. See the thread with the NYT link for that.

I agree the roads are congested. Vehicles that pay to the MTA black hole is just out of hand. Vehicles already pay sky high tolls, vehicle registrations, gas tax, etc all the MTA. Few here comment, who cares...just a few rich jerks who will pay more. This bites back to cost of living as deliveries will cost more. Cab rides will cost more. May impact tourism as well for those who drive in.
Nobody disputes that driving is an expensive privilege around here but that’s not a good enough reason to continue to allow a quality of life issue like this to be inflicted upon everybody. When it takes an hour to go acros town during rush hour in a taxi and cars are so jam packed into the place that they block the intersections, block the cross walks, the bike lanes, etc, it makes life miserable for everybody. The toll is designed specifically as a deterrent. You don’t like it there are other options

Old 01-19-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
DeBlasio was already reelected. He's term limited now.

It's a pipe dream idea, but may eventually go through because the mass majority of poor disgusting disenfranchised people who live in New York can't believe how third world the place is.
Your terrible governor wants to look proactive but not recognize infinite taxing and spending isn't fixing anything over the long term.

The MTA as an agency will literally be the death knell of the city and the state.

I left New York of what I thought was how terrible their mismanagement was- but in reality, the fact that New York has been steering in the wrong direction for 20 years, and will never become the city of the future it looked to become in my early childhood.
Yeah but he ran on this. Of course he’d rather anger a few rich a-holes by threatening a special tax on them for public transportation services they probably don’t even use rather than risk his thumb sucking voter base with any tough love. He panders, he wins. That’s politics.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:05 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I get so tired of hearing this excuse. Let's admit that plenty of the people driving do so because they think they are too good to use public transit. While I agree that the system isn't the greatest, all of the people that drive because it is horrible can now pay towards improving the system or take it and stop clogging up the damn roads with one person in the car.

How about you carpool? I'm sure there's an excuse for that too. We have too many people driving and that's the problem and you're adding to the congestion here.

Let me ask you genius---who am I carpooling with when I am working different hours than everyone else and coming from a different location than most of the people working there? I do NOT drive to the city, where my full-time job is---I drive to my part-time job, which is in one of the other boroughs. Who is then driving me to my job in the city before or after my part-time job? There is no train near that job and there is no way I'd get to my other job, especially considering how bad the trains are on a regular basis.

I ALWAYS take public transit to my job in the city even though I work off hours and every other weekend. But please, go on with how I make the city more congested in the car I don't drive there and continue to add your favorite .

My coworker drives---like I said we work off hours---and the last time she tried to take the train/bus home, it took her three hours. She left work at midnight and got home at three in the morning. Why would she do that when she can drive home in forty minutes?

And separately yes, many countries in Europe incentivize people to take transit but their transit is much better. I don't mind paying more for better transit, but if the MTA charged $5 per ride starting tomorrow, everything would still be the same. Unless something dramatically changes, it will always remain a pit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City