Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 07:26 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Flushing is definitely not the CBD of Queens. It's more like the Korean capital of NYC and second Chinese Capital of NYC. The municipal center is Kew Gardens/Jamaica because that's where the borough facilities are. There isn't a CBD in Queens, there are three main high density economic activity zones Flushing, LIC, Jamaica Center and a bunch of smaller ones
https://www.nycedc.com/service/centr...ness-districts

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 07:34 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
see flushing isn't even on that list, but that's a snub probably because it's Asian business. Bunch of racists!

Old 01-22-2018, 07:41 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
see flushing isn't even on that list, but that's a snub probably because it's Asian business. Bunch of racists!
Yeah because 125th Street is pretty much fully gentrified now

Jamaica too

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-22-2018, 09:43 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Flushing is definitely not the CBD of Queens. It's more like the Korean capital of NYC and second Chinese Capital of NYC. The municipal center is Kew Gardens/Jamaica because that's where the borough facilities are. There isn't a CBD in Queens, there are three main high density economic activity zones Flushing, LIC, Jamaica Center and a bunch of smaller ones
There is business in Flushing. More than anyone ever gives it credit for. Money is flowing in and out. I don't care if it is conducted by Chinese and Koreans, there is trade going down. Maybe more so than anywhere else in the outerboros.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:47 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
It kind of depends on how you're defining a CBD, but downtown Flushing is definitely one of the most active commercial and retail areas outside of the primary Manhattan hubs. I think perhaps it's the lack of major corporate headquarters, major educational or cultural institutions, and municipal agency headquarters that get it left off the list, but if it was on retail activity or pedestrian activity, downtown Flushing probably comes after only the Manhattan CBDs.

I'd disagree with the statement that Flushing is the CBD of Queens because Queens is pretty large and spread out with multiple nodes. I'd agree with it being a CBD of Queens though, or the busiest among CBDs in Queens.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:11 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
The Flushing library has got to be one of the busiest in the nation.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:31 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
I agree, Flushing is a main center in Queens. All I'm saying is that it's not the only one, it's one of three

Hell, NYC is one big f'n city. There's no one place everything revolves around

Old 01-22-2018, 10:49 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
I agree, Flushing is a main center in Queens. All I'm saying is that it's not the only one, it's one of three

Definitely the Sichuan restaurant king of NYC though. That ring of fire the day after is insane.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:52 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:

It seems like Flushing serves as the center for Asian Queens, and Jamaica as the center for black Queens

Old 01-22-2018, 11:53 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
For Queens, Flushing is the CBD. Elmhurst/Rego Park would be the commercial center. Jamaica is the municipal center. LIC is a bedroom community for Midtown Manhattan.
Jamaica was the county seat of Queens before Queens got annexed to NYC. Pre NYC annexation, Nassau and Queens were both the same county, called Queens county. After Western Queens got annexed to NYC, for awhile Eastern Queens was still Queens county with the county seat in Jamaica. But eventually Eastern Queens made a successful bid for separation.

And yes, Jamaica is clearly the municipal center. The central library is headquartered there. The social security administration and DMV are there. Along with health departments, York College. The courts are in Jamaica and Kew Gardens. Jamaica has been improving as a business district. A number of new hotels and new major stores have opened up there, and startup businesses get tax credits to operate there.

I wouldn't call Flushing the CBD for Queens. I think it is a very important business district for Queens, along with Elmhurst/Rego Park, Downtown Jamaica, and LIC. LIC is not just a bedroom community, but it has major corporate operations in the form of Uber, Steiner Studios, Kaufman Astoria Studios, Jet Blue, Citigroup, some law firms, etc.Fresh Direct was based there till they got the deal to move to the South Bronx. The city health department is headquartered there too. Some taxi and limousine companies are based there. CUNY Law School is in LIC. A number of advertising businesses are there. LIC is not a shopping district like Flushing or Elmhurst/Rego Park, but it is a now one of the city's major business district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City