Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 07:29 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,437,352 times

Advertisements

Had a question in regards to gyms in NYC.
I’m usually at the gym 5 days a week, being in my early 30s.
I mainly lift (Squat, Bench, Dead) as opposed to cardio.
Anyway, I currently go to Lifetime Fitness but they are not close by to me in the city.
I’ve got my choice of 3 gyms nearby:
-92nd St Y
-NYSC
-Equinox

I’ve been told Equinox, if I can afford it, would be the place to go.
It’s pricey ($240 a month) but there is no initiation fee.
NYSC is only $90 but it got really bad reviews.
92nd Y I heard is more for elders.

Again, what’s most important for me is that I can get the weights and machines I need, usually at 4-5 PM. As well, being from outside town, I do find the gym to be a great place to meet people with similar interests.
Equinox worth it for me or excess luxury?
I’m used to Lifetime in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 07:33 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,005,669 times
Equinox, the other two are NO competition. Great gym.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:38 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
I can't compare them for you, but the price sounds really high for the NYSC. I'm a member of the NYSC Astoria and just switched from a passport membership for which I was paying $72 and started a brand new membership a few months ago for the Astoria club only that's $39.99/mo. I did pay a fee for that one, which was maybe around $100 or $120, but I figured it would save me money in the long run.

I guess it's possible the memberships for the Manhattan clubs would be higher than the outer boroughs, but still $90 sounds high.

Isn't there any way you can do a one day trial at each club at the time you normally work out? I would imagine that's the best way to answer your own questions.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:37 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
Wowwww, Equinox has really raised prices a lot. I went and checked because that's much higher than it was when I was a member! I belonged from 2012-2014, and my single club membership was $130, and I later upgraded to All Access for $185. Do you ever see yourself going to another location? If not, save the $40 a month and get the single location. If you do plan to check out different locations, then the All Access is worth it, as they won't let you in otherwise.

As far as your choices themselves, if $$ is not an issue, Equinox is far nicer than NYSC. Can't speak to the Y. If you're on the UES (guessing based on the Y), then the 85th Street Equinox is beautiful, that was the one I worked out in.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:21 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
Move to Vegas and join Las Vegas Athletic Club.

7 locations--5 with HUGE POOLS/ sauna/wet and dry steam rooms.
All but one location is open 24 hrs a day.
3 locations are listed as being on the top 15 gyms in America based on just S I Z E .
ABSOLUTELY HUGE MASSIVE GYMS.

How much you ask?
$5.00 to sign up-- $ 22.00 A MONTH!
Twenty two bucks a month.

The smallest LVAC here is about the size of the largest gym in Manhattan.
I used to go to NYSC on Mercer--$100 a month about 8 years ago for that tiny piece of crap gym
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAA_rlKgAks

Old 01-21-2018, 12:08 AM

251 posts, read 148,347 times
Hmm. I could've sworn NYSC drastically lowered their rates over the last couple of yrs to compete with Planet Fitness. I'm with NYSC and only pay ~$30/month for a Passport membership (through my corporate discount).

Anyway, I have to say, the quality has indeed gone down since I began there 11 yrs ago. But that said, I really don't think NYSC is as horrible as some of the online reviews claim. With so many locations throughout the city, some are much better than others and some are much worse (which means you'd be better off with the Passport membership to go wherever you like). My preferred location is pretty decent, working equipment, sizeable, and kept up reasonably well.

But if you can afford Equinox's $$$$ rates, I'd say do that as Equinox is definitely a better gym.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:49 AM

220 posts, read 196,024 times
Just join blink fitness (parent compant equinox) they are pretty clean and "aspirational" i paid $280 fkr the whole year for access to any club. No other fees. Think that works out to about $23 a month.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:36 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
I have been a member of a lot of gyms in NYC. I go to the gyms in the AM. 6 am

IMO, you should do the 92Y. The website looks like they offer everything you would need to build and maintain an impressive physique. It reminds me of the West Side YMCA. They were a lot of professionals who went to the West Side Y. it was not old people.

https://www.92y.org/maycenter/gym#other

Mid City Gym
NYC Park Center
NYSC
Crunch
West Side YMCA
Chelsea Piers
UFC SoHo (CURRENT)
Blink Fitness GWB (CURRENT)

My favs gym was:

0. West Side YMCA - The gym was a block away from Central Park so if you want to do a nice outdoor run you had the best park. The gym had a massive weight room, a decent size cardio room and boxing and kickboxing rooms. You also had a LOT of member classes that were included in your rate. You had a swimming pool on the 2nd floor. (Prices = 63 - 72 - 81 - 92) I used to go to this gym after-work and you can still get a nice workout. In the AM, it was a ghost town.

Ok gyms;

1. UFC SoHo - It's a 1 floor gym. It's pretty pricey for the amount of machines and weights that they offer. 1 power rack. I only go to this gym in the AM. Not really crowded. (Price = 92.00)

2. Blink Fitness GWB - This gym is a block away from my APT. I will start going to this gym in the AM during the weekends. (Price = 15.00)

3. NYSC Mercer - The gym was a nice little gem. It had an ok amount of people. Once the NYSC on SoHo Broadway closed and those people moved in to this location. Also, once they did the ghetto pricing plan of 19.99. It was over. A lot of broken machines, too many people, etc. ( Price = 72+20 for a locker) They never charged me for the locker the guy inputting my membership was new. I went one time to this gym after-work and it was too crowded. In the AM, it had a work-able amount of people. I went to UFC Soho.

Not that Great to me:

4. Crunch = it was in the midtown area 37st Broadway. Way too crowded and way too many trainers. In the AM, the gym was packed with people and with trainers working out their clients. I left the gym to Mid City Gym. (Price = 80s)

5. Mid City Gym = 42nd st location. It had the David Barton Gym feel. Really dark with house music. The gym is pretty small. Limited cardio machine selection. (Price = 50s)

6. Chelsea Piers = Awesome gym. Very big. A lot of machines, weights, etx. The problem.. Location was in nowhere's land = West Side Highway. It was pretty expensive. (Price = 180. I did a summer promo = 3 months for 240)

7. Park Centers = Very crowded. (Price = 75 for a year or something like that)

Old 01-21-2018, 09:45 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,859,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
Had a question in regards to gyms in NYC.
I’m usually at the gym 5 days a week, being in my early 30s.
I mainly lift (Squat, Bench, Dead) as opposed to cardio.
Anyway, I currently go to Lifetime Fitness but they are not close by to me in the city.
I’ve got my choice of 3 gyms nearby:
-92nd St Y
-NYSC
-Equinox

I’ve been told Equinox, if I can afford it, would be the place to go.
It’s pricey ($240 a month) but there is no initiation fee.
NYSC is only $90 but it got really bad reviews.
92nd Y I heard is more for elders.

Again, what’s most important for me is that I can get the weights and machines I need, usually at 4-5 PM. As well, being from outside town, I do find the gym to be a great place to meet people with similar interests.
Equinox worth it for me or excess luxury?
I’m used to Lifetime in the suburbs.
Equinox, equipment top of the line, reall great trainers (though they get paid crap) however even the $240 monthly all access is not all access example, doesn’t include the one in SoHo (and a couple others) where a lot of celebrities and high net worth individuals go.

It is a great gym but I don’t think it’s worth the $240 a month.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:30 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,461,784 times
You might be able to talk Equinox down to a lower fee. It's been done. That said, Equinox is absolutely the best in terms of equipment, cleanliness, staff (very cheery) and customer service (complain about something, and you'll get a response). If there's a branch near where you're living, I would simply join that one and not bother with all-access. Warning: The classes, except for the ones that rely on equipment and are reserved in advance through the app, are extremely crowded. I would ask for a free trial at every gym you're considering--most will do that. Equinox also has a lower-priced subsidiary that you might want to look into--the name of it escapes me though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City