Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 10:32 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Didn’t want to ruin the moment by taking a pic (also just sort of rude to take pictures without permission), but I did a quick google for “nyc butt grip subway pole” and got just these obviously *not* nyc subway pics that at least illustrate the concept.

Ok this is wrong. Not only what she is doing, but how much I don't care in this particular case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 04:01 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Ok this is wrong. Not only what she is doing, but how much I don't care in this particular case.
she has a nice fit culo.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:06 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Rode the NYC subways for 30+ years of my life. I left NYC partially because of the horrendous rush hour commuting to/from Midtown Manhattan 5 days a week. Anyone who says that they actually enjoy commuting via subway is lying to themselves. It’s filthy, overcrowded and plagued with service issues.

I much prefer the 20 minute commute I now have in the privacy of my own car.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:05 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,752,106 times
Ok guys. It happened again today.

I watched the train pull up and saw, as always, there was space in the middle of the cars. Once it stopped and everyone got off, I got in with everyone else. No one moved much past the doors. As there was a ton of space toward the center I moved in. This was an A train (but it is the same on other trains)

First blockade was a ton of people crowded around the doors. “Excuse me” got them to move. Then I approached the group of people holding onto the pole. “Excuse me” They look at me like I’m crazy. “Excuse me” their eyes glare at me. “Excuse me, I’m going over there” *i point to the big space in the middle of the car*.

I hear a bunch of people sigh as they have to unclench the pole for 10 seconds as I pass by.

Then another chick is taking up space for 3 people... “Excuse me” I say as I move into her space. What do I get on this jam packed A train, a big and obvious groan and sigh and angry face. I responded with “sorry, the train is packed, you know?” She looks away.

**** you guys! Please, for the love of god, move into the car! And if you don’t want to, don’t be pissed at me for doing so. I am not going to stand by the doors holding onto the ceiling to keep steady because you don’t want to move, or let me move in.

Thank you.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:09 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times
hahahahah yup! people don't even move away from the doors anymore as the train opens up for more people, even if it's an empty car the door slugs won't budge. it's passive-aggressive and slightly sociopathic behavior. but people are all wound up these days i guess :/

Old 02-02-2018, 11:11 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times
But at the same time it's normal behavior to not want to crowd oneself in to the point of getting no air. I refuse to ride in sardine cars, i'll just wait and wait and wait for a train i can get a seat on.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:21 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,752,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
But at the same time it's normal behavior to not want to crowd oneself in to the point of getting no air. I refuse to ride in sardine cars, i'll just wait and wait and wait for a train i can get a seat on.
I do the same. If a train pulls up and people are literally pushing themselves into the car, I pass and wait.

The examples I am giving are not like that. There is space, but people won’t move in and get pissed if you try to.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:53 AM

92 posts, read 54,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
If there's room then people need to be letting you through. But if I'm in a spot I like I'm not going to bury myself in the middle of the train just for you. Just sayin'

Worst by far is the people with backpacks on their shoulders or women with huge purses that stick out. I try to shove those people around as much as humanly possible and pretend it's an accident or that nothing happened
I'd rep you but I already spread the love elsewhere today. Guys with the backpacks are the worst. No clue about how much space they're taking up.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:17 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Ok guys. It happened again today.

I watched the train pull up and saw, as always, there was space in the middle of the cars. Once it stopped and everyone got off, I got in with everyone else. No one moved much past the doors. As there was a ton of space toward the center I moved in. This was an A train (but it is the same on other trains)

First blockade was a ton of people crowded around the doors. “Excuse me” got them to move. Then I approached the group of people holding onto the pole. “Excuse me” They look at me like I’m crazy. “Excuse me” their eyes glare at me. “Excuse me, I’m going over there” *i point to the big space in the middle of the car*.

I hear a bunch of people sigh as they have to unclench the pole for 10 seconds as I pass by.

Then another chick is taking up space for 3 people... “Excuse me” I say as I move into her space. What do I get on this jam packed A train, a big and obvious groan and sigh and angry face. I responded with “sorry, the train is packed, you know?” She looks away.

**** you guys! Please, for the love of god, move into the car! And if you don’t want to, don’t be pissed at me for doing so. I am not going to stand by the doors holding onto the ceiling to keep steady because you don’t want to move, or let me move in.

Thank you.
To be honest with you, the trains are frustrating, but after years of riding, I am starting to see why this happens. Most people don't like raising their arms up to grab the pole thats above the seats.They'd rather have their arm down lower, so they hold on to the pole next to the door, or the pole in the middle of the car, without moving around.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-05-2018, 11:43 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Wherever you stand you want to avoid the pinball spot. That's the spot between the doors and the pole, especially in the middle of the car. If you get to a high traffic station like Grand Central and you're not getting off, God help you lol. People will be coming from both sides saying "excuse me" at frist but then getting pissed off at you because you're not moving (and you can't because you're letting the other side go), and then if you let that side go the other side gets pissed off, so if you watch closely you can see these poor schmucks get bounced around like a pinball machine with full of angry people no matter what they do

Nowhere to hide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: