Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 11:33 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it is supply and demand . the better day cares where the little ones actually learn and benefit are expensive . get in to the Montessori day care / schools and they are 30k . but even at 4 i find it amazing what these kids learn and can do .

our 5 year old is already doing 1st grade work in day care . no one was more negative than me on day care . my wife was home with them every day until they were school age . but today that would be a big mistake when it comes to the childs development and skills .

as well as depending on your career you may have to kiss it good bye trying to come back 5 years later . all our kids have excellent careers and have no intentions of giving them up and risk not finding anything like that years later .
Calling it a "mistake" is a stretch. There's nothing wrong with keeping a kid home up until around pre-k or so. Day care certainly has its positives but let's not get crazy. And at 5 years old, most kids are in pre-k anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 11:45 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Calling it a "mistake" is a stretch. There's nothing wrong with keeping a kid home up until around pre-k or so. Day care certainly has its positives but let's not get crazy. And at 5 years old, most kids are in pre-k anyway.
I am not sure how true it is. There was a lot of talk how language inequality would persist when the pre-k initiative came out in NYC. It was mentioned once you past early child stage, gaps in vocabulary can become a big hindrance in achieving equal educational outcome in school and life.

https://www.wnyc.org/story/narrowing-word-gap/

Universal Pre-K Won’t Solve Vocabulary Gap (Or Inequality) | TIME.com

Old 01-25-2018, 11:55 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Wow, I guess this isn’t that uncommon. I mean, the friends of mine (the parents) are thrilled with their daycare and love it, so it’s not like they’re looking for an alternative. It’s just that it seems like a really steep price.
I believe there are companies that subsidize cost and provide on-site child care center. Bright Horizons is one of the more famous day cares that works with NYC corporations.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:59 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it blows my mind the way these babies less than 1 year old can sign and communicate ..all the kids learn it today at most of the better day cares .
Babies and kids are like little sponges. Can handle multiple languages too without getting them all mixed up. Easier to pick up physical skills too like swimming.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:18 PM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
having experienced both sides , keeping them home with our kids vs day care with all the grand kids , the day care does have the edge . we are not talking preschool age either . we are talking them being in that environment from the time they are babies .

what these little ones experience and learn as young as they are is very very nice and like i said as much as i saw no point in daycare i have a totally different view experiencing both sides .

Old 01-25-2018, 08:32 PM

256 posts, read 311,381 times
$1700/month - Queens

Old 01-25-2018, 09:32 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,347 times
In northeast Queens I have a nanny and daycare. I pay about 3300 a month total. My babysitter also gets 10 holidays and about 4 weeks vacation every year fully paid so if that's factored in then it's more. Hopefully I can cut down on my babysitter's hours soon to save a few.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:57 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
Quote:
couldn't be more incorrect. Depending on the career, it can be extremely difficult to jump back into a career midstream after being away for several years.

It all depends at what age you are having those kids , and if you have a career or job. From birth to Pre K, its the time to bond with the child. All that sign language will probably be forgotten or useless in the future. This is the time , from birth to Kindergarten, for experiencing life like a new family should. This is the only time where you can wrap yourself up in cute silly stuff, and be their for every single laugh, boo boo, and hug.

Remember "meet the fochers", where grandpa was giving the kid milk through a fake breast, and the poor kid could barely say any words? I would not want my kid to be That Kid sucking on a fake nipple!

Old 01-26-2018, 02:10 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
you are talking without experiencing it .

all our grand kids kids are in days cares since they are babies . i can tell you they are no different or feel less loved than any of our own kids my wife stayed home with . to the little one's it is business as usual .

no , you don't need to spend 24/7 with the kids and bond . that assumption is not true at all. that is the talk you here from those who have no little ones actually having the experience today

Old 01-26-2018, 07:53 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
It's not permanent. Once they hit pre-k or kindergarten, the taxpayers foot the bill.

That makes it even WORSE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: