Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 08:00 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
That makes it even WORSE.
only for the non-breeders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 08:06 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
you can buy at 55 plus communities in long island where school taxes are waived if you have no children in school .

Old 01-26-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
having experienced both sides , keeping them home with our kids vs day care with all the grand kids , the day care does have the edge
Perhaps you could have done a better job engaging with your children when they were kept home? Although I would assume there are more activities available for stay-at-home moms these days compared to way back when.
Quote:
we are not talking preschool age either . we are talking them being in that environment from the time they are babies .
how much do you really think a BABY retains going forward? And are they getting THAT much more enrichment when they're 2-4 that they wouldn't get from nursery school?
Quote:
what these little ones experience and learn as young as they are is very very nice and like i said as much as i saw no point in daycare i have a totally different view experiencing both sides .
I saw it from both sides with my own children. There are positives and negatives to both options. I believe the positives to each are not that significant to the extent that one option becomes THAT much better than the other. Especially considering so many kids start nursery school before pre-k.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:14 AM

my wife was home with our kids . i am referring to our grand kids .

the 5 year old in the Montessori daycare /school is much farther advanced . to the point his parents will be keeping him in the Montessori school for kindergarten as opposed to public school which is way behind . he would be bored as well as get nothing out of it . much of what they do in kindergarten he started learning at 3.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my wife was home with our kids . i am referring to our grand kids .
I was responding to your comment about your grandchildren being better off than your own children - hence my comment about how you and your wife perhaps could have done more for your own kids at the time. Many children who are kept at home are exposed to all sorts of classes, activities, experiences etc.

Quote:
the 5 year old in the Montessori daycare /school is much farther advanced . to the point his parents will be keeping him in the Montessori school for kindergarten as opposed to public school which is way behind . he would be bored as well as get nothing out of it . much of what they do in kindergarten he started learning at 3.
more advanced compared to what? An older sibling? Others will point to kids who were kept at home who are having more success than day care kids. Hooray for anecdotal evidence!

Old 01-26-2018, 10:43 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,140 times
I always used local non-profits for childcare for my boys. They tend to be much cheaper than private centers. They also use sliding scale fee based on your income. With that being said, my childcare fee was pretty cheap until I got a new job. Depending on my income, I've paid variables from $90 a week to $305 per week. My son just started the Universal Pre-K in Sept, and I couldn't be happier for $305 per week was beginning to kill me. He is in a private after school programming and that still cost $200 per month. I gladly pay that for its wayyy cheaper than weekly childcare payments. So I am grateful for the Universal Pre-K program!!!
Summer camp often kills our pockets too, for places charge from $500 - $2000 for just 4-6 weeks of programming.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:40 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
I always used local non-profits for childcare for my boys. They tend to be much cheaper than private centers. They also use sliding scale fee based on your income. With that being said, my childcare fee was pretty cheap until I got a new job. Depending on my income, I've paid variables from $90 a week to $305 per week. My son just started the Universal Pre-K in Sept, and I couldn't be happier for $305 per week was beginning to kill me. He is in a private after school programming and that still cost $200 per month. I gladly pay that for its wayyy cheaper than weekly childcare payments. So I am grateful for the Universal Pre-K program!!!
Summer camp often kills our pockets too, for places charge from $500 - $2000 for just 4-6 weeks of programming.
Over $1200 a month? Sheesh.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-26-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I was responding to your comment about your grandchildren being better off than your own children - hence my comment about how you and your wife perhaps could have done more for your own kids at the time. Many children who are kept at home are exposed to all sorts of classes, activities, experiences etc.

more advanced compared to what? An older sibling? Others will point to kids who were kept at home who are having more success than day care kids. Hooray for anecdotal evidence!
well you have to do what you think is best for you . we found what is best for us .
the Montessori day care and schools i referred to are not just day care . they are specialized learning centers and they start very young . compared to the curriculum in the public kindergarten , these kids learned this stuff starting at 3 .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montessori_education

Old 01-26-2018, 01:55 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,113 times
hence why illegal nannies are taking care of all the white kids in park slope, brooklyn heights etc
CHEAP

Old 01-26-2018, 05:39 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
Those park slopers also aren't paying anything in employment taxes for their nannies either.

My grandparents adopted me, and only my grandmother was home during the week (my grandfather lived in south jersey on his job site in a trailer and only came home on weekends). They put me in pre school even though she didn't work at the time, but it was super cheap... in the 80s northern NJ (hudson county) and I want to say it was only 400 bux a month. She liked doing day bingo though (and night bingo lol) so basically it was a cheap baby sitting. That's how I feel about these pre-k programs in NYC. Fine, prek is good and all, but 3K? er.... for free? they want to make it free for EVERYONE? It means a ton of young single moms are gonna get their lives back after just 3 years instead of having to wait 5 til their kids are in school all day. I've been around enough ratchet families, my own included, to know how all this stuff really works. I don't think parents should get free pre-k and 3-k if they aren't working, but as of right now, they CAN. Although maybe those kids are better off in 3K than at home, I know I was better off in pre-k as a kid than if I was at home. I don't remember doing advanced coding, learning multiple foreign languages, and stuff at that age though, just nap time and cookies and milk. But everyone's baby is apparently a genius these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: