Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 01:44 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You have a reading problem. I didn't bring either into the discussion. Aquarius did.
You have a writing problem. You wrote that in the next sentence after mentioning me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Even if it is authentic, that doesn't necessarily mean it's superior. Not everyone who cooks food is a good cook, not all ingredients are good quality. I'll take less authentic food from a quality chef over poorly prepared, but "authentic" cusine. (And I don't mean poorly prepared because I don't like it. I mean poorly prepared because things have too much oil, are over cooked etc. )
True.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I think you like getting drunk, misinterpreting my posts, and causing to me to get into these long stupid arguments.

And you do know that NYC is not the only place with high numberee streets, right? Me asking that question has nothing to do with me not living in NYC. Also I think you're a hypocrite because you surely post about places you have never lived in. You're even a moderator for inferior redneck Long Island, what gives?
|1995 that's just it, no one is causing you to get into these arguments. You don't have to try to get the last word on everything, just as you don't have to get defensive if you don't know something.

For example, I lived in the Rockaways for a little less than a year. Hurricane Sandy wiped that out. Seventhfloor has much better knowledge about the Rockaways than me, not just because he lived there his whole life, he CURRENTLY lives there.

I don't argue with him about the Rockaways, because he knows what he is talking about. Ditto for certain parts of Brooklyn and Jamaica that he knows better than me.

I've similarly seen SeventhFloor ask questions about Staten Island or other parts of NYC that he knows nothing about. It's interesting for me to read Bugsy's posts on Staten Island, which he always backs up with the appropriate links from legitimate news sources.

You have neither lived nor worked in South Brooklyn, and eating in a couple of restaurants in a neighborhood doesn't mean you should be commenting on the neighborhood as if you've had hard core experience. You are barely old enough to come into the city and hang out.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:03 PM

666 posts, read 512,918 times
Quote:
So you're saying that someone is not a gentrifier just because they came in the 80s or 90s?
You're telling me Park Slope and the East Village were gentrifying in the 1980s and 90s? Obviously, you are very familiar with these areas back then, so when and how did this happen?

Quote:
And plenty of "gentrifiers" patronize these restaurants, I spend enough time in these neighborhoods to know that it's not just ethnic populations who eat there. I pulled up the data before and Williamsburg is not an immigrant enclave of any sort. It doesn't count Puerto Ricans as immigrants, though.
LOL, "pulled up data."

Old 01-29-2018, 02:03 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
|1995 that's just it, no one is causing you to get into these arguments. You don't have to try to get the last word on everything, just as you don't have to get defensive if you don't know something.

For example, I lived in the Rockaways for a little less than a year. Hurricane Sandy wiped that out. Seventhfloor has much better knowledge about the Rockaways than me, not just because he lived there his whole life, he CURRENTLY lives there.

I don't argue with him about the Rockaways, because he knows what he is talking about. Ditto for certain parts of Brooklyn and Jamaica that he knows better than me.

I've similarly seen SeventhFloor ask questions about Staten Island or other parts of NYC that he knows nothing about. It's interesting for me to read Bugsy's posts on Staten Island, which he always backs up with the appropriate links from legitimate news sources.

You have neither lived nor worked in South Brooklyn, and eating in a couple of restaurants in a neighborhood doesn't mean you should be commenting on the neighborhood as if you've had hard core experience. You are barely old enough to come into the city and hang out.
Nevermind the fact that he doesn't live in any of the five boroughs...

Old 01-29-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

The thing is, I only claimed that you can find authentic Mexican restaurants in gentrified neighborhoods, which you agreed with. I never claimed to be an expert on South Brooklyn (I do have enough experience with Kensington/Ditmas Park though, if that counts as South Brooklyn) but I do not need to be an expert to know that you can find Mexican restaurants there. But that's besides the point, anyway. My original point, nobody has been able to prove me wrong on, and you agreed with it yourself.

But you're right that there's no point of responding to every last argument point, because the more points I respond to, the greater the chance I'll write something that someone will misinterpret. I still stand by what I said, though.

I don't even argue with Seventhfloor over neighborhoods most of the time, we argue over concepts which are often not even NYC specific at all. If I tried to tell him what things in Far Rock were like, you'd have a point, but I don't do anything of that nature.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:43 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
The truth shall set you free l1995.

When you finally move here we'll be more than welcome to get you acclimated!

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-29-2018, 07:24 PM

782 posts, read 527,280 times
Quote:
I don't think you can nitpick to the point of the food not being authentic if it doesn't taste exactly the same as the best taquerias in Mexico, but if the cooks are making the food in the traditional Mexican style, then yes it can be considered authentic . I ordered Mexican food from a place in Freeport the other day on ubereats, I thought it would be authentic since it mentioned cilantro and onions, but I got the food and the flavors were way off, so I figured it might have been non-Mexican people trying to make Mexican food but missing the mark. I wouldn't have automatically considered something like that authentic just because it had cilantro and onions , and I've eaten enough Mexican food from various NYC neighborhoods, including places like Tacos El Bronco in Sunset Park with a mostly Mexican clientele. So I have a good idea of what authentic Mexican food is supposed to taste like.

I have eaten plenty of Mexican food from JH and the Mexican neighborhoods of Brooklyn. Maybe even in Corona the tacos won't taste exactly the same as in Mexico City, but I thought we established that "authentic" means in the style of a given country rather than the Americanized version, a la American Chinese or American Italian food versus authentic Chinese or Italian.

I never implied that you can find as much Mexican food in Lower Manhattan as you would in a Mexican heavy neighborhood, I just said that you can find authentic Mexican restaurants in Lower Manhattan and Williamsburg, which is true. I'm not sure why you think I'm implying that the Lower Manhattan is exactly like Corona in the abundance of real Mexican food.

Tex-Mex is very commonly thrown around as a term to mean to Americanized Mexican food, so forgive me if I misused it. I should simply use "Americanized Mexican" to refer to such places.

I used East Flatbush as an example because it's neither gentrified, nor has a sizable Mexican population. I'm not sure which neighborhood you would rather me compare to Williamsburg, so if you tell me which one I can do some research on that particular neighborhood. I would not be surprised if you could find authentic Mexican food in most yuppie Brooklyn neighborhoods, though. And there are Mexican people in many South Brooklyn neighborhoods these days, so in those neighborhoods you can probably find Mexican food as well.

I actually have looked at the statistics for immigration numbers throughout NYC neighborhoods, and Mexicans do not make even make the top 10 for East Flatbush. Williamsburg wasn't even featured on the report, which I guess means that it doesn't have enough immigrants from any country to be featured.

There's also a map that checkmatechamp showed me which shows the most common Hispanic ethnicity by census tract, but only for neighborhoods with over 20% Latino population.

I could say the same to you, have you eaten in every single Mexican restaurant in NYC to know that I'm completely wrong?

Also, I'm pretty sure I never said all of Baldwin was like Long Island, it's quite dissimilar to most of Long Island except for certain Western Nassau neighborhoods.

I think you often pretend I'm trying to make a different point from what I'm actually making. And I don't think you need to intense research to know whether or not you can find a type of food in a given neighborhood, life experience is enough for that.

I never claimed to have any knowledge on Mexican-Black relations in LA, so I don't think that's what he's talking about. I guess I made an off topic post which is something different. It wasn't because I simply wanted to contribute to a thread with a topic I don't know about, it's because I saw something in the thread that I wanted to respond to for whatever reason.
I really have no idea what you're trying to argue anymore. You seem to contradict yourself quite a bit.

You're suggesting now that you never said gentrified neighborhoods have more authentic places than in immigrant areas. But isn't that what you were saying initially?

When you rambled on and on about foodies and hipsters and how there were more authentic Mexican restaurants in gentrified neighborhoods than in non-gentrified neighborhoods. And you know they're authentic because you've eaten at a couple of places here and there and because you looked it up on Yelp.

But then now you say that you ordered Mexican somewhere that looked authentic but realized once you had the food that the flavors were off. How do you know the flavors wouldn't be off on the places that you haven't tried?

And you also say that we can't nitpick on authenticity if the food was made in the "traditional Mexican style"? What does that mean? Is that something you just know too?

And you mention Italian American and Chinese American food as non-authentic cuisines but you don't seem to consider that Mexican food may have local adaptations as well. Like pretty much all the things I mentioned earlier. You do realize there aren't separate categories for the "Americanized" cuisines on Yelp, right? It's all Italian or all Chinese or all Mexican.

So what are you trying to argue exactly? Let's be clear. I wouldn't want to be "pretending" your points.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:31 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
real or NON real New Yorkers, people sure do get their panties (and pantaloons) in a twist about their fast food in this city!

Old 01-29-2018, 07:32 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
*ducks for cover*... best donuts!? AHHH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City