Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2018, 04:32 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Its on Nostrand near the Junction. Huge hub for Brooklyn. The other Chipotle in the area is actually in Kings Plaza itself. You could have looked up the Chipotle locations in Brooklyn before you posted this, you know.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...3!4d-73.936505

Starbucks at Flatbush Ave and Avenue L, I wasn't kidding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 04:35 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...3!4d-73.936505

Starbucks at Flatbush Ave and Avenue L, I wasn't kidding
https://www.chipotle.com/locations/#...210&radius=250

Chipotle has it on their website as 2166 Nostrand Avenue, you were reaching with the Flatlands business, that's why I looked it up

I blame myself though, I should not have responded to something that frivolous anyway

I cant wait until you become an NYC resident

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-28-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
https://www.chipotle.com/locations/#...210&radius=250

Chipotle has it on their website as 2166 Nostrand Avenue, you were reaching with the Flatlands business, that's why I looked it up

I blame myself though, I should not have responded to something that frivolous anyway

I cant wait until you become an NYC resident
What's wrong with the Flatlands example? Starbucks is a comparable business to Chipotle and it was already brought up in this thread.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:43 PM

782 posts, read 527,368 times
Quote:
All I'm saying is that there's plenty of demand for authentic ethnic cuisine in gentrified neighborhoods. But you're way more likely to find authentic ethnic cuisine in gentrified neighborhoods than neighborhoods that are neither gentrified/middle class or higher than in neighborhoods that are not gentrified or ethnic enclaves for a given ethnicity. You can find many say, Mexican restaurants in Williamsburg but probably none in East Flatbush or Springfield Gardens.
No, many of the Mexican restaurants throughout the city are really not that authentic. Some are more like California-Mexican, some are Tex-Mex, some are more modern takes on Mexican (where the chefs may or may not be Mexican), some are "authentic" but the dishes/flavors have been adapted to meet the tastes of locals. This isn't to suggest that all these places are bad, just different. I've eaten at many.

The more authentic Mexican food is typically found in areas with larger Mexican populations. Such as East Harlem, Jackson Heights/Corona, Sunset Park, etc. In Manhattan, my authentic Mexican eating experiences have been from the occasional food truck or cart or in the back of random delis/bodegas that I read about somewhere.

What is the Mexican population in Williamsburg vs. East Flatbush and Springfield Gardens? Also, how many restaurants are there overall in these neighborhoods?

Old 01-28-2018, 04:46 PM

782 posts, read 527,368 times
Quote:
There are several authentic Mexican restaurants in the East Village and Williamsburg and neither of these are Mexican enclaves. Even yuppie ass Park Slope has some. Of course I'm not implying that you would find as many as you would in Corona.

Also, I think that the introduction of nicely decorarated, sit down Mexican restaurants in neighborboods like Mott Haven is a sign of the early stages of gentrification.
The key to your post here is "nicely decorated, sit down". That's a potential indicator of gentrification. Not whether or not the food is authentic.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
What's wrong with the Flatlands example? Starbucks is a comparable business to Chipotle and it was already brought up in this thread.
Dude, there is no Chipotle in Flatlands.

One in Marine Park in Kings Plaza Mall, and the other is border of Flatbush/Midwood

What makes it frustrating to have dialogue with you is that you have limited knowledge of NYC, and you continue to prove it with these little inconsistencies.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:51 PM

MC305, for your last 2 posts:

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MC305 again."

Old 01-28-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
No, many of the Mexican restaurants throughout the city are really not that authentic. Some are more like California-Mexican, some are Tex-Mex, some are more modern takes on Mexican (where the chefs may or may not be Mexican), some are "authentic" but the dishes/flavors have been adapted to meet the tastes of locals. This isn't to suggest that all these places are bad, just different. I've eaten at many.

The more authentic Mexican food is typically found in areas with larger Mexican populations. Such as East Harlem, Jackson Heights/Corona, Sunset Park, etc. In Manhattan, my authentic Mexican eating experiences have been from the occasional food truck or cart or in the back of random Mexican delis/bodegas that I read about somewhere.

What is the Mexican population in Williamsburg vs. East Flatbush and Springfield Gardens? Also, how many restaurants are there overall in these neighborhoods?
I'm not talking about Tex Mex places. While I'm not a Mexican food expert, I can tell pretty easily if something is "off". Like the presence of toppings besides cilantro/onion/radish.

Have you ever been to Los Mariscos 1 in the Chelsea Market? Seems pretty damn authentic to me, and really delicious. I went to a couple of Mexican restaurants in the East Village, from one I got a Torta Milanesa and the other I got a couple of tacos. The latter even had tacos de cabeza, which is not something you're gonna find at an Americanized place most likely.

But most Mexican restaurants do sell things that could be considered Tex-Mex, like giant burritos, in addition to their authentic fare. I see this even in heavily Mexican neighborhoods like Jackson Heights, Corona, Mott Haven, etc. They may as well sell burritos if people are willing to pay them, whether it be random gringos or simply Mexican people who happen to like burritos.

Neither Williamsburg or East Flatbush/SG have big Mexican populations. I work in SG and there is nothing anywhere near my job unfortunately, the only thing we have is a freakin Yummy Taco (Tex-Mex made by Chinese people).

Old 01-28-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Dude, there is no Chipotle in Flatlands.

One in Marine Park in Kings Plaza Mall, and the other is border of Flatbush/Midwood

What makes it frustrating to have dialogue with you is that you have limited knowledge of NYC, and you continue to prove it with these little inconsistencies.
What the hell are you talking about? I never said Flatlands had a Chipotle, I explicity said that Flatlands had a Starbucks, which is in the same tier of businesses as Chipotle.

Also I'm not sure why you keep insinuating that I don't know what I'm talking about because I'm from Long Island. I know a lot of people from Brooklyn and Queens with limited knowledge of the city besides their own neighborhood. I know a guy from Far Rock and he doesn't even know much about Queens in general, he spends all his time in Far Rock or Five Towns. My grandma has lived in Kensington for like 40 years and hasn't left the neighborhood much.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about? I never said Flatlands had a Chipotle, I explicity said that Flatlands had a Starbucks, which is in the same tier of businesses as Chipotle.

Also I'm not sure why you keep insinuating that I don't know what I'm talking about because I'm from Long Island. I know a lot of people from Brooklyn and Queens with limited knowledge of the city besides their own neighborhood. I know a guy from Far Rock and he doesn't even know much about Queens in general, he spends all his time in Far Rock or Five Towns. My grandma has lived in Kensington for like 40 years and hasn't left the neighborhood much.
I did read wrong, but why bring up Starbucks then? They sell coffee, not Mexican food.

The thread's about Chipotle, no?

You dont know much about NYC, nothing wrong with that, that's why you're here, to learn off of us. U certainly ask enough questions.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City