Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 05:25 PM

19 posts, read 55,773 times

Advertisements

I'm 27 and still live at home on Staten Island. For whatever reason, I couldn't find a job somewhat related to my major in college. Top it off it took me 5yrs for my 4yr degree. lol. I went from one dead end job to job but left my last one because my manager was harassing me. (I said I was going to report him for using spoiled food.)

I look back and I think about my life living on Staten Island, and I hate every moment of it. It's weird, but I never fitted in. It's like the majority of the people I meet are straight out racist to me or want absolutely nothing to do with me. So many angry people. Each block is one empty block after another, it always creeps me out. You know how odd it is to walk around an entire neighborhood, and not see a soul? I tell people i think it's odd and they say it's peaceful?

I usually drive to Great Kills Park and walk my dog by the water. I think it's extremely odd to see people that refuse to get out of their car. I mean, people just look out to the water and not come out of the car to even stretch. I tried talking to someone who was sitting in their car reading the same book as me. (I wasn't reading it at the moment.) I think I ruined his day by trying to talk to him.

Most people do not understand what I'm trying to say. The people I meet at work from my last job were the most flakely people I've meet. Same with my last job. My last job was even weirder, suppositly some guy I never even saw in person from a different department wants to beat my ass?

Anyway, I made a few friends and they agree with me completely and told me they want to leave and never come back. But

It;s weird being the only "minority" in the neighborhood, I mean it's 2013 and I still have to deal with random strangers screaming **** at me.

I'm trying to meet people on Staten island, and I'm failing horrendeously. And dating? I dunno, I think people are still uncomfortable with interracial dating. This girl's mom said I should date more of my own kind. lol. No joke.

Where can I go to meet people on this isalnd? And no I'm not going to Eve Ultra Lounge. I had a very bad experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 05:34 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
This festival is coming up. It looks pretty good. Staten Island Arts » LUMEN It looks like they might be accepting volunteers.

You could also try to find some meetup groups or start one of your own, maybe a book club? Why Leave Staten Island (Staten Island, NY) - Meetup

Old 05-20-2013, 08:37 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,525 times
You should just leave Staten Island. Go to Philadelphia or Providence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingvendetta View Post
I'm 27 and still live at home on Staten Island. For whatever reason, I couldn't find a job somewhat related to my major in college. Top it off it took me 5yrs for my 4yr degree. lol. I went from one dead end job to job but left my last one because my manager was harassing me. (I said I was going to report him for using spoiled food.)

I look back and I think about my life living on Staten Island, and I hate every moment of it. It's weird, but I never fitted in. It's like the majority of the people I meet are straight out racist to me or want absolutely nothing to do with me. So many angry people. Each block is one empty block after another, it always creeps me out. You know how odd it is to walk around an entire neighborhood, and not see a soul? I tell people i think it's odd and they say it's peaceful?

I usually drive to Great Kills Park and walk my dog by the water. I think it's extremely odd to see people that refuse to get out of their car. I mean, people just look out to the water and not come out of the car to even stretch. I tried talking to someone who was sitting in their car reading the same book as me. (I wasn't reading it at the moment.) I think I ruined his day by trying to talk to him.

Most people do not understand what I'm trying to say. The people I meet at work from my last job were the most flakely people I've meet. Same with my last job. My last job was even weirder, suppositly some guy I never even saw in person from a different department wants to beat my ass?

Anyway, I made a few friends and they agree with me completely and told me they want to leave and never come back. But

It;s weird being the only "minority" in the neighborhood, I mean it's 2013 and I still have to deal with random strangers screaming **** at me.

I'm trying to meet people on Staten island, and I'm failing horrendeously. And dating? I dunno, I think people are still uncomfortable with interracial dating. This girl's mom said I should date more of my own kind. lol. No joke.

Where can I go to meet people on this isalnd? And no I'm not going to Eve Ultra Lounge. I had a very bad experience.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:46 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
I wouldn't live on SI if I were a minority.

Meaning, I wouldn't live on SI if I weren't Italian-American.

... hell, I'm Italian-American, and I wouldn't live on SI.

Consider other places. The grass is greener.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:51 PM

93 posts, read 154,059 times
@OP,

Why bother living in a place that you're the only minority? You'll never fit it. Regard to dating, it's correct that you should date somone your own kind/race/ethnicity; it's much easier from every standpoint. Why waste so much time and effort trying to find a date who is not part of your ethnic/racial background; it's not worth it.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:10 PM

13 posts, read 28,867 times
I've been a New Yorker my whole life and I've only been to Staten Island twice. Granted I went both times as a young boy, but I don't remember anything special about it. We just use to call it the "dump" when I was in elementary school.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:44 PM

Saying I'll never fit in makes me feel like more of an outsider.

Parents came here due to housing, it was cheaper. I use to live between Astoria and Jackson Heights in Queens, NY when I was one. But I think having a car and and all those time the basement flooded, I do not think it was a good deal living in Staten Island.

Btw, I live in the Deep South Shore of Staten Island. As for dating within my own race, I think that is wrong. I mean, I would like to but I think it's wrong to say I should only date a woman of this ethnicity. It's like people saying they only date so and so because they think someone is gonna contaminate their gene pool. My parents raised me to be open minded and have told me they will not mind if my girlfriend was black, white, Latina, or even men. They said they will accept anyone I loved. They didn't really raised me to be very strict. I think they realized I had depression like symptoms and let me be. They knew I hated living here but they said I should just adjust. lol.

And..... there are no asian women that I've seen on staten island. I think their was 3 Asian women in the entire HS and I was not in any of their classes. There's that girl at the mall I tried talking to but she wasn't interested.

I didn't grow up with anybody else that was Asian. It's actually a little wierd for me to try and relate to asian women because they were raised slightly more traditional than me. You would think it's easier but it's actually harder. I guess you can say I'm in between races and not belonging to anyone of them. I never went to chinese school and know very little chinese and can only write my name. Chinese people do not consider me to be really chinese. lol.

Regardless this is 2013, why is skin color this big of a deal? It's frustrating.

My first almost girlfriend was Italian. Her mother did not approve at ALL. Ironically, SHE asked me out. We used to be good friends before everything went to hell.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:47 PM

That giant hill that is going to be a park use to house waste. They closed it after 9/11/01. It doesn't look like garbage from afar, soil and grass grew on top of the waste. So, it looks like a huge hill. There is nothing special about it. Lots of racism and very quite streets.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:59 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingvendetta View Post

Or you could take public transportation, GO out in Manhattan, where many people leave their parents back wherever. You may not be able to afford your own place, but you can go places and clubs in Manhattan that are diverse and just prepare yourself socially for the day when you are able to leave Staten Island.

Who knows, if you go out more in other places, you maybe able to find deals like roommates in other parts of the city, better jobs, etc.

And don't even give a crap about what some girl's mom said. Whatever. It may have been hurtful, but in the scheme of things, there are other WOMEN (whose mothers don't control who they date) out there for you to talk to.

Perhaps you need to come to Manhattan to meet WOMEN who can have social lives independent of their mothers.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:08 PM

I feel weird going to clubs and lounges and bars alone. What would be the best place I can just slip in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City