Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 08:00 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times

Advertisements

I'm a lifer. I think. As long as I continue to {not:edit) learn how to drive a car. We got potter's fields out here no? My mom died on the streets of this city in 2009 and they buried her somewhere out on Long Island! (!) Where do they bury people with no family and assets who croak in NYC proper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 08:01 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
(2006, not 2009, not that it makes a difference, but she was one of those terrible methadone clinic people who came into the city just for that).

Old 01-29-2018, 08:20 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
I wish I was still there, too, and I've been gone for 10 months. Getting work - and work I couldn't have gotten in NYC, helped me feel better. Other than that, this place is too rural. Some days I would so rather take a bus than drive an hour to work, but there's NO bus that stops in my town. There's no walking. I can do little walks, but no such thing as 5 miles in a day just doing errands and having a dr's appointment. There's no stairs, no cardio going up and down the subway and walking to/from the bus. It's very rural here, and one of the last places in this state that is, so I'm kind of glad to be here and see it before it's gone, but I would love just to sit on the bus and hear that polyglot of languages wash over me. Even some stupid English-speakers yelling at their SO on the phone.

And the food. I can't even talk about how much I miss the food. Ethnic restaurants and fresh whole fish. Whole Paycheck and Trader Joe's. Crazy Asian fruits. Street food.

The truth, though, is that I don't think I could go back to a $2k one bedroom with no outdoors, noisy neighbors, and a rush hour commute, bus and trains, plural. So I need to win the lottery and come back to live in a house or I'm probably not coming back. But I'll be a NYer until the day I die, no matter where I am at the time. I made the H promise not to bury me here.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:21 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Soon it'll be 10 years since this native left NYC, and I still miss it. I have a lot of friends and family back in NY, so we pack up the kids and visit pretty often (six times last year). When we retire, the plan is to spend half the year in California, and half the year in NYC.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:41 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Soon it'll be 10 years since this native left NYC, and I still miss it. I have a lot of friends and family back in NY, so we pack up the kids and visit pretty often (six times last year). When we retire, the plan is to spend half the year in California, and half the year in NYC.
That's a good plan if you have the means. Get the best of both worlds.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:59 PM

9 posts, read 9,208 times
I'm thrilled to have found this thread. I left NYC just under a year ago, and I'm definitely far from "over it" (and I'm just outside of LA which I can't seem to find the joy everyone talks about here). I've traveled back to NY four times since leaving, and it all comes rushing back as soon as I land at JFK.

In some ways, I feel like I've "conquered" NY (though I'm native), and going back to my favorite neighborhoods and restaurants often gives me the sense like, "Okay, I've done this, I need to conquer something else now." Like you, I don't know if it'll ever get out of my system, but I know 10 months wasn't enough for me. I also have a family who simply hate NYC, and love to comment how much more space there is in LA or how much better weather is.

Just nice to know there are others who are feeling the same. Sometimes it's hard for me to think that anyone would ever want to be anywhere but NYC.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 505 times
That Trash smell is hard to beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZbadhabitZ View Post
I'm thrilled to have found this thread. I left NYC just under a year ago, and I'm definitely far from "over it" (and I'm just outside of LA which I can't seem to find the joy everyone talks about here). I've traveled back to NY four times since leaving, and it all comes rushing back as soon as I land at JFK.

In some ways, I feel like I've "conquered" NY (though I'm native), and going back to my favorite neighborhoods and restaurants often gives me the sense like, "Okay, I've done this, I need to conquer something else now." Like you, I don't know if it'll ever get out of my system, but I know 10 months wasn't enough for me. I also have a family who simply hate NYC, and love to comment how much more space there is in LA or how much better weather is.

Just nice to know there are others who are feeling the same. Sometimes it's hard for me to think that anyone would ever want to be anywhere but NYC.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:40 PM

606 posts, read 419,615 times
I actually just left NYC for Seattle. It's been 2 and a half days. Actually the last few weeks I was pretty much over nyc and their income tax. While I am still getting situated here I do not yearn to return there. I am open to visiting. Living...as long as it continues to be insane to rent in nuc I will not be returning to live. Not even go to nearby Jersey or Philly.

Sure Seattle is pricey. But I've managed to save several hundred a month on my middle class salary in nyc. The job I'm waiting for a background check on actually will oay me more than what I was getting paid in nyc. I find that the expenses are pretty much the same. The only difference will be lack of income tax and thus more money. I also will not miss having to slave away for a living (nurse here) and making those super long commutes on the ever crumbling MTA system.

Seattle is very pretty. The weather is not bad. Everything us also very close together. And typically real estate offers more space compared to a similarly sized place in nyc. Sure it's a slow going here in Seattle but I would actually not be happy to return back to nyc. I was drained all the time. My quality of sleep and stress levels have dramatically improved in the 2 days I've been here. I'll definitely let these forums know everything in detail a month from now.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:23 PM

109 posts, read 95,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
I actually just left NYC for Seattle. It's been 2 and a half days. Actually the last few weeks I was pretty much over nyc and their income tax. While I am still getting situated here I do not yearn to return there. I am open to visiting. Living...as long as it continues to be insane to rent in nuc I will not be returning to live. Not even go to nearby Jersey or Philly.

Sure Seattle is pricey. But I've managed to save several hundred a month on my middle class salary in nyc. The job I'm waiting for a background check on actually will oay me more than what I was getting paid in nyc. I find that the expenses are pretty much the same. The only difference will be lack of income tax and thus more money. I also will not miss having to slave away for a living (nurse here) and making those super long commutes on the ever crumbling MTA system.

Seattle is very pretty. The weather is not bad. Everything us also very close together. And typically real estate offers more space compared to a similarly sized place in nyc. Sure it's a slow going here in Seattle but I would actually not be happy to return back to nyc. I was drained all the time. My quality of sleep and stress levels have dramatically improved in the 2 days I've been here. I'll definitely let these forums know everything in detail a month from now.
How noisy is it in Seattle? In NYC I hear dogs barking and honking at 2am. I’d be happy to not have to listen to that.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:33 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco2 View Post
Hello everyone, i've moved to Orlando just 2 weeks ago and i honestly am home sick. I miss NYC a lot.

Orlando is a nice place, and i hope to be here due to the new job i have but it is NOTHING like NYC.

One of the best things in NYC that i do not see here in Orlando is diversity. By diversity, i don't just mean people of different races because Orlando, LA, Chicago, and all the top cities have an above average % of diversity; what i mean is that in NYC you can really experience pieces of your friends home (as in country) and get to see a great part of their culture and vise versa.

You can hear more than 50 different dialects daily at any street with in the 5 boroughs, and there are neighborhoods that have a strong demographic of a specific ethnicity (Canal or South Flushing - chinese, North Flushing or K-town - korean, 74 Roosevelt -Indian, Elmhurst - Hispanic, Woodside- Filipino, etc...)

Other than diversity, there are hundreds of events everyday...... there is just too much stuff i can type.

Man, i miss NYC!

I want to ask those who moved out from NYC (jersey doesn't count) on how long it took for them to adjust to a different city?

I still haven't gotten over NY. It's always on my mind. I feel I'm stuck but not giving up on the hope of moving back. I miss the people the most. People who look like me are the norm there versus Atlanta where they think it's okay to call me exotic and/or tell me I have an international look. I also miss the transport and food. The vibe is also something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City