U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2018, 11:56 AM

25,539 posts, read 21,068,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The Feds did a good job on not raising interest rates. Why? The economy is still on shaky ground and we are only a decade out of the crash of 2008. Even though jobs have grown, and people are working again, wages are still down, for many Americans. Economic recovery takes time. I'm also waiting for the crash so I can reinvest in the economy. The stock market is too high to invest at the moment for many. When the crash happened a decade ago, NYC real estate weathered the storm and prices only dropped minimally and prices shot right back up a year or two later. While most of America real estate prices were down. Places like Vegas can get a home in a mid range neighborhood for 100k, while in Detroit and Milwaukee homes were going for 30k to 60k.
Detroit and Milwaukee were essentially dead places no one wanted to move to.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 12:45 PM

16,217 posts, read 21,057,326 times
Stock market just fell by 500 points.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:01 PM

12,764 posts, read 10,891,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You ever been to London? I've been twice. Don't worry about me, I will find my way.
London have housing crisis, Brexit, problems with immigration, some Britishs might come off as reserved

Old 02-02-2018, 04:41 PM

1,721 posts, read 998,286 times
Quote:
Yeah, I’m waiting can’t afford a renovated three family even in east New York right now. Can’t believe they want over a million dollars. Was looking into the Bronx but don’t want to deal with section 8 tenants.

And I don’t think the tax reform will do anything for the economy when everything continues to go up in price as well (healthcare, housing, college education etc).

Old 02-02-2018, 04:42 PM

92,513 posts, read 90,110,842 times
Quote:
almost 700 . but since the election i think we are up about 6000 or 7000 . .

Old 02-02-2018, 07:49 PM

3,327 posts, read 3,951,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Perhaps your hearing aids aren't working well?
NYC housing isn't in a bubble. Maybe the top end is ($10MM+) but as for the rest, there's simply a HUGE supply-demand imbalance. Unless you believe that this will be corrected anytime soon, there's no way that NYC housing prices will crash. During the 2008 financial crisis, most "average joe" NYC real estate took a 10-15% dip. That's it.

As for buying put options. How are you going to go about that when most major developers in NYC are privately owned. Unless you're an important client of an investment bank and they're willing to write custom CDS for you. I'm guessing that you're not?

You just talk out of your ass.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:57 AM

92,513 posts, read 90,110,842 times
we sold two central park co-ops in 2008 -2009 .

they went for 10% or so below the highs at that time .

what was tough was banks were reneging at closing and saying sorry ,we have no money to loan .

that happened 2x , once with each co-op . closing took about 3 or 4 months ... but prices wre not down much

Old 02-03-2018, 10:07 AM

25,539 posts, read 21,068,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
NYC housing isn't in a bubble. Maybe the top end is ($10MM+) but as for the rest, there's simply a HUGE supply-demand imbalance. Unless you believe that this will be corrected anytime soon, there's no way that NYC housing prices will crash. During the 2008 financial crisis, most "average joe" NYC real estate took a 10-15% dip. That's it.

As for buying put options. How are you going to go about that when most major developers in NYC are privately owned. Unless you're an important client of an investment bank and they're willing to write custom CDS for you. I'm guessing that you're not?

You just talk out of your ass.
Institutional investors took advantage of the 2008 crisis. Columbia expanded more aggressively, as did NYU. The 2008 crisis ultimately made a lot of foreclosed properties available in Williamsburg, LIC, Harlem etc available to developers.

So any price dip NYC might have in the next few years will just be exploited by those who have money. It's not becoming cheap as Kefir fantasizes, due to the supply-demand imbalance you mention.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:49 PM

10,780 posts, read 10,030,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
As for buying put options. How are you going to go about that when most major developers in NYC are privately owned.
Short the lenders and/or the debt they produce. Also building materials. Maybe even the Mexican peso.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:38 PM

3,327 posts, read 3,951,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Short the lenders and/or the debt they produce. Also building materials. Maybe even the Mexican peso.
He mentioned NYC specifically. How would you know what proportion of loans a particular lender has in NYC? Some lenders are known for being concentrated in particular regions but you'd never know the quality of a region specific loan book until it's too late.

As for building materials and the Mexican peso. For an NYC specific downturn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: