Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 03:47 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,005,669 times

Advertisements

Please provide recommendations for reputable moving companies for New York to Florida. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 12:42 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,173,625 times
I'd stick with the large nationwide movers like United, North American, Allied, Mayflower, Atlas, Bekins, Graebel, Wheaton, etc. Some local movers may promise you a cheap move, then either abscond with your goods or show up and demand a huge sum to unload. Remember that interstate moving rates are competitive. Get bids from all of the movers.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:49 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
I don't have any but I agree 100% with above. I got tricked by one of these scam companies one time. It was horrible. Actually they didn't complete their scam because the moving guys were so horrible (yelling at me, etc.) before they even got any items on their truck that I fired them on the spot. They weren't expecting that -- I guess most people have to be out of their residence on a certain date, and I didn't. I ended up staying an extra week to figure something else out.

I recommend checking any moving company against this site before using them. About MovingScam.com

Old 02-03-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
I'd stick with the large nationwide movers like United, North American, Allied, Mayflower, Atlas, Bekins, Graebel, Wheaton, etc. Some local movers may promise you a cheap move, then either abscond with your goods or show up and demand a huge sum to unload. Remember that interstate moving rates are competitive. Get bids from all of the movers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I don't have any but I agree 100% with above. I got tricked by one of these scam companies one time. It was horrible. Actually they didn't complete their scam because the moving guys were so horrible (yelling at me, etc.) before they even got any items on their truck that I fired them on the spot. They weren't expecting that -- I guess most people have to be out of their residence on a certain date, and I didn't. I ended up staying an extra week to figure something else out.

I recommend checking any moving company against this site before using them. About MovingScam.com
Thank you very much, I will continue doing my research.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:01 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,235 times
Quote:

+1

This is a very good website. I learned so much from it.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
+1

This is a very good website. I learned so much from it.
This scam move I almost had was a long time ago -- but some of the details are coming back to me. I do remember now I had paid them a deposit, and I think that's why they were shocked when I yelled at them to leave and not come back. They were behaving like animals.

I remember as they were first ascending the stairs to my apartment where my belongings were located, they were just saying out loud -- one flight of stairs, you know that's extra money (meanwhile, I had told the person I had done the estimate with that there were stairs). Then when they started to yell at me about something (maybe the stairs/money issue, I can't recall), that's when things escalated. I remember going into a back hallway and calling a friend, and he's the one who told me "GET THEM OUT OF YOUR HOUSE" so I did! In a hurry! Thank goodness.

I had a pretty hard time getting my deposit back but I did get it eventually. I think I threatened all sorts of legal action against them, and also did some pretty creative research to figure out what kind of shell company they were hiding behind, because of course a lot of their documents were fake. One sheet of paper they left in my apartment had enough details, like a phone number I didn't recognize from my initial estimate, that I was able to do a bit of sleuthing and get some results.

Even if I hadn't gotten the deposit back, I would have been ok with it. I'm so lucky my belongings did not get put on that truck and I didn't have to deal with that human filth again.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:44 PM

I'm not seeing any recent reviews for the NYC section.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:48 PM

Maybe check the General Moving Issues forum here on C-D. //www.city-data.com/forum/general-moving-issues/

Old 02-04-2018, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Maybe check the General Moving Issues forum here on C-D. //www.city-data.com/forum/general-moving-issues/
Thanks again.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:06 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,920,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Please provide recommendations for reputable moving companies for New York to Florida. Thanks.
Stay in New York I want to go Florida for weekend gateway away from you New Yorkers

Last edited by BPt111; 02-05-2018 at 06:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: