Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 08:57 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,862,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Yeah. Having been to Asia, spitting is just a casual thing to do. I don't think I've ever heard of someone ever complain either. One just has to go into Chinatown, Flushing, Sunset Park, etc. to see how normal it is in the culture.

I think the bigger thing is that people generally don't use soap when they wash their hands. All they do is rinse. I try not to perpetuate that haha.
Can't wrap my head around the not washing your hands with soap either. I had a coworker who was known for this. She once offered me grapes, my reaction was hell no, you don't wash your hands" her response, "that's fine, I know where my hands have been" my internal response was yeah but I don't, bish you're nasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 10:16 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover89 View Post
So the past few days I have noticed people spitting on the opposite side of me or spitting violently when I walk by. Now where I come from (Detroit) that will get you murdered on the spot but I am wondering if that is a common occurrence here or something I need to be on guard about because I am LGBT and hate crimes are totally an issue. I live in Clinton Hill/Fort Greene. I have lived in Bushwick and the village before. Never experienced anything like that there.
You might want to be careful since you are LGBT. It might be a macho thing the whole spitting near you or opposite you, etc. The spitter might be trying to prove their macho status against you. It's a very childish thing but dudes need to reaffirm that they are straight and tough.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:21 AM

954 posts, read 939,392 times
Pretty much one of the most low class disgusting things you can do.

I hate when people spit onto the subway tracks, like that’s ok.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:29 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
I don't see it very often.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:11 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
If you just noticed it a few days ago, why would you assume it is a thing?

It is cold and flu season. People are hocking up some nasty stuff. I agree it is nasty, and if people must spit, they should at least try to be discreet about it, but you can't exactly go into the woods a few yards off trail, you are in Brooklyn, so dealing with strange humans, up close, is part of life.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:13 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
I've seen this too, SOO disgusting. Low class to the extreme, even for this place.

I was waiting at a bus stop years ago with my boyfriend and some guy just kept spitting, it was so nasty and I just wanted to kick him. who raised these people??

Old 02-07-2018, 11:21 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
Agreed. It's beyond disgusting, I think it's just as bad as coughing and not covering your mouth.
It's gross. I see it all the time too. The snot rocket launchers are even worse.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:13 PM

181 posts, read 206,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
You might want to be careful since you are LGBT. It might be a macho thing the whole spitting near you or opposite you, etc. The spitter might be trying to prove their macho status against you. It's a very childish thing but dudes need to reaffirm that they are straight and tough.
Right. Spitting around someone or in the opposite direction can be a big "I don't like you" signal and precursor to an attack is what I was thinking.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:53 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
Consider yourself lucky to not experience the european handkerchief.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:05 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Consider yourself lucky to not experience the european handkerchief.
I looked it up and found fine handkerchiefs for sale. I don't think this is what you meant, and I'm afraid to find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City