Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 05:44 PM

33,381 posts, read 46,784,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
All the 114 neighborhoods west of the Van Wyck really don't go by Jamaica as much as those on the east side of it. For example, no one in Woodhaven or Ozone Park would ever say they live in Jamaica like someone in Jamaica Hills or Rochdale would.
You're right, the broad term of "Jamaica" would really only apply to the black neighborhoods, and certain parts north of Jamaica Avenue going up to Hillside Avenue. I can't even explain it that well cause it's a Queens thing. But I know you understand what I mean G-Dale. And only people who don't live in "Jamaica" paint it with a broad brush like that. It's not even something I suggest l1995 familiarize himself with. He should just move here, there's some things that almighty C-D actually can't teach.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 07:11 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,380,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You're right, the broad term of "Jamaica" would really only apply to the black neighborhoods, and certain parts north of Jamaica Avenue going up to Hillside Avenue. I can't even explain it that well cause it's a Queens thing. But I know you understand what I mean G-Dale. And only people who don't live in "Jamaica" paint it with a broad brush like that. It's not even something I suggest l1995 familiarize himself with. He should just move here, there's some things that almighty C-D actually can't teach.
I actually do get what he's saying. And from what he's saying, it also applies to certain neighborhoods North of Hillside as well.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I actually do get what he's saying. And from what he's saying, it also applies to certain neighborhoods North of Hillside as well.
If you really got what he was saying you would have never started this thread.

First post:

Quote:
I get confused by discussions of Jamaica, Queens sometimes because I'm not sure of what people mean exactly, since there are a lot of neighborhoods in that area that seem to be lumped in with each other, and these neighborhoods vary a lot.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
If you really got what he was saying you would have never started this thread.

First post:
That doesn't make any sense. I had a vague idea, then he clarified for me.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense. I had a vague idea, then he clarified for me.
Vague = meaning unclear, meaning you were not 100% sure, meaning you don't know, meaning you needed clarification. Meaning if you were clear, you would not have started the thread. How does that not make sense. Like I said, you prolly still don't get it anyway. Your weird fascinations will only be quenched once you move from Long Island to Queens, that's really all it boils down to. You're just on the outside looking in. You should print all of these threads out with your questions and take them with you when you move.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 02-08-2018 at 08:24 PM..

Old 02-08-2018, 07:53 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,282,534 times
11423, 11432, 11433, 11434, 11435, and 11436 are the zip codes for Jamaica. So Hilllside ave to 116th ave along Merrick BLVD. Merrick Blvd to 180th street is Jamaica proper. Addisleigh Park falls within Jamaica. It is listed as both Jamaica and Addisleigh park for address.

All other towns are just lumped in together as Jamaica but they are not Jamaica proper.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Vauge = meaning unclear, meaning you were not 100% sure, meaning you don't know, meaning you needed clarification. Meaning if you were clear, you would not have started the thread. How does that not make sense. Like I said, you prolly still don't get it anyway. Your weird fascinations will only be quenched once you move from Long Island to Queens, that's really all it boils down to. You're just on the outside looking in. You should print all of these threads out with your questions and take them with you when you move.
It doesn't make sense because you implied that if I wasn't sure about something in the first place, that I could never be sure about it.

Like you don't have weird fascinations? Such as starting dumb arguments with me over trivial issues. I'm not giving in this time, so stop replying unless you have meaningful input.

People who have lived in NYC their whole lives ask questions about other neighborhoods all the time. Not many people know the nuances of every last NYC neighborhood and there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:29 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,245,410 times
Quote:
Aside from South Ozone...that is a black neighborhood, or at least used to be, that doesn't use the Jamaica name the same way.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Aside from South Ozone...that is a black neighborhood, or at least used to be, that doesn't use the Jamaica name the same way.
Outsiders would call South Ozone Jamaica....at least north of Rockaway Boulevard

Old 02-08-2018, 09:45 PM

108 posts, read 119,271 times
Anything with 114 can be called Jamaica, But you are talking about the Jamaica as in the main area than it would be

north hillside ave
south linden blvd
west van wych
east 179th Street.

Jamaica estates , Jamaica hills and Briarwood (north of hillside) are way different not just in demographics compared to Jamaica but other things. It has a different police precinct, Jamaica is 103rd , Jamaica estates , Jamaica hills and briarwood are 107th. They even have different community districts. Jamaica is in the 12th, while the other three fall into the 8th.

So putting Jamaica is just a post office thing, you can put say Richmond hill or Jamaica. Ozone park or Jamaica, Queens village or Jamaica. Jamaica hills or Jamaica etc. All these will be correct.

Its like flushing, you can put flushing even if you live in little neck since the zip is 113. etc.
You can put Bayside or flushing etc etc.

Jamaica is part of Queens Community Board 12, which also includes Hollis, St. Albans, Springfield Gardens, Baisley Pond Park, Rochdale Village, and South Jamaica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: