Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 07:27 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times

Advertisements

Never sell!

Rent it out.

That's prime real estate.

Her daughter would be stupid to sell that apt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 07:31 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
And this too! I wasn't thinking about that. The two people I know who bought in now prime Manhattan neighborhoods in the 80s bought for $65 to $100k. Most don't have $150k cash now to put down on a house. She could sell for $2 mill. Buy a nice house in queens for $700k cash and give her daughter $1mil to help her own property ladder journey. She could turn her entire basement into an art studio.

I wonder if the daughter resents her stubbornness. I am just here for her windows and collection of books, not her woe is me stories.

Daughter likely received her shares via the father as a result of divorce. Thus while yes she technically owns half, it isn't as if she put up any of her own money.

Anyway these sort of conflicts happen all the time in even best of families. Guess because so much of NYC (at least in Manhattan) are renters and have come from that background, they just don't know.

Coming from Staten Island am here to tell you have known of and know plenty of people who own co-own property with family members. Usually as the result of inheritance or perhaps a divorce; but things by and large don't always go smoothly.

Mother of a good friend of mine died > ten years ago (the father had been dead for over twelve by then), and the siblings co-inherited the house. They are *still* squabbling over selling or whatever that property.

There also have been some very horrible outcomes when a child "forces" a parent to sell property so they can realize their inheritance or whatever. Seniors have found themselves shut away in a nursing home or some squalid small apartment somewhere. This and or also being diddled out of whatever portion of money came from sale. This is often because the children or child will use *that* money to pay for nursing home or whatever.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:33 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You don't know that.....

First and foremost there will be a financial hit for selling (capital gains).

Yeah. Real estate is one of those assets that look good only on paper because once you sell...
Didn't Roosevelt (Theodore, I think) say that the secret to wealth longevity is to seldom sell & just hold property for as long as you can.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:35 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Never sell!

Rent it out.

That's prime real estate.

Her daughter would be stupid to sell that apt.

This is a co-op and again thus there are likely restrictions on renting.

Given what this woman has said it is also likely her neighbors/the board aren't going to do any favors by allowing long term rentals.

Long as you are staying in your apartment and having "guests" there isn't much a LL or even co-op/condo board can do. Well long as you and or the guests aren't violating any building rules.

For the record this explains why condo sales/developments are booming while co-ops are cooling. Many condo buildings have far more lenient owner rental policies than co-ops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: