Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 12:27 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Ignore them, Johanna. This site features all seven NYC Trump supporters outside Staten Island. As far as I can tell, most (not all) of the comments are from people who are mad more people aren't openly racist.

East of FDB and approaching the bridge, 145th st. visibly gets grittier, also more industrial (two gas stations, a total rarity in Manhattan these days). I would say that it is not unmanageable for someone used to urban life, but the dropoff in foot traffic means you'll need a little extra care. I lived nearby, and the tradeoff is the ABCD express subway stop, the 24-hour supermarket, the NY Sports Club (not a lot of gyms nearby last time I looked), and what used to be the only Starbucks for miles (that may have changed now). You can also walk over the bridge to Target.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvres View Post
I agree with randomperson2. Don't apologize - these people are inappropriately badgering you. Ignore them. The area you are asking about is very gritty and probably not a place you want to be if you are unfamiliar with NYC. I think the areas noted in Queens are very good alternatives, and are in fact where many interns in our company reside if they are from abroad. I think from an overall experience perspective you would be better off not considering the area you mentioned.
Yeah I thought a lot of those answers were inappropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 04:06 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
145th & 7th is ratchet. No doubt about it

Old 02-12-2018, 04:46 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsg84U4Zi2s

Old 02-13-2018, 09:17 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannalgg View Post
Can I ask why you hate it?
Map calls the area dangerous:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...717012012&z=15

It is surrounded by widespread pockets of poverty, aka NYCHA.

I think you would hate living there, as much as I would avoid WALKING there.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:20 AM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times
I wouldn't take a map too seriously that appears to be based primarily on NYCHA locations. All of Alphabet City in yellow?

OP, if at all possible, I would visit the neighborhood yourself. Everyone's assuming you're some pampered European, but, for all we know, you are from some tough banlieu (whatever the Belgian equivalent is). You should be able to get a feel for how it is relative to your own tolerances pretty quickly. This is not an area I would choose just because it's in Manhattan if you have choices you like in BK, etc., nor would I recommend it for Susie out of Ohio, or anyone naive to city life, but there are million-plus-dollar condos two blocks away. Being blunt, in that kind of neighborhood, except for a tiny minority who will try to screw with you because of your skin color, most people will leave you alone in your whiteness. Due to biases, you will automatically look more respectable and affluent than you may actually be, especially to cops. The real worry is not "hoodness," but that foot traffic dries up the further east you go, and that is a safety concern. So...it's a balance.

Also, I hope you are not trying to rent via Craigslist long-distance--excellent way to get scammed.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:17 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
On those maps, isn't yellow "don't walk with your face glued to your phone" territory? I think that's a fairly accurate representation of Alphabet City from a general Manhattan perspective. I came home and someone airbnbing had gotten mugged and couldn't get into her apartment. The situation she described was an obvious "I have money" case. I gave her a small blanket so she wouldn't catch cold on the cold tenement floor (this was last January and I had gotten home from a punk concert around 7a, lol!).

Ave A has a bit more ratchet nightlife (Pyramid, Doc Holidays, Sing Sing, etc.) and I do love that (sing grungy music at the bar and get lit with $4 whiskeys). Ave B is actually really nice and fairly quiet imo. Ave C feels run down and not as lively as B and C (projects going towards 14th as well), Ave D is still projects territory with the only worthwhile place being the Crown Fried Chicken since the Kennedy Fried Chicken closed in Chinatown (rest in peace). None of it is really dangerous, but I can see how it's more likely than say West Village to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Just my take living nearby, frequenting the area at least once a week.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:19 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
On those maps, isn't yellow "don't walk with your face glued to your phone" territory? I think that's a fairly accurate representation of Alphabet City from a general Manhattan perspective. I came home and someone airbnbing had gotten mugged and couldn't get into her apartment. The situation she described was an obvious "I have money" case. I gave her a small blanket so she wouldn't catch cold on the cold tenement floor (this was last January and I had gotten home from a punk concert around 7a, lol!).

Ave A has a bit more ratchet nightlife (Pyramid, Doc Holidays, Sing Sing, etc.) and I do love that (sing grungy music at the bar and get lit with $4 whiskeys). Ave B is actually really nice and fairly quiet imo. Ave C feels run down and not as lively as B and C (projects going towards 14th as well), Ave D is still projects territory with the only worthwhile place being the Crown Fried Chicken since the Kennedy Fried Chicken closed in Chinatown (rest in peace). None of it is really dangerous, but I can see how it's more likely than say West Village to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Just my take living nearby, frequenting the area at least once a week.
Avenue A and B are fully gentrified in my opinion, I don't think they deserve any more of a "yellow shading" than say, 2nd ave in the same neighborhood

Old 02-13-2018, 01:43 PM

453 posts, read 317,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Avenue A and B are fully gentrified in my opinion, I don't think they deserve any more of a "yellow shading" than say, 2nd ave in the same neighborhood
Dude the most dangerous parts of Manhattan are in midtown.
https://maps.nyc.gov/crime/

Old 02-13-2018, 01:46 PM

453 posts, read 317,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannalgg View Post
Ok, thanks so much, this really helps! I’m looking at some properties in Brooklyn as well (coliving houses and the like), and the commute is longer, but maybe a better option safety wise!

listen to me. if you gonna live uptown keep it west of Edgecome. the area you are looking at might be a bit too hood for you, and frankly it lacks the amenities you would like to have. but a bit more west is a cool area. with restaurants and bars, i am talking just a few more blocks. stick to Hamilton heights.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:15 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
Dude the most dangerous parts of Manhattan are in midtown.
https://maps.nyc.gov/crime/
Yeah. Ave A & B are fine. And I've been there late at night. It's full of people milling about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City