Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 12:37 PM

11 posts, read 56,128 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys:

So this is the story--I matched into a program for residency located in the Bronx (183rd/3rd) and now I am moving to NYC without a clue! I have been doing research about housing, costs of living, etc, but it's confusing. I am hoping that some of you can give me some tips, especially those familiar with the Bronx, before I make my big move. Some info about me: I will be making around 45,000/yr and currently am single. No other financial burdens at this point in my life. Relatively social person, like the city life but asthetics, cleanliness and enviorment are important for me to thrive. I come from Michigan, lived in the comfortable confines of white suburbia, cost of living is pretty cheap here--I know it's gonna be a big change! Most of my time in NYC will be dedicated to work.

These are a few questions I have:

1. What kind of life can I expect to live making 45k per/yr living in NYC?

2. What other things should I figure into my budget that I may be missing? Cost of parking (if I bring my vehicle)? What else? Using the transit system?

3. What areas of the Bronx are safe to live in other than Riverdale and are relatively inexpensive (less than 1000k/mnth lets say)? Is it inevitable that with my salary that I may need to get a roomie?

4. What areas outside the Bronx can I live in and comfortably commute to work from? I know that Wsh hts is relatively close. Some have recommened Inwood, Yonkers, Weschester county (maybe too far) Anywhere else? I am hoping commute time is less than 25m-30m each way every day.

5. What areas would I need to have a vehicle in order to commute? What areas really don't require a vehicle?

6. What can be said about 183rd/3rd area? Is it safe to live around there?

7. Other than craig's list, are there any other recommened sites that can be used to find housing?

8. A big part of my life is my health. I know there are 2 Bally's in the bronx. Are they pretty nice places to work out at? How about fresh produce? Is is easy to get to a meijers or some other grocery markets from the bronx without a terrible commute or waiting over 1 or 2 wks to do my major shopping?

I know I am missing other questions that will probably come up later.
Thanks guys in advance for your help!!

---
A Confused Soul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 01:01 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
It might help if we knew with which hospital you matched...I'm not a genius about the Bronx, but I do know about the hospitals. If there's parking at the hospital, you might want to live in Westchester and drive to work.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:11 PM

11 posts, read 56,128 times
St. Barnabas. cost 60/mnth to park there. yay

Old 03-23-2008, 01:47 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
I don't think you want to live near 'The Barn.' You're better off living somewhere like Yonkers or elsewhere in Westchester and driving to work.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:03 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitguy View Post
Hey Guys:
Hi

These are a few questions I have:

Quote:
You won't be living a luxurious life. With that income you can make it in the lower income sections of the city. However, these lower income hoods have quality of life issues such as crime and drugs.

Quote:
2. What other things should I figure into my budget that I may be missing? Cost of parking (if I bring my vehicle)? What else? Using the transit system?
In the Bronx you may find parking from time to time. However, if you're going into the city you may need to pay for parking. You can get an unlimited metro card for $81 and it lasts about a month. But if you have a car, why would you need public transportation?

Quote:
3. What areas of the Bronx are safe to live in other than Riverdale and are relatively inexpensive (less than 1000k/mnth lets say)? Is it inevitable that with my salary that I may need to get a roomie?
Hmmm....Pelham bay, Parkchester, Bedford park, Norwood. Check one of the above......some blocks in the above are bad but you should be able to find quiet ones aswell. Also I think rents are below $1000 in some of them. With your salary you CAN live ok in lower income sections. But if you want safety then it's possible that you may need to room with someone else.

Quote:
4. What areas outside the Bronx can I live in and comfortably commute to work from? I know that Wsh hts is relatively close. Some have recommened Inwood, Yonkers, Weschester county (maybe too far) Anywhere else? I am hoping commute time is less than 25m-30m each way every day.
Washington Heights and Inwood currently have low crime rates. But they have a strong drug culture. The Heights is the biggest drug location in the north east. If I was a betting man, I would expect crime to rise...and it already has this year. Rent is slighlty higher than the Bronx but they're also safer than the Bronx. To sum it up, if you have to choose between Uptown or the Bronx, go Uptown. The lower part of Yonkers is a flat out ghetto. It may be too far a travel aswell.

Quote:
5. What areas would I need to have a vehicle in order to commute? What areas really don't require a vehicle?
Not many. The central Bronx(3rd ave - Southern blvd) has lack of train service. Cars are a must there....unless you want to take buses everywhere. The Heights and Inwood have good transportation...no need for a car.

Quote:
The NYPD has a few impact areas in the Bronx. Areas were violent crime are common. The projects in Mott Haven are one, 183rd to Fordham from Jerome to GC are another AND 183rd to Fordham from GC to Webster is the other. There are a few other target zones but those I recall. Basically that location falls in the last one. 183rd street along with 196th, 194th, Watson ave and a few other's have a strong drug trade. I dont really think it's safe to tell you the truth. It's targeted by the NYPD for a reason. There are much much much better areas. Avoid that one please.

Quote:
7. Other than craig's list, are there any other recommened sites that can be used to find housing?
Check the NY Times.

Quote:
8. A big part of my life is my health. I know there are 2 Bally's in the bronx. Are they pretty nice places to work out at? How about fresh produce? Is is easy to get to a meijers or some other grocery markets from the bronx without a terrible commute or waiting over 1 or 2 wks to do my major shopping?
I was a member of the Bally on the Concourse past Fordham rd. I liked it. People are helpfull and they tend to all your basic needs. In the Bronx you will find groceries and fresh produce everywhere. That wont be a problem.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

That area you chose is really bad, but you're from Detroit so you should be accustomed to crime. But really there are much better areas to look at.....with cheap rent aswell......just do a little research and you'll be ok.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:10 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
In the Bronx you might want to check out some areas of the Northwest Bronx (Riverdale/North Riverdale/Woodlawn) which are pretty much Jewish or Irish, or the Eastern Bronx (Throggs Neck/Country Club) which are mostly Italian.

Other than that I would suggest you look into eastern Yonkers.

Making $45k a year you can only probably afford about $900 - $1,000 a month in rent. That will limit you in your choices of 1br's, although you will definitely have a good selection of studios at that range. I've seen plenty of studios in Eastern Yonkers for around $900 a month.

Most of the nicer towns and neighborhoods in Westchester county will be out of your price range. Most of the Bronx is a little bit sketchy, so I wouldn't reccomend you to move there coming straight from the suburbs of Detroit. If you decide to move to the Bronx try to stick to the safer neighborhoods that I listed. It would be entirely way too much of a culture shock if you move from your area to some hood neighborhood in the Bronx.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:38 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Sounds like a good gym is important to you - you might want to go on the site of NYSC and check their locations. This could end up being very important as far as the location you choose to live. I've been to three different Ballys branches in Manhattan and one was very basic. The other two were nicer but still not so great - guess it depends on what you're used to. The NYSCs are much better.

NYSC

Old 03-23-2008, 07:39 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,601 times
There is a 24hr gym on eastchester rd just a block from pelham pkwy north. It's right across the 49th precinct basically. So you could also live in teh pelham pkwy area and use the bx-12 to work if you don't bring your car

Last edited by bx718; 03-23-2008 at 09:13 PM..

Old 03-24-2008, 07:53 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
I would recommend somewhere suburby or not so urban in the Bronx or Westchester (maybe Yonkers or New Rochelle) where you could probably just drive to work. In the Bronx you might want to look into Throggs Neck, Pelham, or some place like that. I honestly don't know too much about these suburban areas or if they have reasonable rentals available. But that type of area would be the best fit for you. Moving someplace too urban might be a little too much of a shock for you, plus I got the feeling you didn't want to part with your car.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:34 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,825 times
[quote=detroitguy;3227823]

Relatively social person, like the city life but asthetics, cleanliness and enviorment are important for me to thrive. I come from Michigan, lived in the comfortable confines of white suburbia, cost of living is pretty cheap here--I know it's gonna be a big change!

Most of the Bronx is not clean at all. You are in for culture shock. Might want to spend some time in the bad parts of Detroit to acclimate yourself to the Bronx.

Not much.

Also add car insurance. Best to avoid the Bronx subways on night calls.

3. What areas of the Bronx are safe to live in other than Riverdale and are relatively inexpensive (less than 1000k/mnth lets say)?

None. Stick with Riverdale.

I'd go with Riverdale. But parts of cities in southern Westchester are doable. Anywhere else will be culture shock.

Only Manhattan doesn't really require a car.

No.

Try your residency admin.

8. A big part of my life is my health. I know there are 2 Bally's in the bronx. Are they pretty nice places to work out at?

I personally didn't like Bally's ghetto vibe. No hot chicks either.

How about fresh produce? Is is easy to get to a meijers or some other grocery markets from the bronx without a terrible commute or waiting over 1 or 2 wks to do my major shopping?

There's fresh produce everywhere in NYC. I don't know about Bronx grocery stores, but even in Manhattan, a lot of grocery stores are tiny and overpriced and would make you swear you were in the ghetto.

It's a bit too late now, but you should've busted your ass on your Steps to get into a better residency in a better area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City