Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2019, 11:06 AM

1,757 posts, read 2,134,453 times

Advertisements

A few months ago a guy in my garage with like 3 or 4 years on left to go start the FDNY academy. He was back in 3 days. If you're not a legacy and have connections FDNY is rough especially with the PC bull**** that has infected that department.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:20 AM

205 posts, read 335,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnwhyme View Post
Take both and see where you're at in 1.5 years. If u hate the job then take FDNY. Also, once you're off probation of dsny , u can leave for another city agency and you have a year to come back. For example, if you're hired July 2019. you'll be off probation January 2021. If u switch to FD after this date, you can do a year with FDNY and decide if you want to stay or not. You're seniority and place in garage will be held for you for a year so if u do return u go right back to where u left off. Pursue both and then make that decision. Either way, there is no wrong choice. There was a guy in my garage who turned down FD last minute because he like dsny more than he thought he would.
Gotcha didn’t know that, thanks a lot. I’ll definitely stay in the FDNY process while at Sanitation then.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH1187 View Post
Why wouldnt you start your city time with DSNY if FD is over a year away? Also once you are off probation you can leave dsny and have a year to come back if you dont like FD.
100% I’ll be starting DSNY either way. Was wondering if it’d be worth staying in the FDNY process too. Didn’t know about the 1 year grace period to transfer back though. Seems like they’re both great jobs too.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
A few months ago a guy in my garage with like 3 or 4 years on left to go start the FDNY academy. He was back in 3 days. If you're not a legacy and have connections FDNY is rough especially with the PC bull**** that has infected that department.
Thanks for the insight, I know one of the recently retired lieutenants in FDNY but not sure if that would do much for me. To be honest I’d rather pick up trash than run into burning buildings lol. I’ll just stay in both processes and see what happens.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:30 PM

220 posts, read 220,544 times
Hey fellas my medical results came back hepatitis b.........is that the end for me or can I fight it

Old 06-22-2019, 03:30 PM

8 posts, read 15,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnwhyme View Post
Theres some OT , each garage is different . But you're not making 36k your first year. My first year i made over 50k with minimal OT, could have made more but didnt work many charts or sundays. I'm pretty sure DSNY pension is better but not sure. What's salary for train conductor?
$34 per hr starting. Top pay $43.60 after 7 years.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:37 PM

8 posts, read 15,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonydsny View Post
100% I’ll be starting DSNY either way. Was wondering if it’d be worth staying in the FDNY process too. Didn’t know about the 1 year grace period to transfer back though. Seems like they’re both great jobs too.
If it means anything...I ran into some FDNY recruiters at DMV and I asked about the age cutoff. I mentioned to them that I was in the process for DSNY and told them my score. They're response was "oh you're good...they have slightly better benefits anyway".

Old 06-22-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayzie View Post
If it means anything...I ran into some FDNY recruiters at DMV and I asked about the age cutoff. I mentioned to them that I was in the process for DSNY and told them my score. They're response was "oh you're good...they have slightly better benefits anyway".
Got you yeah I heard the same thing about benefits. Just spoke to my buddy who is in FDNY and he loves it. He basically said either way you’ll be happy. I might transfer to FDNY if I get through the process and see how it is down the road after DSNY probation.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:28 PM

529 posts, read 725,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjay1 View Post
Hey fellas my medical results came back hepatitis b.........is that the end for me or can I fight it
Nah with that you can’t fight to get on. You are a hazard to the rest of the workers.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:02 PM

220 posts, read 220,544 times
It wasnt a disqualification letter said I can fix that with a shot if I get put on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City