Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2019, 08:24 PM

205 posts, read 336,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
They are essentially the same thing

457 = If you are retiring before 59 1/2 and want to start taking money out with no penalties before the age of 59

401k = If you are retiring over the age of 59 1/2 and will withdrwal from your account after this age with no penalites.

Do Both of if you can afford it for double the retirement savings since each only has a limit of $19k per year contribution.

457 is essentially a 401k for municipal workers only since municipal workers routinely retire before the age of 59 1/2
Gotcha appreciate it, seems like a no brainer if there arent many factors beyond that.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:11 AM

84 posts, read 150,060 times
Make sure you do after tax. Some guys preach to do pre tax contributions cause you won’t feel it in your check. But when you file your taxes at the end of the year. You have to pay state tax in one lump sum for those contributions. You pay federal when you withdraw it. It’s the States way of making sure they get there money. Cause theoretically you can live in Florida when you retire. A no tax state. New York isn’t gonna let you skate tax free on money you earned here. No way to cheat Uncle Sam. So in my opinion. Pay your taxes now. Or forfeit your return every year

Old 07-11-2019, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanman6275 View Post
Make sure you do after tax. Some guys preach to do pre tax contributions cause you won’t feel it in your check. But when you file your taxes at the end of the year. You have to pay state tax in one lump sum for those contributions. You pay federal when you withdraw it. It’s the States way of making sure they get there money. Cause theoretically you can live in Florida when you retire. A no tax state. New York isn’t gonna let you skate tax free on money you earned here. No way to cheat Uncle Sam. So in my opinion. Pay your taxes now. Or forfeit your return every year
Ah so basically it’s the same ****. I agree might as well let your money pile up tax free over the years if the state tax is going to stay the same. So I’m guessing you would go with the IRA 401k first right since that’s after tax with a higher cap? I don’t even know if they match at all for the 401k

Old 07-11-2019, 05:53 AM

Yes I do Roth all the way. I like getting a tax return. I did pre tax my first year. And got rammed when I did my return and couldn’t figure out why. Then my accountant broke it down for me

Old 07-11-2019, 07:12 AM

450 posts, read 474,476 times
You realize that by getting a tax return you're overpaying throughout the year and giving the govt an interest free loan, right? The goal is to not get a tax return. Brings me back to guys complaining about trumps tax cuts negatively affecting their return. Lol! You pay less your returns gonna be smaller. One would think common sense...Roth is for low earners and high earners. Traditional all the way for the middle class. The Roth vs traditional debate comes down to this: will taxes be higher or lower when you start pulling money out? The answer to that question is anybody's guess.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimgarbage View Post
You realize that by getting a tax return you're overpaying throughout the year and giving the govt an interest free loan, right? The goal is to not get a tax return. Brings me back to guys complaining about trumps tax cuts negatively affecting their return. Lol! You pay less your returns gonna be smaller. One would think common sense...Roth is for low earners and high earners. Traditional all the way for the middle class. The Roth vs traditional debate comes down to this: will taxes be higher or lower when you start pulling money out? The answer to that question is anybody's guess.
But if the 401k has a match then it could be worth it because the amount matched can outweigh the difference. I still don't know if they match though

Old 07-11-2019, 09:18 AM

[quote=manimgarbage;55640486]You realize that by getting a tax return you're overpaying throughout the year and giving the govt an interest free loan, right? The goal is to not get a tax return. Brings me back to guys complaining about trumps tax cuts negatively affecting their return. Lol! You pay less your returns gonna be smaller. One would think common sense...Roth is for low earners and high earners. Traditional all the way for the middle class. The Roth vs traditional debate comes down to this: will taxes be higher or lower when you start pulling money out? The answer to that question is anybody's
I’m married with 2 kids own a house and have always claimed single 0. And when I did pre tax I had to pay when I did my return. So maybe I should claim married 2. Do pre tax and get hit with a $10,00 bill when I file. Great idea.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonydsny View Post
But if the 401k has a match then it could be worth it because the amount matched can outweigh the difference. I still don't know if they match though
No there is no matching.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:50 AM

450 posts, read 474,476 times
I'm obviously not a tax attorney or an accountant but it sounds like you're commuting tax fraud...

Old 07-11-2019, 12:57 PM

324 posts, read 529,972 times
I did both. 5% in 401 and 5% in 457. Reason being is that I had a nice 401k from my previous job and you cannot rollover a 401k into a 457 , so I rolled it over to my sanitation 401. Best of both worlds ,plus it diversifies your money .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City