Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2019, 01:56 PM

512 posts, read 765,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietvam View Post
Wonder when the foreman list is coming out. Anyone hear anything?
They have to go through the protest process.....then they must evaluate every question that was protested, regrade every test, throw in seniority for those who passed and then the list will be created

Old 11-20-2019, 02:15 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudini4242 View Post
They have to go through the protest process.....then they must evaluate every question that was protested, regrade every test, throw in seniority for those who passed and then the list will be created
6 months ... dcas is slowwwwwwww

Old 11-24-2019, 09:27 PM

12 posts, read 19,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBanker View Post
Yes you bounce in the beginning but now the city of NY actually pays me to pick up my own garbage and wave to my neighbors. Those drop off locations in my hood that I would complain about I pick up, you ain't bringing down my property value. Best job in the city by far!
Come on, doesn't beat FDNY

Old 11-24-2019, 09:37 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,469,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStCrook View Post
Then go find a FDNY thread...

Also, tell me why I know two former firefighters and several cops who have come to DSNY?

Old 11-24-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudini4242 View Post
Originally Posted by Marcwithacee
This job sucks. I never get to see my family because i worked everyday I was supposed to be off this week and did overtime on 2 others. Waaaaaaaaaah Then my 2 friends were on vacation so I had to use my ezpass EVERYDAY because no carpool. I hate this crappy job. You’ll never guess what else happened this week- my truck went down so I had to use a real POS where the handles didn’t work on the left side unless you stayed there and babysat them. I really thought about quitting that day. Then tomorrow I’m gonna be on recycling so you know my day is going to be THAT MUCH LONGER. Ugh I hate this department I should have got a job at corrections. PRAY FOR ME #JUNIORGUYPROBLEMS
Let me give you a little insight from someone who's in private industry. I started a business in 2011 (I worked for an online sales firm then branched out on my own, without family help or any footing whatsoever) and it grew very well and by 2012 I was grossing over $1m in sales and and netting about $200k in my pocket...at 24 years of age. I was killing it, and killed it until about 2015 and sales started to decline. Luckily I saved up, bought a two family house and now I have a wife and a kid. The problem is, sales steadily declined, competition increased, duties and tariffs went up, and my margins got slim. Expenses are HIGH in NYC, and while I didn't stagnate and did mostly whatever I could do to adapt to the market trends, I haven't been able to generate the revenue I was generating years back. That being said, I've taken all the city tests and got called for FDNY.

My point here is that the job market and economy are extremely spotty, and if you don't already have special skills, you'll probably have a tough time making DSNY money in private industry and also definitely won't be able to get the pension and benefits. You'll likely be working into your 60s or later without the city job. It's super rare when you see private industry people nowadays retiring before they get social security. The people I know today are either unskilled and work minimum wage (or close to it), are skilled (e.g. accountants) and make good money essentially as much as DSNY at top pay plus fringe/overtime ($120k range), or city workers (PAPD, FDNY, DSNY, NYPD). Who do you think does best out of those three groups? By far the city workers. Guys I know that'd otherwise be working at Target are making $150k, AND they'll be retiring with a fat pension soon. That's not even possible by a long shot in the private sector. Now, I don't know what your skill set (if any) is outside of DSNY. But if you don't have special skills, or a family business or some other unique situation that'll make you as much money, with benefits, with a pension as this job, I suggest you deal with the bull****, because believe me, the options out there are FAR worse and that's why people call these jobs golden tickets. I went from making $200k at 24 completely on my terms (working when I want, going out to play handball on sunny weekdays, booking trips to LA and Hawaii on a whim) to taking a city job, nothing in private industry is set in stone or lasts forever, but when you have a contract with the city you at least know you can retire with dignity in 22+ years. Most young people nowadays won't have that luxury so wake up everyday and tell yourself that and be thankful that you do!!!

Old 11-25-2019, 01:20 AM

450 posts, read 474,862 times
Dsny has a way better pension than fdny. If anybody cared to look into the financial reports it's done awfully well throughout the dot com and housing bubble. It's not billions in the hole. Guys aren't scheming to leave with 3/4. If they get it, they deserve it. That's the main reason I took this job a year ago, or was it a decade ago? I forget lol

Old 11-25-2019, 03:13 AM

316 posts, read 489,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStCrook View Post
You're right you should go work for them.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:34 AM

501 posts, read 584,633 times
People complaining about the job lol I mean whoever is complaining can leave and open up spots for those of us who are hungry at the opportunity to work for DSNY

Old 11-25-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimgarbage View Post
Dsny has a way better pension than fdny. If anybody cared to look into the financial reports it's done awfully well throughout the dot com and housing bubble. It's not billions in the hole. Guys aren't scheming to leave with 3/4. If they get it, they deserve it. That's the main reason I took this job a year ago, or was it a decade ago? I forget lol
Why would that matter to guys getting otj? It's all backed by the taxpayer anyway.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:57 AM

450 posts, read 474,862 times
Because this jobs about the benefits with the pension being at the top of that benefits list?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City