Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2019, 10:52 AM

152 posts, read 254,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonydsny View Post
Why do you think FDNY is better than DSNY? Just curious since I’m in both processes.
I dont, but they have better pay and better schedule. Easier to have a social/family life over there. Here is kind of rough depending on a few factors. If you sign nights, you can avoid bouncing around tho

Old 02-27-2019, 11:06 AM

205 posts, read 335,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish12 View Post
I dont, but they have better pay and better schedule. Easier to have a social/family life over there. Here is kind of rough depending on a few factors. If you sign nights, you can avoid bouncing around tho
Gotcha thanks for the info.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:07 AM

529 posts, read 725,540 times
Every garage is different. A class coming in soon which means transfers opening up. I just Started and have made the same amount of money as those with some more time on. Job is not bad at all. If you can’t handle the garbage take a tissue. Or do baskets. Sign nights make night diff. Say yes to charts and Sundays and holidays. Sign emergency list. All different ways to make money.

Maybe your girl used this job as an excuse to leave you. If she loved you she would ride with you thru the journey. Find a better girl. Matter fact let’s link up I’m a great wingman

Old 02-27-2019, 11:13 AM

3,672 posts, read 3,398,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnwhyme View Post
Guys everyone do yourself a favor. Dsny is a good job but if you have other options please consider. My girlfriend broke up with me , i have no free time, I get bounced like crazy get the worst of worst assignments and got stuck in a horrible area in a disgusting garage. All I do is sleep when I dont work. Can't go out with friends because I do not know what time I have work the next day and have fear I'll get papped. I'm broke can't afford rent , but yeah I won the lotto? I know it will get better eventually but this is real life for your first 2 -3 years. Go to school do something meaningful in life . Yes money is good after top pay but I'd wish I'd have gone to school.to be a paramedic, doctor , nurse etc becuaz this job is meaningless a monkey could do it. Break your back for 20 yrs but get a 40k a yr pension. Which included hip and knee replacements. Take tissue spot or become a supervisor asap, dont chase the truck.
All honesty , it is a good job but people only take it for benefits. If you can get on fdny or NYPD do that instead, sorry to be so negative just venting, and being real
Very few people take this on for the money. They take it for the security and guaranteed retirement that most other private companies cannot guarantee.

I came from 20 years working in the private sector where they can fire you at any time for any reason and hope that your 401k is enough to retire on.

I make much much less money now with starting pay, but it's nice to wake up every morning knowing that I can't just be fired because my boss doesn't like me.

I'll get back to the money I was earning before eventually. Just have to be patient.

This job isn't for everyone. Perhaps step out of the way and let someone in who understands what this job is.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:15 AM

324 posts, read 528,960 times
FDNY 10000% just for the schedule alone . Free time with family /friends is invaluable. Able to travel, have second job etc. On the other hand, getting promoted fast is real in DSNY. I've spoke to superintendents with as little as 8 yrs on. They make fantastic money. There are a lot of variables which can make this job crappy or great. If you're 24 yo with no rent mortgage, dont care about going out, this job is great. If you're 30-40 with mortgage, kids, high rent , this job schedule can be very tough. Also depending where you live can make or break this job. Living on south shore of staten island sucks because you will have a commute and be paying tolls for a while. If you're lucky you'll get Brooklyn south garage which is somewhat close.to.home but seniority is tough . If you live in Brooklyn and work bk north garages or upper Manhattan you'll get better seniority faster. If you live in queens you can be at work in no time because there are so many garages that are accessible from all areas of queens . This job is 80% staten islanders , which makes it tough to.work in staten island because everyone wants it. A guy just transferred to a staten island garage with 8 years on and is still considered a bottom guy getting longest heaviest routes, MLP etc. .. that being said there are SWs at my garage pulling in 6 figures a year easily. So with time makes it better but you really gotta eat crap first. Not to mention the lack of respect from public , getting threatened for clogging up a street, getting beeped at , getting disgusting sh!++y trucks with broken mirrors, broken heat. Rats maggots. There are pros and cons but right now the cons outweigh the pros for me, like I said. I know it will get better but getting to the point where its "the best job in the city " takes a solid 5 years. And the best job in the city applies.to San workers. Not supervisors. I'm taking the promo test this year but honestly not even sure I would take it when the time.comes, to each his own. Am I grateful for this job, yes. Because to retire in 20 with a good pension is nice. Would I want my kids to take this job, no. I would encourage them to take different career paths .

Old 02-27-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnwhyme View Post
FDNY 10000% just for the schedule alone . Free time with family /friends is invaluable. Able to travel, have second job etc. On the other hand, getting promoted fast is real in DSNY. I've spoke to superintendents with as little as 8 yrs on. They make fantastic money. There are a lot of variables which can make this job crappy or great. If you're 24 yo with no rent mortgage, dont care about going out, this job is great. If you're 30-40 with mortgage, kids, high rent , this job schedule can be very tough. Also depending where you live can make or break this job. Living on south shore of staten island sucks because you will have a commute and be paying tolls for a while. If you're lucky you'll get Brooklyn south garage which is somewhat close.to.home but seniority is tough . If you live in Brooklyn and work bk north garages or upper Manhattan you'll get better seniority faster. If you live in queens you can be at work in no time because there are so many garages that are accessible from all areas of queens . This job is 80% staten islanders , which makes it tough to.work in staten island because everyone wants it. A guy just transferred to a staten island garage with 8 years on and is still considered a bottom guy getting longest heaviest routes, MLP etc. .. that being said there are SWs at my garage pulling in 6 figures a year easily. So with time makes it better but you really gotta eat crap first. Not to mention the lack of respect from public , getting threatened for clogging up a street, getting beeped at , getting disgusting sh!++y trucks with broken mirrors, broken heat. Rats maggots. There are pros and cons but right now the cons outweigh the pros for me, like I said. I know it will get better but getting to the point where its "the best job in the city " takes a solid 5 years. And the best job in the city applies.to San workers. Not supervisors. I'm taking the promo test this year but honestly not even sure I would take it when the time.comes, to each his own. Am I grateful for this job, yes. Because to retire in 20 with a good pension is nice. Would I want my kids to take this job, no. I would encourage them to take different career paths .
Why not take the FDNY test next time it comes up and transfers. There are benefits and downfalls to every job though. If something like 9/11 happens again then fdny will be there. Your circadian rhythm from having 24 hours on or more every week will have a real negative effect in the long run. Every job has it’s downfalls, it just depends which ones you’re willing to deal with. It’s funny that you brought up “if you’re 24 without a mortgage or kids and don’t go out etc. that this would be a great job”...that’s exactly me lol.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:57 AM

70 posts, read 112,820 times
This aint a job for everyone but your telling me you rather risk getting shot stabbed or killed or run into a burning building than pick up trash .... you dont like it give up ya spot for someone else so theyll hire 176 this year ... sounds like you were working behind a desk ya last job lol

Old 02-27-2019, 12:33 PM

84 posts, read 149,803 times
Forget seniority. I want charts. Hiring freeze please.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:09 PM

442 posts, read 812,227 times
Yeah I miss making my chart every week. The day line GUs in my garage were breaking 100k last year. To the guy complaining about the job- yeah it sucks in the beginning, but it gets better bro.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcwithacee View Post
Yeah I miss making my chart every week. The day line GUs in my garage were breaking 100k last year. To the guy complaining about the job- yeah it sucks in the beginning, but it gets better bro.
What do you mean by making your chart? Like just overtime or what
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.