Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2019, 04:44 PM

779 posts, read 998,545 times

Advertisements

Went to Colombia Society, Asian Society, Emerald Society and Spanish Society, I didn't make it to every class, but went to many, and even when I missed a class I got the material from someone. Read the supervisors manual twice, and skimmed through the 3rd time.

Between paying the member dues, traveling to the classes, they only helped me answer about 10-15 questions.

If I pass the test then I'll accept the fact they helped me, if I failed, the classes were absolutely useless.

Likewise I think I did OK, I'll be surprised if I passed.

Should have been more communication between the people that make the questions and society presidents. I'm not saying slip them the actual questions. But to be more realistic on the actual topics and concept of the test to practice. There was nothing about radio codes, nothing about about any of the logs, except when to order the fuel book, no illustration of the smart board. Too much class study was emphasized on stuff that wasn't on the exam.

Can't believe they asked what priority number is 3 leaking urinals, truly a slap in the face to those that studied.

IMO the exam was very much situational along with logic and common sense. I feel confident because I've taken many city exams in the last several years, so that experience helped me form a technique when going about most exams.

The most anyone can get on a test is an 85, then seniority points kick in. If the passing grade is a 70, that means we have to get at least 83 questions correct. Can't wait to see this small promotional list.

Old 04-14-2019, 04:50 PM

442 posts, read 812,283 times
Look at the bright side, if most of you guys fail, they’ll make it open book again next time

Old 04-15-2019, 10:23 AM

254 posts, read 390,105 times
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but worth reminding if anyone is interested in redwings, they give a union discount at the store $15 off. Just show them your ID when you get it.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:37 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,960,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
Went to Colombia Society, Asian Society, Emerald Society and Spanish Society, I didn't make it to every class, but went to many, and even when I missed a class I got the material from someone. Read the supervisors manual twice, and skimmed through the 3rd time.

Between paying the member dues, traveling to the classes, they only helped me answer about 10-15 questions.

If I pass the test then I'll accept the fact they helped me, if I failed, the classes were absolutely useless.

Likewise I think I did OK, I'll be surprised if I passed.

Should have been more communication between the people that make the questions and society presidents. I'm not saying slip them the actual questions. But to be more realistic on the actual topics and concept of the test to practice. There was nothing about radio codes, nothing about about any of the logs, except when to order the fuel book, no illustration of the smart board. Too much class study was emphasized on stuff that wasn't on the exam.

Can't believe they asked what priority number is 3 leaking urinals, truly a slap in the face to those that studied.

IMO the exam was very much situational along with logic and common sense. I feel confident because I've taken many city exams in the last several years, so that experience helped me form a technique when going about most exams.

The most anyone can get on a test is an 85, then seniority points kick in. If the passing grade is a 70, that means we have to get at least 83 questions correct. Can't wait to see this small promotional list.
That’s not how the grading works FYI... the questions are graded first, out of 100... so you can get a 70 and pass, then after that, they multiply how many you got right by .85. So if you got them all right, that would be 85, if you got 70 right, that would be 59.5. Then they add your seniority points to that score, full seniority would be 15 points ... bottom seniority would be 10.5 points.

Also, just saying, almost everything on these tests is in an general order, pap, ops order, memo, mayoral order, department message etc... that urinal question is in fact in a department message on avantis priorities ... facility17 to be exact...

Old 04-15-2019, 05:11 PM

779 posts, read 998,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
That’s not how the grading works FYI... the questions are graded first, out of 100... so you can get a 70 and pass, then after that, they multiply how many you got right by .85. So if you got them all right, that would be 85, if you got 70 right, that would be 59.5. Then they add your seniority points to that score, full seniority would be 15 points ... bottom seniority would be 10.5 points.

Also, just saying, almost everything on these tests is in an general order, pap, ops order, memo, mayoral order, department message etc... that urinal question is in fact in a department message on avantis priorities ... facility17 to be exact...
Yup, that's the math I did, which is how it came out to be, 83 questions correct are needed to get a passing grade. 83 correct answers multiplied by .85 points each = 70.55

I agree mostly everything from the exam is from the departmental orders, memo's and regulations, I have no gripe about the exam itself. I'm more bothered by the time wasted from the repetitive material provided by the study groups, focusing on very basic and common info. They didn't bother going into depth about more random circumstances that can happen any day of the week that have their own procedures on how to go about it. I have no complaints about the test not being open book, that was the reason I studied.

Edit: Mike I just re-read what you wrote, if they grade the 100 questions out of 100 points first, then that's a huge plus! You gave me some more faith in passing LOL

Old 04-15-2019, 05:16 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,960,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
Yup, that's the math I did, which is how it came out to be, 83 questions correct are needed to get a passing grade. 83 correct answers multiplied by .85 points each = 70.55

I agree mostly everything from the exam is from the departmental orders, memo's and regulations, I have no gripe about the exam itself. I'm more bothered by the time wasted from the repetitive material provided by the study groups, focusing on very basic and common info. They didn't bother going into depth about more random circumstances that can happen any day of the week that have their own procedures on how to go about it. I have no complaints about the test not being open book, that was the reason I studied.

Edit: Mike I just re-read what you wrote, if they grade the 100 questions out of 100 points first, then that's a huge plus! You gave me some more faith in passing LOL
Lol yeah they def do bud... you can get 30 wrong and pass

Old 04-15-2019, 05:44 PM

63 posts, read 99,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub718 View Post
Wasn’t hard. Just had to read. All that studying and nothing was on the test
Wasn't hard??? ok, hope u passed then, cause i know a few guys in my garage that threw it in and said they didn't pass, so...

Old 04-15-2019, 05:55 PM

529 posts, read 725,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx911 View Post
Wasn't hard??? ok, hope u passed then, cause i know a few guys in my garage that threw it in and said they didn't pass, so...
Hope I did Also. Just so I can Not take the badge.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:51 PM

712 posts, read 1,202,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub718 View Post
hope i did also. Just so i can not take the badge.
lies

Old 04-17-2019, 11:21 AM

5 posts, read 38,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardown94 View Post
Anyone who took the medical last Wednesday get results yet?
I called up yest & they WERE ABLE to tell me the results
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City